New helmet / extend helmet functions.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    This idea has been discussed before by folks like Gamel and PreparationsA-G but I'd like to revisit it with a twist.

We've all thought to ourselves a flash light or some way of casting light on objects would be helpful. While the idea has been around and is even considered something that will eventually happen.. Why not a compromise until then? Create new helmets that add night vision to your astronaut mode HUD.

Thinking on this got me to pondering other HUD enhancements. Mainly motion and heat detectors. The final version of this concept involved a mineral scanner as well. This would provide a lighten mode that's client side only. It also gives astronauts scanner info detailing mineral deposited in the entity in view. The heat detector can warn of possible lava and other heat sources (players/npcs?). Finally the motion detector adds situational awareness. Let the motion detector provide false positives and wait for the PvE mobs to get added.

Without having to calculate and send out light source info to multiple clients creating new server overhead - the night vision helmet is a solid compromise. And the when flash lights do end up in the game we'll still have a use for the night vision's HUD.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kiddan and Blaza612

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    While I love the idea, I think that all these fancy functions shouldn't be available to the player straight away. I can see them as very potential quest rewards.

Reactions: ltmauve

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    One of the things I've always hated about MMOs is teasing abilities that are not available in some form 'out of the box'. In your PvE custom server - sure don't spawn newbies with a mineral/heat/motion detector. But by default I'd like to see the response of newbies asking "wtf is this" and then finding out :3

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd like to see (and by extension on weapons as well) a modular parts system for helmets and gear that require special materials as quest rewards, or hidden away in small planetary outposts, ruins, or stations. All with varying degrees of usefulness and possibly uncraftable versions.

Helmets specifically comprised of
    • Frame
    • Visor
    • Add-on
    Frame just being mesh shape, visor having different overlays with potential benefits like IR or an X-Ray (a simplified version of the paste transparency of blocks), and addons being something like a mounted flashlight or short-range scanner.

Reactions: Blaza612

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think players should have suits with modular upgradability. There's been talk of build-able voxel armor, but skins honestly work better for that sort of thing. Being able to pick up different suit enhancements, visor technologies, weapon power-ups, etc. around the universe would be interesting and provide a nice reward for exploration. I think such things should be removable so players can sell and trade them.

A server config option might give players killed by handheld weapons a chance of losing a piece of equipment, which the killer could then pick up.

Reactions: Blaza612

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    on death astronauts could drop armor or health but i don't think anything should go missing. imagine grinding for 6 hours through waves of pirates to pick up that one module someone manages to steal from you with a well timed PK. things like that should really be achievement unlocks and not in any way transferable. once you have that ability (if the server allows it and is hooked to the database) any new character you make inherits it. but that's a local thing to that server. the registry is only to identify you are you. if you have not gotten that achievement on that server don't expect to have unlocks from other servers import over.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    on death astronauts could drop armor or health but i don't think anything should go missing. imagine grinding for 6 hours through waves of pirates to pick up that one module someone manages to steal from you with a well timed PK.
    Maybe there can be a better way to go about that. Like if a player is in their faction's territory then they do not drop their gears. Faction points are used to refurnish them if they are available and the faction enables it, but they are not dropped to the enemy under any circumstance. Kind of like an insurance policy of sorts but covered by your faction. If someone dies in enemy or unclaimed territory they drop X amount of random gear depending on the server setting and are not refurnished by the faction. Having some risk-reward in unclaimed territory is a must in my opinion to make expansion and exploration dangerous as well as rewarding.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i could see that as a server side option. part of a larger PvP suite.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    i could see that as a server side option. part of a larger PvP suite.
    The insurance policy thing, yeah. But unclaimed and enemy territory should pose a risk for players regardless of server setting, PvP or PvE. We've got space pirates, but they don't exactly steal anything at the moment, not very space pirate like.

Though we do drop blocks and loose credits on death, but the blocks are dropped not stolen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am quite much for it and I very much like the ideas of modular equipment design. In fact, I recall making similar suggestion, though it was in regards to 'infantry' equipment in general - but it included also different components that could be turned into customizable helmets, spacesuits and weaponry, each composed of several different 'slots' for parts which would ultimately affect their overall performance and function:

What I'd hope for in regards to the question I've asked for Q&A mentioned by the OP would be something like like modular design in a way of combining preset elements of all kinds of equipment. Since I feel like letting my imagination go, I will write down one of the few systems I was wondering about, along the lines (meaning, stuff probably would use input of others) of what I'll write down there. Bear with me, it won't be that much of a short post, but I'll try to explain an idea thoroughly. This won't be only about weapons but about modular system of equipment in general.

