Mobile Fortress Project[WIP]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I had this crazy idea a few days ago with some buddies for a flying station. They said it was impossible...

I said "Fuck that noise!"

This is a slightly outdated screenshot showing the full length of the ship. Notice that there is a corner of the ship that isn't rendering. It's beyond the maximum draw distance.

Here is a current screenshot showing what I have done for the docking bays and the two decks that I have planned out so far. The main docking bay is in the center and will house most general craft. The two secondary docking bays on the side will house capital class docking bays. Port and starboard docking bays are planned to be added along the shaft connecting the main docking bay with the front half of the ship.

Current planned armament consists of multiple forward arrays of AMC's and d1000 missles. Positioned along the sides will be forward facing SD-BB arrays. Turrets will be mounted on the outer perimeter and the dorsal crest.

Current dimensions:

Length: 1002m

Height: 264m

Width: 452m

Mass: 7252.7

Blocks: 75,527

The ship is mostly framed out with only a few things needing to be added before I fill it and skin it. A few other things that will be included are a respawn point, factory equipment, and an observation deck on the forward end.

Originally posted this in the screenshots forum like a doofus, deleted it and reposting it here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Woah, another big one to watch! Looking good. :)

- You can adjust your view distance in the settings.
    - You can\'t technically have a ship as a station unfortunately as there are a few blocks restricted to being on stations and not on ships. Plex Lifter, Undeathinator, and factory modules. But I assume that\'s not a concern, it\'s more the size and scale of the ship!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Admittedly, I can live without the factory modules and the undeathinator. Not having a plex lifter though is going to be a pain in the ass for anyone who docks on this thing though. From the bottom of the main docking bay it\'s about 100m straight up to get to the first deck. Oh well, time to start making some stairs/ramps.

In the meantime, I\'ve added a shallow, partial keel to the front and I\'m more than likely going to add a prow. That\'s going to add 15 to 30 meters to the front end.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Managed a few hours work today and here\'s what I have to show for it:

Started on what was orginally going to be the main reactor bay, but the sheer scope of the design was far too daunting and time consuming. It wasn\'t long before I shifted focus to something more efficient. This area is now home to secondary reactors and I\'ve started work on a new primary reactor:

This arrangement or generators and power tanks is based on the 5x5x5 reactor shown below, but extruded out along it\'s faces to form a much larger reactor of comparable efficiency.

What I\'m basically doing with my design is I\'m starting with the basic 5x5x5, and building directly off of each face. The end geometry for this arrangement contains a 3x3x3 cross embedded inside the shared face of the two reactors. This pattern can be repeated ad infinitum in all directions and is even capable of looping back in on itself.

In addition to tedious reactor tinkering, I\'ve also built ten decently sized docking bays:

Not sure how they\'ll do for most player\'s ship designs, but assuming they were able to fit in that tunnel comfortably enough to turn and aim the docking laser, they should be about the right size for those docking bays.

EDIT: Also, learned how to build and operate broadside weapons. It requires crew, but then that\'s why I\'m making docking space as plentiful as possible.