Make turn rate zero below a certain tmr

Would you like this?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I believe turn rate should become zero when the tmr - a constant value** of a vessel goes below a certain threshold.
    Why? Because:

1. It makes much more sense that way.
    2.When I shoot out the thrusters of ship, I expect it to be "dead in the water", and not being able to turn around and shoot in every direction.

*turn rate already depends on tmr. (thanks DerpGamerX, others). This is a suggestion to change how it depends on tmr.
    **configurable constant value. I'd say it should be about 0.01

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Good. the problem is people would just defeat this system by hiding thrusters inside their ship, but yeah that is a good suggestion.

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This is already in the game.

Let me be more specific:
    Turn rate is already based on mass and tmr. It is not based on axis dimensions. People make stick ships not because they turn fast, but because its good for reactors.

Please stop posting "suggestions" that are already core game mechanics and do some research next time.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

Let me be more specific:
    Turn rate is already based on mass and tmr. It is not based on axis dimensions. People make stick ships not because they turn fast, but because its good for reactors.

Please stop posting "suggestions" that are already core game mechanics and do some research next time.
    SO, the newb from 2017 is telling the old-hat from 2014 how they're wrong...Interesting.
    What part of uncoupling turn speed from dimensions are you so certain is in the game? If you take a 150M long(z) stick and rotate it left/right by 90 degrees, it's going to rotate just as fast that 90 degrees as a 150M TALL (y) stick? You SURE about that?

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    SO, the newb from 2017 is telling the old-hat from 2014 how they're wrong...Interesting.
    What part of uncoupling turn speed from dimensions are you so certain is in the game? If you take a 150M long(z) stick and rotate it left/right by 90 degrees, it's going to rotate just as fast that 90 degrees as a 150M TALL (y) stick? You SURE about that?
    I am a noob from 2017 and i know that (i think)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9

Let me be more specific:

Firstly, as Dr. Tardis pointed out, turn rates do differ across axes. Building a long line of blocks along the x-axis allows you to rotate about the x axis very fast, while it hinders rotation along the y and z axes. From what understand, turn rate along any axis depends on the dimensions along the other two axes and total mass. A 150m long thin ship turns slower (and rolls faster) than a cube ship of the same mass.

I meant make turn rate = 0 when tmr = 0 and then let it scale up from there.

Good. the problem is people would just defeat this system by hiding thrusters inside their ship, but yeah that is a good suggestion.
    I don't see how "hiding" thrusters inside the ship is a problem. It is simply another system group that needs to be protected. (Just like hiding power blocks is not an issue :P)

Last edited:

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1. Uh...what?
    2. Turn rates differ across axes. Building a long line of blocks along the x-axis allows you to rotate about the x axis very fast, while it hinders rotation along the y and z axes.
    3. From what understand, turn rate along any axis depends on the dimensions along the other two axes and total mass. A 150m long thin ship turns slower (and rolls faster) than a cube ship of the same mass.

Not sure if it was clear. I meant make turn rate = 0 when tmr = 0 and then let it scale up from there.

I don't see how "hiding" thrusters inside the ship is a problem. It is simply another system group that needs to be protected. (Just like hiding power blocks is not an issue :P)
    oh yeah I guess, and then integ prevents spaghetti.