MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Who?
    Exactly.

When?
    End of this month. Jan 31st.

Where?
    Everywhere. Affects all NASS services including Discord.

Why?
    No one cares.

How?
    See that plug? We yank that out and POOF.

DETAILS:
    Not the biggest surprise. Yeah? The extra traffic recently has been nice and I'll miss our regulars. NASS has hosted a lot of streams. Also helped collect a lot of bugs. But, ultimately, everything comes to an end. I could spin some yarn about the 'end of an era' and other such flowery fluff. Let's collectively agree to not bother. It'll not change facts. If you must be a prying busybody then you can start one of those wonderful rumor mills. As an alternative you could just ask. If you decide to ask 'BUT WHY??' send it via PM. I can't speak for any of the other admins but all inquiries along this line directed at me will be met with the most misleading details possible... if any at all. So have fun with that.

BUT MUH BLUEPRINTS!
    Offsite backups are made regularly. Most will be deleted closing day save for the most recent. Which will likely be about a week old. If there's anything you want to keep: back it up now. I've no intention of putting the current blueprints anywhere else for download. I'm not planning on keeping a personal backup either. So everything on the server will be lost closing day unless it's a week old. The backup will only be available either to restore to a new server or for debugging purposes by Schine Team.

THE FUTURE:
    Will NASS ever return? That's actually quite likely. I am personally thinking of reusing the name with Doomsider 's blessing as 'NassINO'. A tongue in cheek acknowledgement that any server not run by doom would be NASS In Name Only. If I do manage to swing a semi-decent server to host it on expect pretty much what NASS has been the last year and a half. The biggest exception being that there's no one there if you plan on going over my head because I did something you disagreed with. Proper NASS might make a return in time. That's doom's call.

CONCLUSION:
    So I spent a few paragraphs saying, essentially, nothing. I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Back up your stuff. Turn out the lights. Eat your juice. Drink your veggies. Stay strange to safety danger. Don't take candy unless they're a 6/10.

#NASSisoverparty #MakeStarmadeGreatAgain

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Ive been playing on NASS for so long I can't even remember where it began. I watched my building styles and ships evolve on this server, met new friends and made new enemies. Whenever an update would drop this is where Id go to see how this game Ive invested so much time into will change. This server was the one place I trusted to build my empire, I knew that this server would always be online and running(except for that one time). This was the place I went every night to relax, and convey the ideas dreamt of througout the day into something amazing. This server was the place I could turn to when my day wasnt great, because the NASS community was, and I knew that they could put me into a better mood. The time I spent on this server has been the best Ive played in Starmade, and for that I thank you. Thank you Warsong and all the staff and moderators who helped make this server possible. I guess I will have to find another server, but it will be hard to match the community I experienced on this server. I hate saying goodbye, so ill just put it as someone once put it: If you dont say goodbye, its not truly gone, its just not here right now.

Last edited:

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm sorry to hear this. From my understanding, NASS is one of the oldest and most respected servers out there. I'm am sure your combined efforts of your admins, owners, and players have created all sorts of wonderful experiences and content for StarMade. Perhaps a spike in interest in StarMade will bring a renewed interest in the servers again and we'll see you back sooner than later. If you need any advice on server hosting, I researched quite a few and know of some good deals.

Right now it seems like there are so many servers and not enough players. I think we need more cooperation between servers to develop high quality content for StarMade. One thing I've been trying to do is develop scripting that I will eventually release to the public so that any server can use them. I think it's time we start thinking in terms of "we," not just "my server" or "that server." If you guys ever do want to come back and you need any help with wrappers or scripting, that sort of thing, feel free to call on me. There's some pretty awesome development going on with other wrappers too, besides mine, like StarD (which is arguably better written than my code, but my code has my own brand of creative customization and features). Some other servers also are working on some pretty cool content - Let's see if I can get them to release their back-end stuff! I'm going to be trying to pull things together and get more of a "we" community going, so we can get the ball rolling more on modding and help keep players playing StarMade overall. I'm still working on my quest engine and event engine, and have some parts implemented already, and when I release it to the public, admins will be free to make their own quests and events to help keep things more spontaneous and fresh on their servers. Right now it's all very much in it's infancy, but if you make your return, the offer stands. Just let me know and I'll see how I can help. :)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    If you need any advice on server hosting, I researched quite a few and know of some good deals.
    Thanks. Right now I'm chasing a lead. If it doesn't pan out you might end up with a PM from me.

ight now it seems like there are so many servers and not enough players.
    That's the elephant. Too many trees and not enough ewoks.

Right now it's all very much in it's infancy, but if you make your return, the offer stands.
    This is the main problem with Starmade and several games in the same genre. Just general sandbox emptiness. The faction update has done a lot to buck that trend. But it's not quite enough yet. Since doomsider is NASS' owner and he's also the dev behind Project Shadow any event system would, ideally, play nice with his scripting... or replace it outright. Such a system would make a great stride to giving PvE and PvP players something to do besides helping shipwrights build unused titans.

I dunno. Still in the wind-down stage at the moment. If I do get a new box to host a NASS clone we'll have to stress test it first. So keep an eye out for that. It'd be a good sign NASS isn't quite down for the count yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Sorry to see NASS go. While I never personally played there, losing a good server with a good support staff is never good for the community.

That's the elephant. Too many trees and not enough ewoks.
    I can't imagine trying to run a StarMade server at a host right now. unless you are made of money, the only way to sustain game hosting somewhere is by having a large base of players that throw a buck or two at you every so often, and I'm not sure there are enough players of StarMade as a whole to sustain any server long term. I'm fortunate to have a decent internet connection at home to host mine, that is the only reason it has been around so long.