"Maybe I'll add it as a gimmick one day"

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/starmade-dev-update-why-spherical-planets-dont-fit-block-world

Schema mentioned that he might add this as a gimmick someday. I it should be done at some point if it's easy to throw in as a config option. If not, I think the test build should be published so that people can play with it.

I'm not sure at the moment how much work it would be to "throw in" this code. If it's not much work, I think it should definitely be done. If it's a lot of work, it definitely should not be done now or in the near future. In any case I'd like to see this proof of concept first-hand in the game at some point because:
    1. It would be fun just to goof around with it.
    2. People can experience problems with spherical planets themselves.
    3. Some people may prefer the smooth but weird surface to the flat, segmented dodecahedrons.

Edit: Re-written for those with low reading comprehension, emphasizing the possibility of handing out the code without doing any notable work or changing the game code in any way.

Big red disclaimer:
    "Those with low reading comprehension" is intended as a joke. :P

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    I'm sure we could get a bloke to add it as a mod or something. It would be good to see is some idiot can stumble upon a magical unicorn pixie fairy fix. He could just chuck out the code for us to dick about with.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You are actively discussion this topic, quoting the same material and debating the same problems in these 3 threads.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/hire-these-guys.3197/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/round-planets.3432/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/cube-planets.3354/#post-50722

Spreading a suggestion out across multiple threads doesn't really show any more support, but dilutes it and the quality of information as it gets scattered.

Noting some of the communities apparent distaste for "slow" updates, i don't think such a low (nil) yield "gimmick" should be worked on at all for the purpose of seeing just how broken it is or "dick about with" as supra so eloquently put.

Reactions: Saber and Comr4de

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    We don't need more threads about this topic, though you do have one interesting point I'd like to comment on.

3. Some players may choose to ignore the problems and enjoy the (flawed) spheres as they are.
    One of the "flaws" with the spheres in-game now is that they cause a lot of lag for some people and are 12-sided, some of us choose to ignore those problems and enjoy the "flawed spheres" as they are. Thank you and please stop making making threads about the same "issue".

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Funnily enough the people who complain about planets are the ones that never actually set even a foot on them. To those people they just are space objects.

Ps: With the new shader everything looks a lot better and way less shiny, so now it should be even nicer to walk around on planets!

Ps: ps: Definitely try surviving on a random planet or two with nothing but your personal weapons/tools once the new crafting system is done. It will be worth it, trust me! ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Funnily enough the people who complain about planets are the ones that never actually set even a foot on them. To those people they just are space objects.
    What if they complain about lag?

I only want big (compared to your ship) canyons to fly through - Some landscape around my base.

_ Maybe you can land (=dock) a vehicle|drone at some position above ground, but it should contain equipment to avoid or resist dangerous environment.

_ all other changes are temporary and expire once there are too many temporary chunks
    _ _ after a scheduled time,
    _ _ but when a player was there since last time, expand the expire time to avoid him watching it, or render a big tornado?

Planets could have some marked spots which are available for settlements and contain blocks sticking out of the land-scape.

_ which you find through scanning (explain with having to avoid seismic, volcanic, aquatic or atmospheric activities : earth-quakes, lava streams, flood|deluge and tornadoes)

_ Maybe you are only allowed to start a certain number of settlements based on planet environment. A reason to start planetary fights :)

Reaction score
    For all things planet-related, do my signature and I'll never post another word about planets anymore. (except when I build on planets, which will be possible with the magic of 3d-mapping and lag-cutting)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We don't need more threads about this topic, though you do have one interesting point I'd like to comment on.

One of the "flaws" with the spheres in-game now is that they cause a lot of lag for some people and are 12-sided, some of us choose to ignore those problems and enjoy the "flawed spheres" as they are. Thank you and please stop making making threads about the same "issue".
    I enjoy dodecahedrons. I just wish the edges were smooth. I'd enjoy spheres, but I'd still wish the blocks weren't all weird. All I'm saying is that it would be a fun option. I am not saying by any means that this should be the default setting. It should be hidden away in the config for people to derp around with.

Ps: With the new shader everything looks a lot better and way less shiny, so now it should be even nicer to walk around on planets!

