My take on FTL

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As in the Q&A, some concepts about FTL drives/jump gates already popped up. I also came up with some ideas how to do it with a little balance.

1. Ship FTL drive:

Make a block similar to thrusters, connected to an FTL Computer that can be quickslotted. The block would add a value displayed under Thrust in build mode called "FTL capacity". You'd require at least an FTL capacity equal to your ship's mass to jump. Note that docked objects add mass at the latest prebuild, so in case you want to be able to take other ships with you, you'd need to build a suitable jump drive. Also, it would add more challenge building FTL capable ships as you would have to sacrifice precious space to place those blocks. And if they scale with dimensions like power blocks, or just by number in a chunk like power tanks, that makes things even more interesting.

Activation: Upon setting up a nav point and activating the FTL computer in your quickbar, your ship would lose all power and a second bar above your power bar (similar to the shield bar above HP) would appear and start filling up, signalling the countdown until jump - for example, 10 seconds for a 1:1 FTL/mass ratio, and could scale up with the distance covered (1 second every kilometer after 10), and down with a ratio higher than 1. So, a 20000 mass ship with a 40000 FTL capacity (halved windup time) travelling to a sector 100 kilometers (100 seconds charge time) away would take 50 seconds to charge the FTL drive and jump.

During that windup, moving the ship in any direction, firing a weapon, and recharging shields, would be impossible. Once it fills up, you get teleported to the sector you specified in the waypoint and your power would regenerate normally. This would prevent it from being used as an escape tool, since for that 10 seconds, you'd be a sitting duck.

It could have a visual effect similar to salvaging. Maybe a different color.

The windup could be interrupted by clicking the FTL computer again.

2. Jump relays (Not mass relays, that's be copyright infringement)

Jump gates could be pregenerated structures like shops and/or stations, operated by the TG, each with a fixed size so you wouldn't have to worry about the exit being smaller than the entry point. Alternatively, they could be built by players too, connecting to the existing network or forming a separate one. Factioned gates could be set up, just like player shops to have restricted access (Allies only, No enemies, Faction only, All) Of course using player built relays has the chance of ending up in a hostile homebase's turret fest, or losing most of your ship trying to squeeze a battlecruiser through an exit point built for corvettes.

Activation: Each relay would have a docking area, built using a third kind of docking module and enhancers determining the maximum size of the ship it can jump. Upon docking to it, a button similar to "Shop in range" would appear, clicking on that would bring up the list of accessible relays with coordinates and owner. Clicking on one would bring up the confirmation dialog, also if there is one, the notification of how much jump fee you need to pay. Jump fee would be calculated using the total mass of your ship. (for example, 100-1000 credits per mass.) Upon confirmation and paying the fee, your ship would be teleported and be docked to the destination. If the destination's docking space is smaller than your ship, any parts sticking out will be deleted. This adds a risk to jumping to random player-made relays, as you cannot know how big it is until you arrive. Also, pregenerated relays would of course have a limited area too, therefore with big ships you'd have to build your own supersized relays, or you'd have to take the long way there. And of course, there's the problem of the jump fee, which could make it really taxing for big ships to use relays repeatedly. All this to balance the mechanic effectively.

Opinions?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • For standardisation I would suggest using powers of 2. 2x2x2 for a core is minimum. 4, 8, 16, 32, 64.

• To get the Gate or Relay\'s size, use scout drones. Each bigger ship should have one, (also a factory to produce this small stuff automatically)

Or just make it manually - core, power, 2 thrusters

• Each relay should have a destination+size info for possible relays.

If you want to travel to a not registered one, you have to provide these things yourself.

• Copyright on the name \"mass relay\" sucks. We should declare war on the copyright holder\'s faction! - or do you want to patent \"walking with two legs\"?

BearishMushroom

Modshroom
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I like this more than many other of the suggested systems. But I do feel that there should be some way to cancel another ships \"wind up\", even if they\'re just like a sitting duck.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, destroying enough blocks in the FTL drive to drop the FTL capacity below the ship\'s total mass prevents jump. Most ships can\'T afford to take too many blocks from thrust/power/shielding/weapons so they will be around 1:1 mass/FTL capacity. Ships with a better ratio are supposed to be Jumpships built to jump non-FTL-capable ships with them, and as so, will have much less shielding and armament, even though when unburdened, they will charge the drives much faster.

Reaction score
    my moneys... take them all. best idea i have seen so far. its an acumlation of many ideas and so its flawless. i feel that if this is not the way its implemented it will not be worth playing.

+

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Make a warmup of 15 seconds.

Getting your power below 90% or your shield below 95% resets (effectively freezes) the warmup.

Using your thrusters also resets the warmup.

