Missing block chunks: unreported bug? Workaround?

Reaction score
    I know that there was a bug of something like a full chunk of blocks 'missing', and some work has been done on that, but this variety is a little different. Many slices of a ship or station are missing, totaling to about 2/3 to 3/4 of the total block count. Affects ships of mine and ships and stations at seeming random throughout the universe, though it could be only older models being affected. Not all ships or stations. May be missing in rendered view, not truly gone.

Image processed from png screenshot to highlight black station:
    starmade-screenshot-0003.jpg

This is occurring in both an older universe, and a new universe generated in the latest version.

Initially, I changed "Amount of Chunks possibly drawn (view distance)". I set it to 1200. I'm not sure what the default value was, but I tried setting it back to 1100, which I think is default, and it did not clear up after restarting. (Edit: I also tried using the clear cache tool a couple of times.) I tried a completely new fresh universe with '1100' and the screen shot above is from that.

If this should be reported, I will.

Do I need to nuke the install (in Steam) and try a fresh one?

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Fresh install new directory, just change the path in the launcher to a new folder next to the old one. some cog-button or another.
    ->don't lose your old stuff, can copy worlds etc if fixed
    if that dun work check:
    GFX card, CPU, etc? Driver version? Logfiles?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I am too having this exact issue with many stations I've been coming by. Tried 5 different installs of starmade (all different versions) along with several reinstalls of Java (both 32 and 64 bit) and have redownloaded the stations with the issues a minimum of 3 times each from importing using the catalog importing tool so directly copying the folder to the starmade blueprint directory. Tried all the above with no success in fixing the issue. Please do not ask "Did you update you're Gpu driver?" or simple questions as such as I'm an IT during the day and would not like to spend several posts on "Yes I did turn it off and back on".

Attachments

Reaction score
    question for both of you(jay and Muffin), are you running Nvidia cards with Graphics update 378.49?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I am too having this exact issue with many stations I've been coming by. Tried 5 different installs of starmade (all different versions) along with several reinstalls of Java (both 32 and 64 bit) and have redownloaded the stations with the issues a minimum of 3 times each from importing using the catalog importing tool so directly copying the folder to the starmade blueprint directory. Tried all the above with no success in fixing the issue. Please do not ask "Did you update you're Gpu driver?" or simple questions as such as I'm an IT during the day and would not like to spend several posts on "Yes I did turn it off and back on".
    [doublepost=1486209648,1486209565][/doublepost]
    Fresh install new directory, just change the path in the launcher to a new folder next to
    GFX card, CPU, etc? Driver version? Logfiles?
    it guy... no logs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    [doublepost=1486209648,1486209565][/doublepost]it guy... no logs
    Oops thought I had attached them before bed, my bad don't get you're panties in a bunch.
    [doublepost=1486228909][/doublepost]Ok here is a more recent Log, will try some more tests this morning and will report by on my findings later.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Made a fresh install in a different Starmade folder, and using the java starter, it seemed to work fine with no issues.

When I switched to using the new launcher that is in my Steam folder, it never loaded again, getting stuck at 29%. Even going back to the local java starter, it still got stuck and I could never get that install to work again. I think I tried creating a new universe, too.

I then used the new launcher in the Steam folder to specify the new Starmade folder and force a fresh download, and this worked fine, and is still working so far, even with making various tweaks to the settings. We'll see how it goes. :/