Bug My ship is very optimistic, but I haven't the heart to tell it it's not going anywhere.

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score

Don't get me wrong me and my corvette love to go travelling but I don't know whether to tell it its not actually going anywhere. It's like going on holiday in your back garden.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can you repro this?
    Basically sending out a ship with a push cycle engine will cause this because navigation menu is stupid.
    Take a Torpedo fire it into the void and stay in the sector keep looking at it. You can see the Torpedo forever in it's journey. Now jump away and the Torpedo will be gone. Jump back to the exact sector you fired it and it will show it self again now even further away. You can give chase if you follow along it's direct path. Very weird stuff. The fact that it will never despawn is a major headache. Many such things can really hurt a server. Despawn_all mob commands don't work as the Torpedo's name doesn't conform. Everyone names them differently.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    they will unload 2 sectors away and stop moving .. until someone comes in close and reloads them .. i dont see a problem here.

its the same as if someone spam spawn crap where ever he goes. only a database bloat issue if it gets too serious.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm more worried about a ship that looks stationary but its distance meter is getting larger?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm more worried about a ship that looks stationary but its distance meter is getting larger?
    My best estimate on it.

The distance is calculated separately from the entity/ship. A simulation in a simulation. It uses the physics of the universe and the entity thrust and such. It is therefore a best estimate of the true speed.

For normal thrust this calculation is bang on. In case of the push cycle the calculation either uses the wrong input or has a bug. Right now it calculates the push linear and never ending even though the entity/ship itself has already stopped. Resulting in an ever increasing distance.

they will unload 2 sectors away and stop moving
    They do not unload after 2 sectors and they do not stop moving as long as you stay in the sector you fired them from. That is the joke. The thread opener post shows a stationary ship not a torpedo but the system used. The push cycle is the same. For some reason the torpedo can pass thru the despawn wall of the second sector.

Most likely because it's calculation is tied in to the first sector. The torpedo extends the first sector outwards as it moves along like a wormhole. Again this is my best explanation and i could be totally wrong.

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    My best estimate on it.

The distance is calculated separately from the entity/ship. A simulation in a simulation. It uses the physics of the universe and the entity thrust and such. It is therefore a best estimate of the true speed.

For normal thrust this calculation is bang on. In case of the push cycle the calculation either uses the wrong input or has a bug. Right now it calculates the push linear and never ending even though the entity/ship itself has already stopped. Resulting in an ever increasing distance.

They do not unload after 2 sectors and they do not stop moving as long as you stay in the sector you fired them from. That is the joke. The thread opener post shows a stationary ship not a torpedo but the system used. The push cycle is the same. For some reason the torpedo can pass thru the despawn wall of the second sector.

Most likely because it's calculation is tied in to the first sector. The torpedo extends the first sector outwards as it moves along like a wormhole. Again this is my best explanation and i could be totally wrong.
    The actual ship with push-cycle engine unloads after 2 sectors and stops moving. The reason why the calculation is rooted in the sector that the ship was last entered is because the actual ship's position is not properly updated due to push/pull-cycle engines not updating the ship's position (⚓ T194 ship not reporting location when using logic propulsion), therefore the navigation menu perceives that the ship is still in the sector and uses Time x Velocity calculations to determine its "position" when in actuality it's not even loaded anymore.