New WIP Destroyer/Cruiser

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think I've finally shaken the builder's block (is that a thing) that's been giving me trouble over the past few weeks. I finally have something going that I really like.

I just spent maybe an hour or so blocking in the basic shape. I'm a fan of smooth hull panels, but I do want to add a lot more detail. Those rectangular glowy things on the bottom are supposed to be some sort of anti-grav by the way.

What do you think? Am I off to a good start? What would you suggest? (Who have I accidentally ripped off? :P)

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, builder's block is a thing. I get it all the time. Also a fan of smooth hulls. Looking good so far!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    And we're back! I made good progress while the forums were down.

I'm pretty happy with these.

I'm not quite done with the barrel, but so far I think I'm off to a good start. In order to give the cupola a low profile while still being able to pack a punch, parts of the turret are sunk into the hull of the main ship. It can't quite elevate 90 degrees up, it only manages about 70 or so degrees. Not a big deal though, since there will be turrets on the top of the ship as well. It is able to elevate down roughly 20 degrees which helps when aiming past the bottom of the ship. This is excellent since the bottom will likely end up having otherwise lighter defense than the top.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    nice looking ship so far ,I like the low profile of the turret(I've been trying the same thing with limited results)

Reaction score
    I've gotta agree with terra, those turrets are mighty fine as well as the color scheme you've chosen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thanks guys :D

The turrets do look good, but I do have some concerns with how the AI will handle them. There are some instances where the rotation hangs up, they might need some more tweaks.

Edit: I experimented with some blinking lights. http://i.imgur.com/CAFngLv.gifv I'm not sure if I'll keep them, they don't really look as good in-game as they do in the gif.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've started working on the interior. I hope to strike a balance between a systems-brick and a form-over-function RP ship. I have two decks with a rail elevator connecting them. On the top deck there is a large command center and a long hallway stretching all the way to the back of the ship to this airlock for the landing pad:

http://i.imgur.com/npGLiDc.gifv

I've started working on the bottom deck, so far I have barracks on one side and officer's quarters on the other. Officers get a tiny room with a bed and a window to themselves, regular troops have to make do with bunks. I also plan to add in an officer's mess and a canteen. I'm going to skip bathrooms and showers, since those rooms wouldn't have windows. Windows are the main reason I want a fancy interior, they add an awesome feeling of depth to the outside of the ship.

On the lower deck there will also be doors for the jetways I want to install on any base where this ship might dock, as well as a loading port for a shipping container. Finally there will be an engineering room, basically just a fancy place to put weapons computers.

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. I like how the lighting effects turned out.

Speaking of lighting effects, here are the barracks:
    And here are the barracks with the emergency lighting turned on:
    I've got the whole ship wired up to be able to go into red alert. :D

Reactions: Rumcajz