Multi-warp gate base

Reaction score
    I'm hoping people with knowledge on this can tell me:

- Can a sector have multiple working warp gates in it? (I vaguely remember reading that a sector can have only one?)

- Can a home base extend beyond the boundaries of its sector into adjacent sectors? If so, does it make any difference whether it does this with its own structure or with a docked entity?

Basically, what I'm driving at is: can a home base have multiple working warp gates, that all benefit from home base invulnerability? (Not the remote gates linked to them, obviously)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1) Each sector can only have one station, but each station can indeed have multiple warp gates on it. So you can indeed have a gate hub.

2) The short answer is no, you cannot have a base spanning multiple sectors. Technically you can, but they bug out horribly and cause system issues. Always try to build near the center of the sector so that you have as much room to play in as possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    When they first came out, you could only have 1 gate per entity.
    That limitation changed very quickly (shameless plug)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The amount of stations per sector is a server setting. The default setting is one station per sector. As a former StarMade admin i highly recommend not enabling any more stations per sector. It will only create problems.

As Edmynion said one station can have multiple gates. Just add another jump gate computer. This also means that you can have multiple gates on a Home Base and they will all have the invulnerable protection. The gates that get linked to will not be protected. But if you have some allies. Then you can link to their Home Base and the gate will have back to back protection. I do this regularly.

A station can not go beyond the sector boundary. Yes it might let you build it. But at sometime something will horribly bug out to the point that only an admins /destroy_entity command can bring the sectors back in line.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I would love to have a gate that had several destinations programmed into it. The ship would trigger each one by hitting a logic-block with an activation beam to 'switch channels'.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to have a gate that had several destinations programmed into it. The ship would trigger each one by hitting a logic-block with an activation beam to 'switch channels'.
    Dial the gate!

Reactions: WalkerGain
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but Edy, how can you tell where the center of a sector is?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but Edy, how can you tell where the center of a sector is?
    Depends on sector size. Easy way to find it is to be the same distance of all nearby sectors (looking around seeing how far you are to the next sector) you'll be in the center.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Shift-scroll will also let you zoom out until you can see the marker diamonds for all adjacent sectors at once, and place yourself directly between them.

Reactions: Top 4ce

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, look around at the sector markers. They're always in the center of each sector. If your sectors are 2km each, then if you look around and its roughly 2km to every sector marker around you, then you're in the middle.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'm hoping people with knowledge on this can tell me:

- Can a sector have multiple working warp gates in it? (I vaguely remember reading that a sector can have only one?)

- Can a home base extend beyond the boundaries of its sector into adjacent sectors? If so, does it make any difference whether it does this with its own structure or with a docked entity?

Basically, what I'm driving at is: can a home base have multiple working warp gates, that all benefit from home base invulnerability? (Not the remote gates linked to them, obviously)
    I've built a few warpgate networks, here's some tricks:
    • It's more user-friendly to name the nav-beacon of the station to it's destination + interest. EG
      "gate to 9 -9 -14, {NoFaction} parsen mining feilds" paired with "gate to 25 -80 -3, {NoFaction} free docks, ore processing"
      "gate to 2 -20 2, {2 -40 2}, Inter Galaxy highway 0 - 0" and the other side " gate to 2 0 2, {2 20 2}. Inter-Galaxy Highway 0 + 0"
    • Servers have 2 settings that make or breakeasey-place networks: sector rotation and stations/sector.
    • Even if the server is set to 1 station/sector, and admin CAN spawn in additional stations. If you have some small gates (sub 120k block) you can try to convince them to trade the blueprints and admin-load them all in one sector.
    • Sector boundaries are both good and bad places to put warpgates.
      • with rotation on, you can have 2 stations at one center-face by default. Since sectors rotate one specific way the "top or bottom" of that rotation can be close to each other while still haveing independant nav beacons
      • with rotation off, you can have up to 4 independant nav-point in close proximity all the time, at the intersecting corners.
    • If you really want to put them all in one sector, mined-out planet-plates are a good bet. You can get 1 nav-beacon per plate +1 for a station. Laggy as a boss sometimes though :)
    • If you put all the gates on one station, you can use docked core/faction module ships to give nav-markers for more than one gate per stiation. small extra steps if you're pushing for rapid deployment.
      • sort by mass usually puts those markers at the top of the list
      • "--- {nameinfo}" "___ {nameinfo}" are good ways to get to top of list sorted alphabeticly

Last edited: