More Mining Drone Weirdness (Just Fleet problem)

Reaction score
    So I have been trying to make a small mining drone for the first time. I have watched tons of rail set up vidoes, fleet setup videos, drone setup videos and what I ended up with is this

starmade-gif-0000.gif

it will dock back to the ship just fine, so I am a little confused.
    Anyone have some suggestion?

Reaction score
    Did you try to dock spinning stuff to that ship for more gyro-scoping?
    It will not help with mining but it will make more spinning.

Reaction score
    So I have been trying
    Does the ship function OK when manually operated?
    Last I checked mining drones needed their core to be close to the center of mass to avoid this kind of behavior.

Also make sure salvage computer is facing to allow forward firing salvage beams.
    Check that storage is connected to salvage computer too.

Reaction score
    Does the ship function OK when manually operated?
    Last I checked mining drones needed their core to be close to the center of mass to avoid this kind of behavior.

Also make sure salvage computer is facing to allow forward firing salvage beams.
    Check that storage is connected to salvage computer too.

Ah, I forgot to connect the salvage computer to storage however the ship I had the drone attached to has been... exploded and I have to build a new one from scratch because I had not blue printed it yet, so it will be awhile before I get a new ship ready with a mining drone.

Note: the core was almost the center of gravity on the ship.
    I was able to use the mining drone in manual mode without any issues, it also would engage enemies ( not win, but engage ) without issues.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    There was a brief period where fleet mining was very close to working well, but that was around a year ago. It's currently badly broken again, but we can always hope they will fix it again... someday.

Reaction score
    Hey everyone just wanted to say After some trail and error I was able to get my drone to work reasonably well.

1.drones don't seem to like small salvage beams with cannon support
    I don't know if that is because of cool down or something but my drone work much better with damage pulse, laser, and missle tube support. they become much less sporadic.

2. I did not seem to have a connected inventory to the salvage area
    I don't have the original drone it got destroyed but this may of been a leading factor

3. as with most things in star made bigger is better
    using admin mode I spawned in several bigger ships (8x the size of the drone I have) and the fleet AI seemed much more capable of dealing with larger ships than smaller ones even at similar thrust to weight ratios

4. More ships in a fleet the better
    Sometimes even with larger ships I still ended up with 1 ship out of 3 spinning in circles while the other two mined, however after the other two mined out the block I assume the other ship was trying to mine it would wake up and start mining like normal.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, basically the fleet AI is a placeholder right now. The AI in general is a placeholder right now.

It sucks because it was never intended to be good, it was intended to be "good enough" to test other things. Its not getting updated much right now because they're still adding and changing things that it can potentially do, so they want everything to be in place before it gets rewritten from scratch.

Keep working on your fleets, but you're basically going to have to mothball them for the time being.

Reaction score
    Yep, same deal. I guess i'll come back in another year.

Probably just in time for new new new power system.