Massive planet station project

Reaction score
    Hey, I'm a titanic noobs and i want to build a planet sized station. I'm not talking about the little planets in the game but more like an actual planet. I'm talking like limit breaking size kind of planet (when its finished of course). I've done all the research i could find and well I've had to scale it down quite a bit from the original size its still a massive project nonetheless. I've got the pictures that inspired me to do this, I've drawn this multiple times, and i even got some expert help on the idea. All of it seems in the realm of possibility. Now that introductions are over, my inspiration for the idea was from halo wars. the giant forerunner planet that the spirit of fire goes in and kicks some covenant arse. its a big project and i would like some help with it, if anyone would like to help just shout out or if you don't want to just give me some advice that could help. thanks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good luck with that. I tried to build the Death Star at full scale. It didn't work. The only thing you will get out of this project is a new appreciation for >10 FPS. Otherwise, yeah... you won't succeed.

Reactions: JayPixThings

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you've scaled it down to a diameter less than 4000 blocks, it might work. (Try not to put this project on a public server; it would be best to put such a massive project on your own single-player game.)

Reaction score
    Good luck with that. I tried to build the Death Star at full scale. It didn't work. The only thing you will get out of this project is a new appreciation for >10 FPS. Otherwise, yeah... you won't succeed.
    haha, true but i still gotta try right? At least i can learn a lot from it.
    [doublepost=1488169878,1488169776][/doublepost]
    If you've scaled it down to a diameter less than 4000 blocks, it might work. (Try not to put this project on a public server; it would be best to put such a massive project on your own single-player game.)
    Thanks for the heads up but like i said I'm gonna take this to its limits and just go nuts with it. haha
    [doublepost=1488170078][/doublepost]Here is a couple of pictures that inspired me to do this

1771928-gallery.png SofInShieldWorld.png dyson2.png halo_wars__shield_world_matte_by_jjasso.jpg ShieldWorldOuterSurface.png

Reactions: Lolvondon

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you build top-down, you can get out of alignment of blocks (require 0.8m blocks to accomplish a task).
    If you build bottom-up, you get issues with alignment of pieces (houses, bigger places).

Scenery design is top-down, scenery building is bottom-up.
    You need several steps as an inexperienced who only knows bottom-up or top-down without the other.

Reaction score
    If you build top-down, you can get out of alignment of blocks (require 0.8m blocks to accomplish a task).
    If you build bottom-up, you get issues with alignment of pieces (houses, bigger places).

You need several steps as an inexperienced who only knows bottom-up or top-down without the other.
    o_O say whaa? You've hit me with some knowledge i dont know what to do with. Mind elaborating on this a bit more, sounds like its important to know.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh dang, Shield World 459 from my favorite section of Halo Lore. I just hope you've seen Skylord Luke's SoF.
    But yeah, you're not going to get too far making a planet scaled entity.

Reaction score
    Oh dang, Shield World 459 from my favorite section of Halo Lore. I just hope you've seen Skylord Luke's SoF.
    But yeah, you're not going to get too far making a planet scaled entity.
    heck yeah I've seen SkylordLuke's Spirit of Fire, Its BA. I'm not making it to scale of a planet i realize its far too much for Starmade to handle and i don't think even my computer could handle that big of a structure made of millions of blocks.
    [doublepost=1488344376,1488344292][/doublepost]I plan to make this as best as i can and deal with problems as they come.

Reaction score
    I'm building a 5 kilometer ship, and my computer seems fine at 4010m, so you should be able to build big as stations don't move...

Reaction score
    Yeah, I run a GTX 1070 with 32gb of ram and an i7, and still a fully turretted, mostly decked out 1km ship still brings me sub 60 fps.
    My computer has a little less ram but the rest is the same. Hopefully it holds up, my worst fear is that i wont be able to finish it.

Reaction score
    I'm building a 5 kilometer ship, and my computer seems fine at 4010m, so you should be able to build big as stations don't move...
    Thanks for telling me, but its gonna be a bit bigger then 4000m. I'm thinking about 8000m or 10000m, although i have to see how things go and what people suggest. Also 6000m is in the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Lolvondon

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

o_O say whaa? You've hit me with some knowledge i dont know what to do with. Mind elaborating on this a bit more, sounds like its important to know.
    You can build an awesome hangar and then put your ships in a tiny spot of a big place (top down).
    Or you can build with modular designs put together (bottom-up)

Reaction score
    You can build an awesome hangar and then put your ships in a tiny spot of a big place (top down).
    Or you can build with modular designs put together (bottom-up)
    Ah i think i get what you're talking about. Bottom up for a usable creation, and top down for a aesthetically pleasing build, right??

Reaction score
    This is the start of something big... Although its like a 10th of its original size I wanted, its still gonna be massive. starmade-screenshot-0037.png

Reactions: greatmatt
    Reaction score
    Hey, would anyone like to help me?? I mean honestly i suck at detailing things and logic, or you could teach me. Oh! Also i'll be posting a speedbuild video on it when im done with the shell.

Reaction score
    Day 3 cause day 2 was absolute shite. So i made a few changes as you can see the "inner crust" layer is about 500 blocks bigger and the entire sphere is 750 blocks larger making it about 5401 meters in diameter. I started having trouble after I went past that. i also placed a sphere where the sun will be and a sphere on the inside so i can put systems in there. (The outline is very hard to see in the second picture)

starmade-screenshot-0040.png starmade-screenshot-0041.png

Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Remember, that trouble you were having is only going to get infinitely worse as you add blocks.

Reaction score
    Remember, that trouble you were having is only going to get infinitely worse as you add blocks.
    It wasn't that big to begin with, I just couldn't add anymore blocks in length, height, and width without manually having to place them, so i took it as a sign not to go any further