Near 100% CPU usage when salvaging

Reaction score
    My game is running very smoothly otherwise, but when I go salvage my cpu usage goes from 20-30% all the way up to 90-100%.

Does anyone else experience this/know how to solve it?

This is on a dedicated server. Running default graphics settings I think (linked in pictures below)

System specs:
    i5-4690 with 8gigs of ram and geforce 970

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your computer should handle this okay. What is your games memory settings on you might want to adjust them up to 4GB? It looks like its set to 1GB.

Otherwise not sure exactly what is causing the problem.

This will help you with lag on with larger salvage arrays somewhat.
    How to make efficient salvage beams and lower lag

Reaction score
    Client memory settings (if I am looking correctly, the one from the launcher) is at 4096 mb.

On another note, Happy New Year everyone!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The removal of blocks is very CPU intensive. StarMade will grab what it can.

Looking at your Screen shots shows. That you are running 50-60% on one CPU Core and about 20-30% on the other three CPU Cores when at idle.

When you Salvage it goes to 80-90% CPU Core and about 60-80% on the other three CPU Cores. Nothing special and your FPS stays very constant.

The Video Card GPU is hardly used in StarMade.

Of the 1024 MB of Video Ram 56 MB is used while Salvaging at 7 FPS loss. At idle looking at the void pretty much no Video Ram is used. GPU stays at 30-35% use.

Your PC is being used more heavily while you Salvage. But at the same time it is very strong and it doesn't effect your game. This is normal for Minecraft style games like StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    and are you doing this in Singleplayer or MP ?
    Singleplayer requires you to run the server yourself and therefore adding that load (usually hogging up one core) for that too.