No More Surviving Space Without a Helmet

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm sick of seeing players and NPCs floating in space with no helmet. It looks absolutely infantile. Either add a rudimentary atmosphere system or make helmets non-removable.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Later on? yes, right now? no just no.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    A minor cosmetic that is least concern to the devs atm garunteed.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    We need a proper inventory/equip screen before we can properly address this sort of thing.

This falls under the area of "astronaut gameplay improvements" so it's not exactly a high priority issue right now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If this is implimented the death toll will rise into the thousands :,(
    I feel sorry for alll those new players that have already lost their helmet imo.
    I can see the reasoning for it, but I would personaly only like to see it on survival servers.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    We need atmosphere generators of some kind before we implement Death By No Helmet. :)

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Has the bug where your helmet unequips itself even been fixed?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If this is implimented the death toll will rise into the thousands :,(
    I feel sorry for alll those new players that have already lost their helmet imo.
    I can see the reasoning for it, but I would personaly only like to see it on survival servers.
    Why is the helmet a piece of droppable equipment when the space suit isn't? A helmet in space is NOT optional. If anything it should be on by default and optionally removed with a keybind.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    To really make this realistic, we'd need to have atmosphere and leak detection on ships. There'd need to be air pressure inside of ships, but not outside of them. OR we could change shields around to work more like bubbles around a ship or base and then just have anything inside of one of these bubbles to be considered air and anything outside to be considered space. Planets would have their own bubbles of air surrounding them.

But, in any case, as several people have noted already, it wouldn't really be a big priority for the devs, and I'm not sure it should be. Though it would create more of a sense of realism in StarMade, it wouldn't be enough on it's own. And once we go down that path, then we have things like food. And the amount of calculating all this might take would tax the game client more. So really we have to choose where we want the game to be spending it's calculating power. On ship movement? Detecting pressure loss? Or constant positional checks to ensure a player is still within an air bubble?

Personally, I'd like to see the framework for modding laid out for something like this, so then for servers that have more astronaut based experiences, it would be possible.

lochenspace

Redstone Fusion Engineer
    Reaction score
    Honestly I am TOTALLY WITH YOU on the fact that seeing people floating in space without helmets is RIDICULOUS. I really wish that consequences of removing helmets in a vacuum was implemented!