Ps: ps: Definitely try surviving on a random planet or two with nothing but your personal weapons/tools once the new crafting system is done. It will be worth it, trust me! ;)
    I've spent time on planets. They're pretty nice, particularly after the huge cliffs were removed from the segment edges. I just wish there were something to be done about the jagged seams. I just can't think of any good ideas! :( It would also be neat if there were a few nasty critters to shoot at, but I'm sure that will come in due time.

A survival scenario like that sounds fun. I probably will do it sometime.

You are actively discussion this topic, quoting the same material and debating the same problems in these 3 threads.

Spreading a suggestion out across multiple threads doesn't really show any more support, but dilutes it and the quality of information as it gets scattered.

Noting some of the communities apparent distaste for "slow" updates, i don't think such a low (nil) yield "gimmick" should be worked on at all for the purpose of seeing just how broken it is or "dick about with" as supra so eloquently put.
    As I said in the OP, this should not be done right now if it is too much work to be worthwhile. As this seems to be the case, perhaps Schema could provide a download of the test build the spherical planet screenshot was taken in (if he still has it) for us to fool around with.[DOUBLEPOST=1412444852,1412444487][/DOUBLEPOST]

All three of these are entirely different suggestions pertaining to planets in general, and I think the top one should be considered a necro. This thread is specifically about providing the proof of concept code for the experimental spherical planets (that didn't really work) to the players in the game or as a separate download.

I've tried to place different suggestions in different places. Could you please explain what the problem is? I honestly do not understand. Are you wanting every suggestion pertaining to a particular category of features to be placed in only one enormous thread?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The O.P. has been completely rewritten as people were reading it incorrectly. Please read the clarified O.P. before posting anything else.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Did you even read that news post beyond that? Spherical planets do not work in Starmade, and schema did that test specifically to prove that they don't work because of numerous game breaking issues, including...
    • other objects would have to be warped in the same way as the planed surface
    • objects around it would either be normal which would be strange on a round surface (making it bigger would not really solve the problem)
    • the physics performance would be crippling
    • it would warp with the planet, which would magnify the blocks the farther away the ship is (in that sector).
    • Every aspect would have to be warped too: lasers, missiles and anything else would all be strange.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Did you even read that news post beyond that? Spherical planets do not work in Starmade, and schema did that test specifically to prove that they don't work because of numerous game breaking issues, including...
    • other objects would have to be warped in the same way as the planed surface
    • objects around it would either be normal which would be strange on a round surface (making it bigger would not really solve the problem)
    • the physics performance would be crippling
    • it would warp with the planet, which would magnify the blocks the farther away the ship is (in that sector).
    • Every aspect would have to be warped too: lasers, missiles and anything else would all be strange.
    Please read the OP.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Please read the OP.
    I've stated why I think it isn't worth schema's valuable time to even implement it as a gimmick, at least not until the game is finished, anyway.

Reaction score
    I don't know about you guys, but I personally really like the whatever they're called things, they look cool, and it's really fun to build on them. I think building on a sphere would just get boring though.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What if they complain about lag?

I only want big (compared to your ship) canyons to fly through - Some landscape around my base.

_ Maybe you can land (=dock) a vehicle|drone at some position above ground, but it should contain equipment to avoid or resist dangerous environment.

_ all other changes are temporary and expire once there are too many temporary chunks
    _ _ after a scheduled time,
    _ _ but when a player was there since last time, expand the expire time to avoid him watching it, or render a big tornado?

Planets could have some marked spots which are available for settlements and contain blocks sticking out of the land-scape.

_ which you find through scanning (explain with having to avoid seismic, volcanic, aquatic or atmospheric activities : earth-quakes, lava streams, flood|deluge and tornadoes)

_ Maybe you are only allowed to start a certain number of settlements based on planet environment. A reason to start planetary fights :)
    This is really off-topic from this thread, but that would certainly be cool. I really wish Schema were still open to such an overhaul, but apparently he isn't. It would probably be feasible, but would end up requiring something like half of the game's development to go into planetary stuff.

I've stated why I think it isn't worth schema's valuable time to even implement it as a gimmick, at least not until the game is finished, anyway.
    ...I'm sorry? You could have just said that.

Your original post seemed to indicate that you had taken my ideas so differently from what I intended that I assumed you had not even read what I wrote here in distinct red lettering:
    If it's a lot of work, it definitely should not be done now or in the near future.