Make the shield bubble radius increase bigger per recharger

Should the Bubble shields be changed to have a greater radius increase per recharger

• yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
    • no

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Srsly I have a 1300m Long flagship Problem is its not wide it its long I cannot go above 45mio power reg and now here is my Problem I NEED AT MINIMUM 30mio shield recharge to shield the ship and how should I power the rest guys this shield bubble is useless af it minderes creativity and if u want todo this I am out and I guess many other are going to dislike this too.
    Also I dont really have a clue how proportional the shields work, srsly I place 100*30*40 radius increase by 30m max

Reaction score
    For stations (especially those that allow medium or large ships to dock) the shield bubbles are far too small.

For insanely long ships (e.g. > 500 meters) the shield bubbles are too small (but honestly, these abominations deserve a nerf to offset the reactor/stabiliser bonuses).

For large ships (e.g. 300 to 500 meters); if you have a single shield then the bubble is too small, and if you try to have multiple shield facings the shield bubbles are too big.

For everything else (medium and smaller ships); if you have a single shield then it actually works (woot!) because "too large" is fine, and if you try to have multiple shield facings the shield bubbles are far too big.

In other words; making the shield bubble smaller will make things worse for a lot of people, and making the shield bubble larger will make things worse for a lot of people. There is no size compromise that could make it work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you have a smaller radius, you gonna need more radi.

with more radi, you need more rechargers

with more rechargers you can make a bigger bubble in the first place

Seems like a totally dumb mechanism, or not?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    no, the whole mechanic should be thrown out, dragged in a dark alley and shot.
    We know that will not happen tho so
    If you have a smaller radius, you gonna need more radi.

with more radi, you need more rechargers

with more rechargers you can make a bigger bubble in the first place

Seems like a totally dumb mechanism, or not?
    but since shield recharge equals power like 1 shield reg = 1 energy reg we have a Problem and the bubble is not like the more the more or at least not increasing in a straight line which is not good

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    but since shield recharge equals power like 1 shield reg = 1 energy reg we have a Problem and the bubble is not like the more the more or at least not increasing in a straight line which is not good
    Perhaps we should get bubble size dependent on capacitors which require "shield stabilizers which are linked to power regen". (perhaps you understand that there is a joke)

With rechargers per group which require standby power, multiple shield groups are punished.

Reaction score
    The shield will always be too big or to small, and on top of that shield reg will always be low because of the power limitations for instance:
    If you want to shield a ship around 250 with over 100,000 shield reg you just can not power it and the bubble barley fits.
    Need to either let the player decide how big the bubble is (effecting reg and or capacity in the process), or reduce the amount of power shields need / increase the amount of power reactors generate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think they should switch the dynamics around; make the capacitor determine the size of the shield bubble...

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I think they should switch the dynamics around; make the capacitor determine the size of the shield bubble...
    Then someone will come along and suggest that the bubble collapses based on remaining energy in the capacitor.

Reaction score
    I think the bubble should collapse, based on percentage of remaining shields. At 20% your shield bubble is actually only covering a fifth of it's initial area.

:davedurr:

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    We know that will not happen tho so

It is a big departure from previous shields, but before this shields were OP and so effective that there was almost no point in adding armor, which was by comparison ineffectual. I'm ok with shields being less omnipotent and requiring significant sacrifices to employ, but I do understand the frustration - it's hard even to know the role of shields at this point.

What we do know is that you cannot simply load out a functional capital ship with 20M shields in an unplanned mass and expect it to effectively shield-tank while also performing other major roles. The new systems all seem designed to deman more role specialization, and shield tanks are apparently not excluded.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I voted n because I think bubble size should not depend on number of rechargers.

It should depend on number of emitters which is a new block.