Read by Schine Movable cores

Do you agree with my proposition?

• I believe this would be a good addition to the game.

Votes: 16 100.0%
    • I do not believe this would be a good addition to the game.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I've seen another thread like this already but i'm going to cut to the chase. Being able to move the core on a ship would be great. but how about instead of needing a core to build a ship, how about have it so in order for the ship to technically be a ship, you need to have a ship core on it. In this game I used to play on steam (RoboCraft) In the older versions, you needed a commanders chair in order use your vehicle. However you obviously needed to build your craft and then place your cockpit. I want to apply this same idea to starmade where you build your ship using a build block and then place your ship core in your appropriate place. Do you guys think this would be a good idea or nah?

Reactions: OMNESIA
    Reaction score
    Things will change when they add proper chairs into the game, all they really need to do is add an advanced option to move the core.

Reaction score
    In effect it will be the same as your suggestion, but the placing of the core at the start is what im guessing defines it as a ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    In effect it will be the same as your suggestion, but the placing of the core at the start is what im guessing defines it as a ship
    Well what i'm getting at is that the ship core is technically a reactor for the ships seeing as how if the ship core destroyed the ship is basically obsolete or whatever

Reaction score
    Yep the core is the heart of the ship, the captains chair will be another point to which we can jump in the ships controls and be a little bit more RP like

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's a good thing they plan to add this functionality to the shipyard.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Well what i'm getting at is that the ship core is technically a reactor for the ships seeing as how if the ship core destroyed the ship is basically obsolete or whatever
    It is not as simple as that unfortunately. The core determines various bits of information about the entity that is the ship. Without this block (on a code basis) the ship does not actually exist. This is probably so fundamental to the game that it would take a long time to change. Otherwise it would have changed already. Schema has stated he wants to try to introduce a core relocation mechanic somehow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It is not as simple as that unfortunately. The core determines various bits of information about the entity that is the ship. Without this block (on a code basis) the ship does not actually exist. This is probably so fundamental to the game that it would take a long time to change. Otherwise it would have changed already. Schema has stated he wants to try to introduce a core relocation mechanic somehow.
    I've always wondered if it would be possible to move the ship around the core in-game instead of moving the core itself on the ship. Possibly a feature of shipyards? I'd think it would take a while in terms of recalculating each position of each block, so you could just write it off in a shipyard as the shipyard working and show the ship being disassembled in real time as each block is reconstructed in its new location for finesse.

Reactions: Achriel
    Reaction score
    Make it so you can place down other cores, but only one can be active per ship, and then allow inactive cores to be removed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The making of the code will be a bugger but it is an 'must have' for ship designers in the long run. Even if it's secondary cores and deconstruct/reconstruct in shipyard at low priority threads on servers it still needs to happen.

It could be worked around IF we had a 'cockpit' or 'control' block that acts as a link to the core (put elsewhere) and move the ship 'target' to the center of mass (graphically). This would solve most issues as the cockpit could be moved as it's no more than a build block that puts you in the core, the new ship target would be a graphic only (not the core or cockpit location) but might better represent the ships center.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Actually iirc, Schema mentioned in the Q&A a couple months back he wanted to eventually make it so we don't need cores at all or at the very least make it relocatable so I'm assuming this is a planned feature which, as Criss said, would have been done already if it was easily done. I suspect this will move up in priority once the game approaches/is in beta unless Schema has a sudden stroke of genius of how to do it easily.

But yes, 100% agree this is THE biggest problem I have with designing a ship. I always build myself into a corner needing to have the core easily accessible.

Reaction score
    if the ship core destroyed the ship is basically obsolete or whatever
    That sounds like you've been playing the bad old days of StarMade, where "coring" was the way to kill a ship.

The times have changed son, they've changed so much.

Now? "destroying" the Ship-core does squat.
    you have to kill 51% of the HP granted by system blocks to "kill" a ship, and it's performance (thrust, turn-rate, control-ability) actually degrades as it looses blocks. (and astoundingly, this usually means destroying a bit more than half of the ship anyway)

AS TO THE TOPIC PROPER:

Eh. I get the point, it would indeed be usefull, there's certainly plenty of ships out there where the core itself is in an awkward spot. (like, say, floating in the middle of an elevator door)

But, if Herr Schema's implementation of control chairs works the way he wants? It might not be needed.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    In current drafts of our plans for the game both captain's chairs and ship cores will still be practical elements of the game. Yes from a code perspective the core is most definitely required, as it represents the 0,0,0 point of the ship and the blocks are stored relative to that. This is what makes such large ships possible but also what makes it hard to move, as you'd need to update the position data for every single block, essentially moving the whole ship around the core. If added in it'll most likely be either a shipyard-only option or an advanced option that then requires your ship to reboot, similar to HP, so it can process all the changes.

From a RP perspective both chairs and ship cores still will play a more defined part in the gameplay of StarMade.

Reaction score
    That sounds like you've been playing the bad old days of StarMade, where "coring" was the way to kill a ship.
    Its one problem with the forums, you dont know if they are playing the current version or even playing at all!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    the core is most definitely required, as it represents the 0,0,0 point of the ship and the blocks are stored relative to that.
    How are the origins of stations and asteroids handled? Does it really matter if an object's origin starts at Ship Core, rather than just the first block placed(like stations)? The placement of the core relative to the chunks of the ship seems fairly arbitrary, given I can build my ship out from the core in any direction. Tying the origin to the first block placed when starting a new object would allow the ship core to be placed/moved just like any other block. The first block could just be whatever block is selected on the hotbar.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Its one problem with the forums, you dont know if they are playing the current version or even playing at all!
    I am playing the current version of starmade. No need to be a dick about it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453853217,1453853187][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How are the origins of stations and asteroids handled? Does it really matter if an object's origin starts at Ship Core, rather than just the first block placed(like stations)? The placement of the core relative to the chunks of the ship seems fairly arbitrary, given I can build my ship out from the core in any direction. Tying the origin to the first block placed when starting a new object would allow the ship core to be placed/moved just like any other block. The first block could just be whatever block is selected on the hotbar.
    And that's exactly what I was talking about

Reaction score
    I am playing the current version of starmade. No need to be a dick about it.
    Dont take it personal, it was aimed at the whole suggestion forum. Some of the stuff that gets asked or suggested you wonder if they even played the game