Memory related issues

Reaction score
    So, I am having Memory Issues, you probably heard of it before. However, when searching for a sollution I did not come across people having the same problems, due to hardware probably.
    The popup in StarMade is that I need to up the min and max values for memory...
    I've got 8.00 GB of RAM, of which 2.97 is avaidable
    I've got 1024 max, 1024 min and 512 MB early generation for StarMade
    Processes shows javaw.exe needing 1,300 MB
    Don't know which Java I've got, looked for it, although I don't know where to look...
    If I up max to 1500, or 2048 for a nicer looking number, MB my game starts, but freezes at 93% loading
    My windows is Windows 32bits
    I have asked around and somebody told me something about RAM leaking away, AKA a memorychip or slot doesn't work, but I do have al my RAM installed, If I may believe systems

I think that's all about my problem, perhaps I forgot something, but I'll notice that later on, I suppose.
    Can somebody offer me some help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to say:
    I have tried lowering the settings, but I still haven't got the lowest settings

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Hello there,
    I assume you mistakenly stated you have windows 32 bit,
    please read this.

In case you still have issues with the game crashing on load, you may need to check your preferred version install (32bit, 64bit), although the default setting showing up, should be from 64bit default.

In case you really have a 32bit-windows version you should consider upgrading to a 64bit version, as as far as I know a 32 bit version cannot use that much ram at all. (Unless you use it as a ram-drive).

- Andy

Reaction score
    Hello there,
    I assume you mistakenly stated you have windows 32 bit,
    please read this.

In case you still have issues with the game crashing on load, you may need to check your preferred version install (32bit, 64bit), although the default setting showing up, should be from 64bit default.

In case you really have a 32bit-windows version you should consider upgrading to a 64bit version, as as far as I know a 32 bit version cannot use that much ram at all. (Unless you use it as a ram-drive).

- Andy
    I do have 32bits, and unless upgrading doesn't cost me 100 bucks, I am not planning on upgrading it, but perhaps on future terms I will do it.
    But, if I understand you correctly, without 64bits, I am not really going to solve the problem. (I have not yet tried the lowest settings, will do now...
    ...So, No background, 64p texturepack, less extra stuff, 1000 segments didn't solve the problem. Turning off oculus stuff, not the headsetthingy, didn't do the trick either.)

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Your best memory saving approach would be:
    Play only multiplayer (relieves the 'server part'), and play with:
    Shadows: off
    Procedural background: off
    TP-Resolution: lowest
    I suppose this may work, although my experiments with 32 bit showed up some bottlenecks although I went down with the settings pretty far.

Depending on your hardware, you can install a second OS beside the running one.
    Unless you have optimus hardware, it should run pretty good with ubuntu 64 bit releases, maybe try a live version (run from cd/dvd without touching the system) to ensure compatible hardware.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Your best memory saving approach would be:
    Play only multiplayer (relieves the 'server part'), and play with:
    Shadows: off
    Procedural background: off
    TP-Resolution: lowest
    I suppose this may work, although my experiments with 32 bit showed up some bottlenecks although I went down with the settings pretty far.

Depending on your hardware, you can install a second OS beside the running one.
    Unless you have optimus hardware, it should run pretty good with ubuntu 64 bit releases, maybe try a live version (run from cd/dvd without touching the system) to ensure compatible hardware.

- Andy
    I don't know if I'll be doing some mumbo jumbo secons OS thing, but from what I have read, upgrade doesn't cost me anything, only a bit of time, so I guess that's what I'll do... Anything I should loook out for when doing that sorta stuff?

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    I don't know if I'll be doing some mumbo jumbo secons OS thing, but from what I have read, upgrade doesn't cost me anything, only a bit of time, so I guess that's what I'll do... Anything I should loook out for when doing that sorta stuff?
    As far as I know, most windows versions have an 'Online compatibility' check, you should run it before upgrading.
    And a good advice is also:
    Open your device-manager, expand the tree, take a screenshot and print it (or save it online in case you have a second working computer at the hand to access it).
    Possibly save a DxDiag-report as it contains used drivers and detected hardware related to gaming.

This may be an ancient advise, as I had no issues when changing OSes recently, auto-detection got pretty stable, but I remember the time when I had "unknown device" in the hardware list and absolutely no clue what type of hardware it could be.
    Sometimes in case of mainboard drivers, it also could disable your GPU access or (W)LAN functions. (Have fun using 'trial and error' to get the correct driver for your network card when you have no idea about the used chip or model. (Especially on some custom notebooks with rare/manufacturer modified chips)

Also, create a backup of all your personal files, especially your daily duty/job related ones.
    Having a working backup magically prevents any errors on upgrades. =)

- Andy