New Launcher Doesn't work after Java install?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    ISSUE RESOLVED, SEE EDIT3.

Hi I have an interesting and not too serious problem here.
    To preface this issue I want to give a little history in case it helps. About a month ago a windows update ruined my PC, got stuck in a update/crash loop. I was able to back up quite a bit but still had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 (I know, kill me). Before the fresh install I was running SM just fine, using the new launcher coupled with steam, Java was already installed.

Now to this point of time. I was launching SM just fine out of Steam no problems. I realized that I haven't yet used/installed SMedit and Java since the wipe and I still have ships I want to convert. I installed the correct 64 bit java for my PC and now steam cannot launch the new launcher. Goes as: In Steam Library, Click Play SM, Brief "Running", Brief "Syncing" then nothing. No launch. I however can choose the old launcher option just fine and play without problems. So the problem isn't serious just tedious.
    I'd Appreciate any help.

EDIT: New issue, old launcher can get me to menu, but now it crashes anytime it attempts to load a universe. The game is now unplayable. Im going to attempt a backup+reinstall and see what happens.

EDIT2: Clean install. New launcher works, but with message below. Makes Sense this would appear. I have used the value provided, and also tested many other values, but no luck on universe loading.

EDIT3: Well this is awkward. After testing many values and removing the "_JAVA_OPTIONS" variable I came to crash on universe load many times. Out of frustration I continuously kept attempting to load universe many times after removing the variable all together. Out of nowhere on around attempt #7 everything worked without problem. And I guess you can say my problem is resolved. SM seemingly runs with a performance hit however. Not sure what correlation that has with the Java variable.

Also as a side note. I know this belongs in the third party area, but if I can knock out two birds with one stone that would be amazing. I know I have been able to use SMedit without issue on pretty much all SM updates except the most recent. SMedit works, it can import models and save as blueprints and does everything its intended to do well. My problem tho, is that after the blueprint is saved from SMedit the game can no longer load the universe I play in. If anyone has any knowledge on how to fix that, once again would be super appreciative. I understand that SMedit is old and very out of date, but I have had no issues with it until very recently. Thanks.

SIDE NOTE EDIT: SMedit issues have been resolved, not sure how tho.

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Please make sure the memory settings are like this:
    launcher2-memory.png

8192 for Maximum Memory will also work if you are playing single player a lot, but in most other cases, this is the optimal setting performance wise.

Feel free upload the logstarmade.0.log from your starmade/logs directory and we can look into the exact problem that may impact the performance.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Its been at 4096 this whole time. But I increased it to 8192 and game is back to a much smoother state. I honestly keep forgetting about that memory slider, should have started with that. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.