New forums not even a week old and there is already people "gaming" the system?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Maybe the "like" system needs to be removed? I like the idea but it appears its prone to manipulation I have no idea why maybe people need some sense of validation for their opinion which I guess I can understand. so why use an alt to like your own posts? other then to accumulate likes or to have the appearance to have your opinion validated?

Honestly I don't know, anyway.
    http://starmadedock.net/members/athanatos-concord.344358/
    as screen grabbed here.

as we all know from this thread on the old forums
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s-imperium-refugees+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Athanatos Concord

Just for proof.
    Yeah this is Nature.

I created this account not as an alt, but to allow me and other members to share an account for an alliance, to keep everyone loyal. I just have access to it first because I was the one who made it.

Athanatos is natures alt, so why is nature liking all his posts with his alt?

I don't know even if I care, But I am curious what the community and moderators think.

Reactions: ShawnR2000

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It's against the rules to have an alternative account on the forums. Unless specific permissions have been acquired, which they have not.

Reaction score
    Lol never noticed that! That is kinda silly.

Reaction score
    Sounds idiotic, but its just that, dumb. We can all agree this guys a con but if he wishes to manipulate the system then we can just tell him so and leave it at that. Hes a piece of crap for doing it but it really doesn't matter in the long run whether or not he is doing it. I recommend just adding in a dislike as well. Create a karma system if anything at all.

Reactions: DukeofRealms
    Reaction score
    Sounds idiotic, but its just that, dumb. We can all agree this guys a con but if he wishes to manipulate the system then we can just tell him so and leave it at that. Hes a piece of crap for doing it but it really doesn't matter in the long run whether or not he is doing it. I recommend just adding in a dislike as well. Create a karma system if anything at all.
    Nevermind about the first part, but still look at the karma part.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I agree that nature needs to stop using the like function but there is a reason behind the acc in the first place. I'm not going to go all-out covering his ass on this one given my current role here but I'll share this much;

The account was made to allow the Athanatos to move on, even if the theoretical situation occurred where all the original members left. To be fair, there were multiple accounts similar to this one on the old forums. I don't think this is as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. I'd talk to Nature and get more info on it before I would do anything else, but it looks like a simple talking-to will clear this up.

I don't know even if I care, But I am curious what the community and moderators think.
    Ridik, don't be coy. You're not as clever as you've made yourself out to be.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Something I was secretly planning.

EDIT:

Didn't read that properly, I was secretly planning a different like system, not a dislike feature.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Unpopular opinion, I don't like the idea behind like/dislike systems. Claiming that it'll counteract this sort of silliness is simply untrue; it'll just end up being abused similar to the like system. If something is popular, the topic will stay active. Karma points lead to a whole long road of (god forgive me for saying this,) online bullying and harassment.

Reaction score
    keep in mind a dislike button will make an alt account twice as "effective" as you could dislike the posts of people you dislike out of spite and make your self look comparatively better.

I can't believe were already talking about this shit, features aren't even in effect and were already debating the cons because of abuse, wtf.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Unpopular opinion, I don't like the idea behind like/dislike systems. Claiming that it'll counteract this sort of silliness is simply untrue; it'll just end up being abused similar to the like system. If something is popular, the topic will stay active. Karma points lead to a whole long road of (god forgive me for saying this,) online bullying and harassment.
    The system is based upon different types of likes, not dislikes. There is no dislike function, different themes for liking content, so if you thought it was helpful you can put down helpful.

I didn't actually read the post correctly, my mistake. Anywho alt accounts are against the rules.

Reaction score
    The Athanatos Concord is not my alt. It is a tool designed to be utilized by the Athanatos Concord as a whole. Upon my term of Spokesperson coming to an end, if I fail to get voted back into the position, I'll pass the account on, and someone else will take over. This process will repeat as long as the Athanatos lives. I even planned to get the admins permission to access the account and modify it's passwords, in case of some kind of sabotage by a user. It's a vital piece of the whole design, and you knew that, so I take great offense to you taking this into the public scene as if I am some sort of criminal for having access to that account.

Also, for the liking bit, please do your research. I did not go around just liking "my" posts. I found as many posts from all the faction leaders that I could. The Athanatos Concord account also represents a kind of support system for all the faction leaders, a link of sorts, if you will. So, naturally, it was a way to provide everyone with equal support and recognition. I will stop if this is seen as incorrect, naturally, but I would appreciate it if you got your facts straight before you go trying to pin me to the cross like you have been for the past month or so.

I also don't appreciate you going directly towards me. This new forum has just started, and you're already trying to cause some shit or spark a flame war. You should be a little more humble about yourself and realize that you aren't the community, and that other people matter. Stop trying to cause such trouble and worry about your own faction and your own alliance. Creating the Athanatos Concord account was a fantastic idea. I don't appreciate you trying to get it in trouble. I especially don't appreciate you taking it public so quickly. If you were truly a professional, you would have made a conversation between you, I, and Duke. If it's an issue that the Athanatos account likes the posts of it's members, then I can change that.

What I can't change is you being unable to take a professional approach to anything.

This has turned into a game, and it's getting old.

Reaction score
    You think you would at least wait for a defending argument before you go calling someone a con artist. Please do not structure your argument off the ramblings of one person before any other man who knows the situation has a chance to open his mouth.

Reaction score
    for the liking bit, please do your research. I did not go around just liking "my" posts. I found as many posts from all the faction leaders that I could
    I find this comment disingenuous,

Last edited:

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    <removed>
    If you turn this into a flaming war, chances are you'll get in just as much trouble, if not more.
    Be careful how you walk this tightrope.

At this point I'd guess it's up to the moderators and admins, not you. They're the ones that make and enforce the rules.
    They have been made aware of the situation, I'm sure they will talk to all parties involved as necessary to ensure they're not getting any kind of one-sided opinion before making a judgement. The moderators and admins here are smarter than that.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    All likes removed (at least the ones for me. I found the other ones, but if I missed one or two don't complain about it. Christ)

Flame war over.

Let's call it a day and stop complaining.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Doesn't this forum have a system (or a possible addition) for allowing multiple users permissions to certain things. Like you can have a thread when all the leadership in a clan can edit, thus removing the need for a shared account.

Reaction score
    Doesn't this forum have a system (or a possible addition) for allowing multiple users permissions to certain things. Like you can have a thread when all the leadership in a clan can edit, thus removing the need for a shared account.
    Nothing like that to my knowledge. The Concord account was created to fill a necessity.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    A planned feature.

Thread closed, due to forum content that should be in PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.