Suggested Module to recycle unneeded blocks

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    As you play StarMade, salvage and pick up loot clouds, you often end up with an endless pile of items you never use (do I really need 645 race gate computers?). I think it would be a good idea to have a way to recycle the components you don't need so you can turn them into something useful. This concept is based on the "Recyclotron" from the game; Master of Orion 2. This device would work similar to a Micro Assembler by breaking down a block into its base materials for reuse in other crafting projects.

Examples.
    - You make too many varat crystal wedges. - put them in this device and you'll get back varat capsules.
    - You salvaged the wrecks of enemy ships and you end up with a lot of hull/armor in colors or shapes you don't want - put them in the device and get back alloyed metal mesh, crystal composite, fertikeen capsules, and asteroid capules (dolom, larimar, cinnabar, etc).

You can even add a 'loss percentage' in which a portion of the recycled material is lost in the breakdown process; burned off as energy consumption or waste.

Also, is there a way to sort the blocks in your inventory so they are organized like in creative mode?

Reactions: JNC

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Good suggestion @Dr.Whammy , but as you can see its already been suggested multiple times. I'm not too sure about the stance the devs have on recyclers, but I don't think that it'll be implemented any time soon (if ever).

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well, crap... Does anyone at least know how to quickly sort the blocks? That was my main reason for wanting to recycle. This stuff quickly gets disorganized and it's a real pain to sift through.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    When I get really desperate I set up a few small storage spaces to pull just the few things I'm actually looking for most often. It doesn't need to be really big, sometimes I don't even connect cargo. It refills itself from the main storage every pull.

Other then that, I know there is a suggestion thread for sorting inventory around here somewhere.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I used to make every ship from a 'filter core' (a core with a couple pre-set storage blocks to pull junk). I spent some time creating a junk filter using storage pulls that kept me from hauling garbage home. My base then has a storage for temporary sifting. Various storage bins would pull items into groups like Terrain or Building Materials. Before the cargo update I kept a dozen sub-storage categories. Now it is easier to draw from one main supply for factory pulls or building.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There's actually a recycler block hiding in the block configs. You just can't use it.

I'm pretty sure an enterprising modder could make the microassembler into a recycler, though.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is needed, along with an overhaul to pirate loot, which just seems to be dropping a bunch of a totally random item. Pirates should only be dropping items and amounts that people actually use. Killing a pirate and getting 10000 shop modules, 200 rock, and 15 pink advanced armor corners is pretty annoying.