New Crafting Reactions Dev 0.173

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    So we set out to do a crafting race in the latest dev build on the official test server. It went down a complete success with two stargates being built from scratch in 3 hours with just four players.

Loot is now easier to obtain and construction is considerably faster. By focusing on power production first then factory enhancers to increase yield per tick it is possible to have thousands of each capsule at your command.

We started with zero blocks, so only meta_items. Also We started on a planet, any kind is fine.
    After assembling salvage ships, asteroids are the most plentiful, with the type dictated by distance from the systems star.

It was easy to produce the basic and standard blocks, with the advanced requiring a little hunting to gather the amounts you need. This system can be learned quickly by players of all ages, often you have the materials for most basic blocks from leftovers.

In short I love the direction that the crafting/industry has taken with this update, you really feel rewarded for playing the game when mining now. It going to be a great thing to harvest the materials for my first Survival Build with this.

TLDR - GOOD JOB DEV'S!

Reaction score
    crafting is coming along just great, but i still think planetary resources should be slighty nerfed somehow. either with something like my quarry/salvage nerf suggestion. or something along those lines, as planets de-incentivise you to go and mine asteroids.....

Reaction score
    So what do you think should be the pull that gets you to mine asteroids as opposed to planets? Different types of materials only available on asteroids and not planets and/or vice versa?

I havent tried the new crafting system so this may be babble, but perhaps asteroids can be richer in ore and shards per block, so you go there if you want the best ore/second rate. But if you want hull, you go mine planets mostly for the raw non-ore material?

it would be nice if the game gave you a reason to persue asteroids for one type of collection, and planets for another.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What would be a very nice addition to the game is a buildcraft quarry type way to get resources from planets, and have salvage cannons not work on planets.

Asteroids also should indeed have a higher resource per rock count, to balance things out a little. Planets also should have less resources directly at the top layer.
    But that is getting a bit off-topic.

Reaction score
    Indeed just testing a few min's so far and I'm already churning out power modules to power my first planet based factory.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Indeed just testing a few min's so far and I'm already churning out power modules to power my first planet based factory.
    Except you don't really need factories anymore. Only hulls have relatively long crafting recipes (3 steps in factories for cubes, 4 for partial blocks), and the others only have 1 step in a factory. Incredibly short, too short IMO.

The recipes should definitely be as long as the cube hulls in that factory tier (I call basic, standard and advanced tiers), with each added blocks having 1 step at most in a factory (logically it would be the basic factory, as in the standard and advanced factories the recipes would have more than 1 step in my idea).

Reaction score
    you know, thinking about something calbiri said last night in the chat, maybe crafting can change depending on difficulty. so now could be say normal, and what me and bunny want (longer recipes) could be on hard.

calbiri had talked about alternate crafting trees as mods or something in the config option. (for us who want a bit more involved crafting tree) but said he wouldnt be dedicating time into that right now, but if someone wants to do it he would check it out. so maybe we can get best of both worlds, because honestly as is right now, it really works well on a simple level. but some of us are left wanting something a little deeper. but nither system will be able to please everyone, so why not have both_ depending on playstyle.

those who play hard are probably going to want longer recipes anyway so....seems to work well together :)

just food for thought.....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Me, me, me! I want to do it! I want to do it!
    @Calbiri , all I need is to have is all the recipes (like paint) implemented in the current version, and then if I could figure out a way to make a nice crafting system. It would help if I knew how the modding API worked, because things are a lot easier with it, but I could quite easily just use the Blockconfig too.

My idea is to basically have the recipe length for all the blocks be the same as the current recipe length for the hulls. So recipes in the basic factory will have 1 step, recipes in the standard factories will have 2 steps and recipes in the advanced factories will have 3 steps. I will also try to keep the resources the same (as much as possible, I don't know if it will always be possible to keep the same amount of resources, but I will make sure that they are nice numbers to work with).

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    When the crafting is released, I'll see if i can get a starter pack of information together for anyone interested in making custom crafting trees, part of the recent overhaul was to drastically streamline how the creation of crafting trees is handled, and you dont even need to mess with with modding API, as this is all stuff in the blockconfig file.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @OdraNoel , in the latest dev build you need 5 scraps to get an alloyed metal mesh or crystal circuit. That seems to be a nice number, don't you agree?

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    @OdraNoel , in the latest dev build you need 5 scraps to get an alloyed metal mesh or crystal circuit. That seems to be a nice number, don't you agree?
    Yes sounds great to me. and i look forward to see what custom tree you come up with funnybunny.

gota say tho, im really enjoying this new system. much better then the last one. i like how im actually going out and geting specific capsules now. befor it was more "any metal or crystal will do". now it definitely feels like a solid vanilla crafting tree for the game :)

Reaction score
    One of the major challenges to the "deeper" crafting tree that I know some of you want is using the 16 resource types to create sensible intermediate components without feeling like they are completely arbitrary (like having 8 colors of circuitborads...) you can get around this by making a large number of intermediate items and requiring several types per item, but this delves heavily into a complexity that is beyond what I feel we want in a vanilla build. It might be fun to start a community project collating many config settings, crafting settings, weapon balances, default stations, and npcs ships to create a "hard mode" that players looking for a challenge can download as a single pack and play.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, as a vanilla crafting system it is indeed very, very good.
    The new changes to everything allow for a lot of interesting config mods too, and not just for me, but for others too, who want to make a themed crafting system. One thing I can think of right now is a crafting system that gets based on salvaging scraps. That would make a very nice system for a themed server. And I could go on and on about the possibilities.

Just looked at the modding API btw, and it makes all sorts of things very easy to do. The recipes in particular are really easy to edit there, but all the other stats are also listed there.

Oh, and @Calbiri , that is definitely something I would like to see. Maybe there could even be a new section in the mods list for configs if we have enough of them.

I also looked at the dynamic prices again, and it looks like they are being worked on. Am I correct in assuming that?

Edit:
    And maybe even more modes than just hard. We could for example do a balanced one, maybe a hardcore and possibly even an 'impossible' config collection. There could of course be different modes for different things, and then a couple of collective configs, and I could go on and on about all this, but I have to stop here, because I still have a question.

To update the configs every time something changes in the default one would be annoying to say the least (because it downloads a whole new config again, essentially erasing all your progress). Luckily there is something called a diff file that could make all that a lot easier. Would it be a good idea to have a tutorial on that? I don't know how they work, and I also don't know any program that could do this, so maybe someone who does know how diff files work could make a tutorial for the rest of us?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    with all these option to change the game a more Varity of people will play and once there is enough people there will be a group of people that like hardcore and other things.