A cooldown of 5seconds per sector for all jumped-over sectors would be ok for me

Make the sun act as a recharge-booster: 80%= 5sec/sector, 0%= 25sec/sector, 200%= 3sec/sector, 66%= 1sec/sector cooldown

You enter something like \"/jumpdrive + + -\" and jump to the sun 16 sectors away (also default distance if no distance is specified) - that would prevent most accidentally jumps into suns and is faster to write.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Remember, my version doesn\'t calculate sectors. It\'s calculating the distance travelled. A sector is longer than 1 km, so I think the warmup scaling is all right, maybe 2 seconds/km tops. But there will not be any power during warmup. In order to evade any interference with the quantum link between the point of origin and destination, all other systems, including thrusters, weapons and turrets will be shut down, and all energy will be directed to the jump drive, meaning the ship will have 0 power during the warmup. No other system will function and shields will not regenerate unless the warmup is interrupted by either losing as much as a single FTL capacitor block (the block that makes up the drive) or by the ship\'s pilot clicking again. This will effectively prevent any looparound with docked power generators or extremely large power storages. You will be a sitting duck until you either perform the jump, or the warmup is interrupted/cancelled. The sun will not boost the warmup, as theere are no solar panels in the game to put in ships, everything depends on internal power generation. Actually, the boost the solar power would give, would still ne completely negated by the gravity well\'s interference due to the vicinity of a star.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The sun will not boost the warmup, as theere are no solar panels in the game to put in ships

I didn\'t thought about energy, but using it as a slingshot would buff the jump as less time or energy is required. (BTW: In StarTrek traveling toward a star will increase your warp factor)

But there will not be any power during warmup.

NO. Everthing but NOT THAT!!!

If you accidentally click your jump computer you lose all power. I don\'t mind that if power gets restored afterwards or your jump drives drain power (but not all)...

My suggestion was that jump gets interrupted if you get below 90% power bar. Small weapon fire should not affect jump, only shield/power fluctuations caused by getting hit or channeling power through weapons.

How else would jump drives be able to draw/use power?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I didn\'t thought about energy, but using it as a slingshot would buff the jump as less time or energy is required. (BTW: In StarTrek traveling toward a star will increase your warp factor

This kind of FTL does not work like that. It is an instantaneous quantum link to the target location. More like Battlestar Galactica, or the game Faster Than Light. Gravity wells and radiation can only interfere with that link, not help in any way.

NO. Everthing but NOT THAT!!!

If you accidentally click your jump computer you lose all power. I don\'t mind that if power gets restored afterwards or your jump drives drain power (but not all)...

Well then you\'d better not click it accidentally. Anything that leaves you power will give a chance for looparounds with docked reactors and huge amount of power tanks. Whatever is exploitable, people WILL exploit it. I want to make it clear that the FTL drive is NOT an escape option, and not a \"jump to battle\" option either. That is why is MUST fully disable ship power. That won\'t be a problem if you\'re out of combat you\'ll just wait patiently for it to recharge. That can only be a problem when you try to use it for escaping from combat which is something I want to avoid. FTL should be a strategic positioning and logistics tool, not a tactical \"Escape\" button.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with this especially the power option but maybe some kind of micro jumps for ships with maybe a very large ratio allowing for close (like 300 block) jumps with maybe only 50% power depletion so that means that players with fighters can jump right upto a capital ship and disable it or other options. Also maybe the number of FTL blocks should determine the range so that means that carriers will have a use of ferrying fighters around and would also balance the earlier idea.

Reaction score
    When I was watching the Devs Q&A, I also thought a shipboard FTL Jump Drive was missed, and your ideas regarding one are solid. +1

However, everything you suggested about Jump Gates was mentioned in the Q&A:

Your suggestion -
    \"Jump gates could be pregenerated structures like shops and/or stations, operated by the TG, each with a fixed size so you wouldn\'t have to worry about the exit being smaller than the entry point. Alternatively, they could be built by players too, connecting to the existing network or forming a separate one. Factioned gates could be set up, just like player shops to have restricted access (Allies only, No enemies, Faction only, All) Of course using player built relays has the chance of ending up in a hostile homebase\'s turret fest, or losing most of your ship trying to squeeze a battlecruiser through an exit point built for corvettes.

My notes from the Q&A (which were not made from memory but in real time (apart from the constant pausing and rewinding to get right what was being said) as I listened) -
    \"Jump Gates are the most popular and are possible but may or may not be used. These would work by flying upto a station or through a ring structure (which may be both naturally generated & player created) and you would travel instantaneously to the matching/linked gate at another location in the same way you would cross over sector boundaries. The issue with Jump Gates is that the gate on the destination end might be smaller than the entry gate, so players would need to explore both ends first.\"

;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would also like the ability to choose the output like with StarGates in StarGate.

It would create a delay before activation and reduces the number of required gates.