More Generated Planet Structures

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Happy.png You know, I've seen a few randomly generated cities on a couple planets. As empty and oddly generated as they were (at least half of the buildings were missing their roofs), I thought they were really cool. For once, I didn't feel so alone in the universe!

Why stop at cities, though? Why not have some more structures that can show up on planets, maybe even with people? Here's a few ideas I had in mind.

PLANETARY DEFENSE BATTERY:
    Mock-Up:
    starmade-screenshot-0006.png
    Not everyone who sees you wants to be friends, especially not these guys. They'll shoot you down from orbit!

CRASHED/DISABLED STARSHIP:
    Mock-up (Intact):
    starmade-screenshot-0008.png
    Mock-Up (Damaged):
    starmade-screenshot-0013.png
    Maybe they didn't listen to my warning about the Planetary Defense Batteries. Maybe they just ran into some engine trouble and needed to land. Either way, you need to step in and give the unfortunate pilot some help, whether that means providing a ride or just providing some working engines.

SCIENTIST'S CAMP SITE:
    Mock-Up:
    starmade-screenshot-0007.png
    I'm not exactly sure what they could be studying. Perhaps they're seismologists studying this planet's tectonic movement. Perhaps they're biologists studying the local flora and fauna. Whatever they're studying, they're probably a long way from home. Why not see if they need some supplies?

Are there any structures you want to see in the game? Tell me below!
    [doublepost=1496980280,1496979941][/doublepost]And while you're at it, why not provide a screenshot with a mock-up?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Working factories would be useful.
    Perhaps simple bases with various systems.

Perhaps have them all with no power.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I'd love to see planets with random cities.

Also, random shield generator facilities (free shield blocks).

Mining / refineries facilities would be cool (free factory enhancers, cargo blocks).

Research facilities.

Abandoned fighter bases with a couple unfactioned, docked fighters would give a reward for exploring planets, as would storage facilities / resource caches.

Communication outposts (free scanner blocks).

Colonies of primative huts made from wood and grass.

Random PTS weapons (Planet-To-Space turrets; free weapon blocks for explorers).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Working factories would be useful.
    Perhaps simple bases with various systems.

Perhaps have them all with no power.
    This is a brilliant idea. Keep the power. It rewards exploration with a ready-made starter base. I don't think that imbalances anything - it rewards exploration and potentially eases start-up grind for new players.

Great call.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm... this would give me something to do when I'm bored with my own stuff.
    I'm going to start building random stuff on planets and drop things off for fun now. ;-)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Time for a Planetary Outpost community content contest? (y)

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    I do believe I've seen this suggestion dotted around the forums numerous times before, and the response has always been the same. The people love it, Schine remains silent. This is fine, I can only assume they've more important things to worry about, like the new planets, power system, and all sorts of tinkering here and there to get this game up to scratch. Personally, I am all for having planetary structures, but I would suggest waiting for the new planets to be implemented, so we really know what we are working with here.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I do believe I've seen this suggestion dotted around the forums numerous times before, and the response has always been the same. The people love it, Schine remains silent. This is fine, I can only assume they've more important things to worry about, like the new planets, power system, and all sorts of tinkering here and there to get this game up to scratch. Personally, I am all for having planetary structures, but I would suggest waiting for the new planets to be implemented, so we really know what we are working with here.
    My thinking is that because they are busy working on the new planets it's a perfect time for this. Then they can release the new planets along with randomly spawning features from a community content contest to make it even more awesome. Obviously I'd be happy just to get the planets though :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only way people would notice these is because there would suddenly be decorative blocks in their miner cargo

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    The only way people would notice these is because there would suddenly be decorative blocks in their miner cargo
    Yes...

Because there's no reason to visit planets except to mine them.

Because there's nothing interesting or even useful about them.

Which is the whole point, see?
    :^D

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm sounds like a good idea but how would we save the things to upload them for use as random bits to spawn? o_O One issue with saving structures made on planets is currently outside of making them docked ships there's no way to save on the sections you want to or load them up correctly either. >.<

That said lets keep this going until we get more information, why not start some mini-competitions to generate some ideas? :-p

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    hmm sounds like a good idea but how would we save the things to upload them for use as random bits to spawn? o_O One issue with saving structures made on planets is currently outside of making them docked ships there's no way to save on the sections you want to or load them up correctly either. >.<

That said lets keep this going until we get more information, why not start some mini-competitions to generate some ideas? :-p
    You build it as a ship or station and let the devs deal with porting it over :)

Sounds lazy, but we know they are working on sweet new planets. They will want random stuff to put on them eventually, so it still saves them work overall.

People can post pics of their planetary randomness here I guess?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Time for a Planetary Outpost community content contest? (y)
    Did someone call for a world builder?
    Welcome home Markus_McCloud Maximus before reset.jpg
    [doublepost=1497314417,1497313946][/doublepost]

I find that templates are an easy way to save portions of a base. Most of my planetary bases are built from templates. Those that aren't are saved in pieces as templates for later use.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Nice.

And, wow... those turrets are probably the single best argument I've ever seen for the notion that individual weapon blocks are under-powered and probably ought to output and consume and weigh about 10x more per block. Because those buildings look to be at a decent scale, but the turrets look like Godzillas, yet from a SM combat perspective it's obvious that they're nothing outrageously large.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Did someone call for a world builder?
    [doublepost=1497314417,1497313946][/doublepost]
    I find that templates are an easy way to save portions of a base. Most of my planetary bases are built from templates. Those that aren't are saved in pieces as templates for later use.
    Laughing.png Ahh... This brings back memories! Thanks again for helping me out on the LvsD server!

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Nice.

And, wow... those turrets are probably the single best argument I've ever seen for the notion that individual weapon blocks are under-powered and probably ought to output and consume and weigh about 10x more per block. Because those buildings look to be at a decent scale, but the turrets look like Godzillas, yet from a SM combat perspective it's obvious that they're nothing outrageously large.
    Yeah... You'd think the smaller turrets (upper right) would be able to one-shot a small fighter but nope...
    A little fighter like this can actually tank the missiles! Don't even bother firing a machine gun at it or you be shooting for 5-10 minutes per fighter.
    SF-38 series fighter.png

Rather than let the pilots' armament and skills decide the battle, Schine chose to extend the duration of battles by making everything super tanky.
    So I had to bring out those big turrets because the local NPC pirates were sporting cruisers with over a million shields. I'd need something even bigger if I were to fight a human pilot.
    HARD unit1a.jpg

[doublepost=1497325238,1497325080][/doublepost]
    View attachment 42518 Ahh... This brings back memories! Thanks again for helping me out on the LvsD server!
    No problem. It was a pleasure having you around. As soon as Schine gets their act together with the new planets and fleet AI, I'll be back at it again and you can come visit.

Reactions: Markus_McCloud

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm all for more planetary structures, so long as ones made with valuable blocks are protected by AI turrets, NPCs, etc. You could choose to trade and find quests or fight and loot the remains.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    I'm all for more planetary structures, so long as ones made with valuable blocks are protected by AI turrets, NPCs, etc. You could choose to trade and find quests or fight and loot the remains.
    Happy.png My thoughts exactly! These would be the perfect places to find quests and NPCs!

Reactions: MacThule