Multiple Slaves

Should we be able to have multiple slaves in weapon systems?

• This would be great!

Votes: 7 38.9%
    • Sounds OK

Votes: 3 16.7%
    • Nah...

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    As of right now, I'm both loving and hating the new weapons system, as it gives you the option to add a slave then change how it deals damage. However, one of the problems that I have is that as you scale up to more and more blocks on titan, the range doesn't go up. This is most annoying to me in the beam modules, as I could create a 1500 block laser and the range still won't go up unless you add a beam slave.

What I think should take place is the option to have multiple slaves on one weapon system. So you could have a rapid fire beam weapon that can also go a decent range as well then increase the damage via overdrive blocks. The way that this would be balanced would be the massive amount of blocks needed to create such a system plus the energy system and thrust.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
    There should be only 2 slots, as 2 slaves can control range and reload with beam and cannon. Overdrive then adds extra damage.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think it would be great if you could add another slave. I think it should be limited to two though so people couldn't just hook up all the effects to make a super weapon.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I personally think we need a variation of the old weapons system combined with what we have now. I miss how I could distribute 70% of 'weapon energy' to range, but I had diminished reload. This would also make, say, dedicated snipers viable again, especially in non-default sectors. A battleship bumping in the rear of another just to be in range is plain silly.
    Actual fleet engagements are impossible, everyone is just stepping on everyone else's toes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I think it would be great if you could add another slave. I think it should be limited to two though so people couldn't just hook up all the effects to make a super weapon.

Yeah, 2 is fine. Add range and reload with beam and cannon, then use overdrive to up the damage.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I personally think we need a variation of the old weapons system combined with what we have now. I miss how I could distribute 70% of 'weapon energy' to range, but I had diminished reload. This would also make, say, dedicated snipers viable again, especially in non-default sectors. A battleship bumping in the rear of another just to be in range is plain silly.
    Actual fleet engagements are impossible, everyone is just stepping on everyone else's toes.
    I believe the current system is designed to allow for that. For example lets say we have 100 blocks that will be dedicated to a gun. If 50 blocks were given to the master cannon and 50 to the slave beam we would have a long ranged sniper. but if we had 75 cannon and only 25 cannon the reload would be faster but the range less. I do see your point though and agree that the numbers are not yet perfectly fine tuned yet.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I believe the current system is designed to allow for that. For example lets say we have 100 blocks that will be dedicated to a gun. If 50 blocks were given to the master cannon and 50 to the slave beam we would have a long ranged sniper. but if we had 75 cannon and only 25 cannon the reload would be faster but the range less. I do see your point though and agree that the numbers are not yet perfectly fine tuned yet.
    I meant on top of the master-slave effects. I probably should have mentioned that, in my opinion, weapon range in general is horribly underpowered for space combat. It feels as though range was intentionally limited to combat giant ships and encourage dogfighting with interceptors and whatnot, but then again, capitals do have all rights to exist and be part of an engagement. The only easy way to change this is to scale range with amounts of blocks -- intelligently, of course --, but that doesn't feel like a long-term solution.

So I think we should have a distribution of percentages again. A fighter has little use for long-range guns, so the pilot enhances reload and maybe damage, while a frigate might have an even distribution and a cruiser could focus on picking targets from a distance. This all should be based off of the initial weapon stats (master-slave, not effects), so that you have to work with what you have, but also still are able to fine-tune your setup.

Edit: I just noticed that I went full-circle in my argumentation. Ignore this, unless you can work with it. Sleep deprevation, curse you!

Reactions: psteiner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I meant on top of the master-slave effects. I probably should have mentioned that, in my opinion, weapon range in general is horribly underpowered for space combat. It feels as though range was intentionally limited to combat giant ships and encourage dogfighting with interceptors and whatnot, but then again, capitals do have all rights to exist and be part of an engagement. The only easy way to change this is to scale range with amounts of blocks -- intelligently, of course --, but that doesn't feel like a long-term solution.

Edit: I just noticed that I went full-circle in my argumentation. Ignore this, unless you can work with it. Sleep deprivation, curse you!
    This would happen with 2 slave slots, as there would be a good amount of blocks needed to field great power while still ripping through targets at long range at a decent reload. 2 slave slots doesn't unbalance the game at all, it just makes room for more adjustments.

Recently I have been resorting to making powerful point defense beam turrets, then long range turrets with pull effect to get ships within range.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    But what if you had a cannon and pulse slave... they are polar opposites and I dont see how that would work at all. like I deffinetly see the appeal of a rapid fire shot gun but as I pointed out not all combos would work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    But what if you had a cannon and pulse slave... they are polar opposites and I don't see how that would work at all. like I definitely see the appeal of a rapid fire shot gun but as I pointed out not all combos would work.
    Well, then I suppose they would cancel each other out. Hopefully people would realize that it's not effective pretty quickly. I believe that that's the only combo that wouldn't work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't like general range buffs.
    Maybe allow 2 slaves on ships, but turrets can't dock if you assign 2 slaves or you can't add a second slave while docked.

maybe add weapons with 1 minute cool-down and 4km range. The only issue with this is if you replace the weapon computer you reset cool-down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I don't like general range buffs.
    Maybe allow 2 slaves on ships, but turrets can't dock if you assign 2 slaves or you can't add a second slave while docked.

maybe add weapons with 1 minute cool-down and 4km range. The only issue with this is if you replace the weapon computer you reset cool-down.

Come on, perhaps it would be better if while you have 2 slaves, each one only has half the effectiveness (you have to place more blocks).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would be ok if turrets were fixed to have worse targeting/tracking with higher mass, but I fear that there will be some 100%-accurate setup which deny any fighters from almost out of their own radar range..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Would be ok if turrets were fixed to have worse targeting/tracking with higher mass, but I fear that there will be some 100%-accurate setup which deny any fighters from almost out of their own radar range..
    Or perhaps slower targeting speed with higher mass.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It is really easy to stop 100% accuracy...