I'd first divide the equipment into several categories. Let's say simple setup of helmet, armor, handgun and rifle would cover most of what people would need, allow degree of customization without bogging the whole thing down with a lot to try to keep it simple but potent. Intentionally I wouldn't want to use such system for stuff like handheld mining equipment as I believe that system of 'get tier 1 drill to mine this, make tier 2 to mine that' would be neither fun nor really useful in a world where people strip-mine planets.

Then, have each item come with few elements, for example:
    Helmet: Visor, Shell, Additional
    Armor: Shell, Jetpack, Additional
    Handgun: Frame, Muzzle, Magazine, Sights
    Rifle: Receiver, Stock, Muzzle, Magazine, Sights

That should provide decent customization while making it simple.

Each in each element's slot now, one of several designs could be used for a module, offering different stats.

For helmet:

- Visors - depending on the design used, visor could offer additional protection against damage at the cost of visibility (vision glitches? dim or color-tinted view?) as well as offer different UIs (mostly meaning listing of targets with info regarding distance, speed of the object etc). Thus, one could get some sort of reinforced combat visor that is somewhat dim but gives the user decent protection, with rather minimalistic UI and slightly limited vision (view going through some filter, bars across the screen etc) or some scout visor with great visibility, ability to get a zoom in, UI with some additional tidbits of information about targeted object. Then, few models of everything in between, from cheap but decently sturdy visor that wouldn't have a decent defogger making fog temporarily condense on the surface from time to time to something between all aforementioned.
    - Shell is the whole 'package' - dictating the resistance and weight of the helmet. Different designs of shell dictate the base defensive rating of the item, affect it's decay under severe condition (resistance to acid rain, radiation etc) and bulkyness (limited speed of turning?).

- Additional would be little non-vital gimmicks that'd improve certain features of the helmet or give it new functions. Poison filters, advanced rebreathers making oxygen supply last longer, mounted lights of different strength, frame reinforcements for those who want even more defensive potential or an encouragement to headbutt incoming missiles.

Armor:
    - Shell could have exactly the same properties shell of a helmet does, just with overall bigger effect on character's 'stats'.

- Jetpack is basic propulsion system, necessary for spacewalk. Different modules could allow different speed, use of energy, responsiveness/class of stabilisers (one module could stop the player nearly instantly after letting the key go, other would decelerate very slowly) or even change a bit of dynamic of flight (continuous, smooth flight which could use up the energy rather quickly vs jetpack creating periodically bursts of push in the direction the user specifies).

- Additional. Similar, with differences, to helmet's additional modules slot. Ability to mount lights, additional protection layers against certain types of damage, servomotors increasing speed of of running character.

Handgun:
    - Frame - The base of the pistol. Governing to a degree the rate of fire (time between shots as well as 'mode' - whether it'd make single shots or, say, bursts of two shots per pressed mouse button?) and damage.

- Muzzle -
    Stabilizing the gun, main effect on accuracy, at a trade-off of rate of fire or damage dealt.

- Magazine -
    Energy consumption of the gun per shot, energy recharge rate, maybe a choice to actually have a gun (at least audio-visually) shooting bullets (invisible projectiles with less-sci fi sound effect) rather than beams of energy if someone wants such.

- Sights -
    Again, effect on accuracy, worse or better aiming crosshair, maybe actual ability to target with sights a'la typical shooter.

Rifle:
    - Receiver - What frame is for the pistol. The main element which makes one rifle be closer to a shotgun while other is more of an assault carbine.
    - Stock - Weight, bigger effect on accuracy than it is in case of a muzzle/sights (if only to simulate through overall bonus that rifles are generally longer range weapons in comparison with pistols), looks.
    - Muzzle - As in handguns.
    - Magazine - Likewise.
    - Sights - And again, I'd imagine the function would be very much like in case of a pistol.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I'd like to focus on just the flash light vs night vision aspect. The implementation of a flash light would be nice.
    I'd much rather have a astronaut HUD with night vision mineral scanning and motion detection. When mobs start showing up in stations and planets even a small amount of tactical awareness makes the risks worthwhile.

Reaction score
    I think the night vision helmet should have an option to add an outline around blocks(which would also be a nice build mode option). Ever used lighten mode with standard armor?

I think the visor should change detection ability, and not vision. This means that you can't just hack away the visual effect for an advantage.