Bug No sound with and without OpenAl

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I lost all sound in Starmade since the latest (2017.05.10) Windows 10 x64 update (KB4019472). I tried everything from switching between bundled and custom Java to a complete reinstall of the game (both using the Steam tool and the starter) to no avail. The only time I could even get an error message and not just the lack of sound was a log that claimed not to have found the OpenAl libraries. My own Java install is up to date.

Edit: after reluctantly still going ingame I also realised my FPS tanked and dropped to half of what it usually is. I did not experience a similar drop in other games and it appeared along with the no sound/could not locate OpenAl library error.

Last edited:

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Alright, so apparently there was an unneeded OpenAl32.dll in my System32 folder, upon renaming that, my sound works again and the FPS is also back to normal. Looks like the game was trying to extract from there instead of the /Starmade/natives/windows folder and went completely haywire when it couldn't.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Alright, so apparently there was an unneeded OpenAl32.dll in my System32 folder, upon renaming that, my sound works again and the FPS is also back to normal. Looks like the game was trying to extract from there instead of the /Starmade/natives/windows folder and went completely haywire when it couldn't.
    Are you in steam or standalone?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    nightrune I have both versions to occasionally tinker with a prebuild/devbuild. I use the Steam version for releases.
    [doublepost=1494948896,1494945852][/doublepost]OK, now it's a different thing, crash when trying to exit to main menu: RuntimeException: org.schema.schine.graphicsengine.core.GLException: Shader not loaded: data\/shader/starsExt/stars.vsh; data\/shader/starsExt/stars.fsh

Reactions: nightrune