Need to re-route Shield Capacity and Shield Recharge functions to a new ID

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just like the title says. Look let's just skip the bullcrap and just tell me upfront straight. My reasons for doing this is to be the only one with the shield tech in my singleplayer world and I need to build ships that are smaller with more interior. Essentially yes it's cheating but then again it is *my* game world and I love cheating. If I can't cheat I don't play the game. Reasons for that are real frelling simple: Years and years of mental problems (easily pissed off to the point of 10 times the rage sometimes so you can only imagine how much I've been to hospitals).

So please, I just need help with re-routing the shield capacitor and shield recharger functions to a new block id as I've already changed the block id of the two shield blocks and realised that the functions are still applied to id 3 and id 478.

And if it can't be changed. In that case, frelling boll yotz!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As far as I know, block functions are hard coded and as such cannot be changed without an actual mod, support for which is not available yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Damnit! Well, in that case things get real simple. I just remove all trading guild bases and pirate bases and pirate ships and re add what I like to be my foe without them having any shield blocks.

Ughhh...

EDIT: Bleh, way too much worn out to try to make it work somehow for now. It would be parsecs easier if we had the ability in block editor to just simply attach custom shield, power, thrust, weapon, effect, etc block behaviour to custom blocks. If this game's gonna support modding this better be a thing. It makes zero sense for an alien race from another place/galaxy entirely to have the exact same dren of a technology (playing as an alien being) as everybody else. Boils my blood at this point.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    EDIT: Bleh, way too much worn out to try to make it work somehow for now. It would be parsecs easier if we had the ability in block editor to just simply attach custom shield, power, thrust, weapon, effect, etc block behaviour to custom blocks. If this game's gonna support modding this better be a thing. It makes zero sense for an alien race from another place/galaxy entirely to have the exact same dren of a technology (playing as an alien being) as everybody else. Boils my blood at this point.
    This should be a thing for sure. Having though about it, You could automatically remove all the shield blocks from any existing entities by removing the shields from the block config, loading up the entities and then adding the shields back again. You would however need to do this every time you came across an entity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This should be a thing for sure. Having though about it, You could automatically remove all the shield blocks from any existing entities by removing the shields from the block config, loading up the entities and then adding the shields back again. You would however need to do this every time you came across an entity.
    Thought about it myself, exactly the reason I didn't try it. I just really wanna build smaller ships with more interior, that way I can freely make unique small shapes and not be that worried about my ship not performing well. Seriously, that has been the biggest pet peeve of mine since day one with Starmade. I need to build ships that are FTL small and by FTL I mean the game called FTL. *sigh* Because right now making huge ships and then finding them lackluster in some area is really burning me out to a point of taking a long break from Starmade until I can attach custom block behavior to custom blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really hate this. If there was at least some form of invulnerability cheat I could apply to my small ships that would be perfect but noooo. Burn yourself out with building big ships. *bangs head on the desk multiple times*

EDIT: OHHHH!!!! What - a - relief: "/structure_set_vulnerable false" my problems just got solved.

Alright. Time to build something small. It has been too long folks.. too long.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could have also set your player to be godmode and then any entity you enter is invulnerable :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You could have also set your player to be godmode and then any entity you enter is invulnerable :p
    Didn't work the last time I tried it, besides that one resets everytime I log into my SP world but then again that was a few updates ago.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    1) Custom functionalities will be able to be set for blocks, via coding, when the API comes out. I don't think it will be possible to just give them functions like that using the block editor though.

2) God mode does still disappear when you log out, and /structure_set_vulnerable false only applies while the sector is loaded as far as I know (It disappears when you log out too, or leave the sector)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    1) Custom functionalities will be able to be set for blocks, via coding, when the API comes out. I don't think it will be possible to just give them functions like that using the block editor though.

2) God mode does still disappear when you log out, and /structure_set_vulnerable false only applies while the sector is loaded as far as I know (It disappears when you log out too, or leave the sector)
    Good to know though. I'm on break from Starmade for the time being and have finally started messing with the old Frontier Elite games and some other stuff for the time being.

Hopefully when that API is out there's bound to be stuff to make it easier to do custom functionalities for custom blocks. While I'm playing Frontier First Encounters I'm really cringing myself almost to death about the fact that the ships there are WAY smaller and get the job done while in default Starmade everything has to be bloated to be bigger than a planet to suit my needs properly.. bigger - than - a - PLANET. Good frelling grief, just irks me to this day. I'm sorry, it's just that I just plain don't like having large ships with only a room or two to walk in and the rest of the ship is basically a system block storage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just got another idea: Have shield regeneration off by default for all entities and have it turned on only on my ship.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Nope, you still can't do that. If you want to cheat, just give yourself creative mode

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nope, you still can't do that. If you want to cheat, just give yourself creative mode
    Uh, what? Creative mode? I'm in creative mode all the time, since when does creative mode grant me invincibility? New feature that I'm once again unaware of?

It'd be really nice if creative mode actually had that function.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Then use god mode

/god_mode [username] true

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Then use god mode

/god_mode [username] true
    *epic picard double facepalm caused by stupidtity* Have ya even read previous posts on this thread?

EDIT: If you've read the posts you'd know my issues with that command not staying on and having to re-type it everytime I boot up SM.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Uh, what? Creative mode? I'm in creative mode all the time, since when does creative mode grant me invincibility? New feature that I'm once again unaware of?

It'd be really nice if creative mode actually had that function.
    God mode gives you that invincibility...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There's no alternative, otherwise someone would've probably suggested it by now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, an alternative would be some sort of a config file that auto-switches that command on for me.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is no such thing, otherwise someone would've probably suggested that, as I just said.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is no such thing, otherwise someone would've probably suggested that, as I just said.
    Oh, well. At least I have ideas. Ideas that always tend to get hindered my boll yotz material limitations and it's starting to drive me to end this life of mine.

*sigh* Silver lining here at least is that I can find workarounds to how I somewhat want to play the game and seems this modified beefy and small new salvage array ship I built with one powerful rapid cannon and some amount of shield strength is more than enough for withstanding default flak from pirates so even if god mode is switched off for a bit it won't mean having to spawn a new ship.