Make Salvaging Consistent

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Currently, derelict stations give only scrap, despite their blocks being full health, and damaged blocks on overheated ships give the block. This is inconsistent. I propose salvaging be change to the following rules:

-Damaged blocks will give scrap.
    -Full HP blocks will give the block.
    -Change derelict stations to be composed of blocks with 10% health.
    -This will make the stations look more derelict.
    -These blocks will not be able to be repaired until credits are spent to claim the station.​

In addition to this, I'd like to add a new mechanic for salvaging:

When a ship overheats, it doesn't disappear. Instead, it becomes a new type of entity like asteroids. These would no longer be reboot-able, but they would give players time to come back after a battle to salvage parts of their ships. If another player happens across one of these, they could salvage it or explore the interior.

NPC ships could also be occasionally spawned like this at locations where NPC factions had a battle.

Reaction score
    The problem with this, is that I've seen many players who don't salvage defeated opponents. Even I, or probably You too left some either because they drifted so far we lost track of them, or were in a hurry to get somewhere, or just felt like we don't need those materials today.

The galaxy being a big place, dead pirate waves accumulate quickly, and are not found by other people who'd be looking for some easy salvage.

The end result is, the server is starting to get laggy and needs to be cleaned up manually, or the staff needs to write a custom script to bring back the system you just deleted; The despawning of dead ships.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I agree with the npc ship derelicts but maybe not every time when they have a battle or when players have battles. I think the reboot countdown should stay but it would be nice if the ship exploded before disappearing. Also why not have random npc battles spawn around the player(s) based on location and relations? Depending on the ship sizes the spoils could be worth something to players especially if chambers are made more expensive.

Reaction score
    The big problem I've seen, and not sure how this plays out in power 2.0 is that small stuff not worth salvaging like hangar doors and AMS turrets often don't overheat and become permanent server junk, and big stuff like ship hulls > 200k that are really worth salvaging randomly disappear before they finish their overheat cycle. I've heard you can not blast off docked stuff anymore, if this is the case, I'd suggest making big stuff have longer overheat cycles, and small stuff vaporize too when the main ship overheats...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Stations giving scrap is a countermeasure. People would just place down a build block and tear down the entire station in seconds without even bothering with scrap, which Schine never did anything with.

Might be nice to see a ship wide damage when it overheats, like every block takes 10%, and then have a scrap return based on the health of the block. A block at 70% would return some of the materials used, but 30% would just be scrap.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Stations giving scrap is a countermeasure. People would just place down a build block and tear down the entire station in seconds without even bothering with scrap, which Schine never did anything with.
    That's why I suggested making the blocks at 10% health. The stations wouldn't be able to be abused then.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some cool ideas and feedback here!

If done well and with the proper considerations, I could see derlict ships being a viable feature.
    They would likely need to meet certian criteria to form, and possibly docked entities would have to still overheat to prevent clutter, just leaving the main hull.
    Some criteria could be:
    • Over (x) mass, server config setting
    • Has (x)% of it's systems/mass/blocks left (to prevent near vapourised ships).
    • There are less than (x) derilict ships in the sector, OR even server wide (e.g max num of derlict ships per any given time) (server setting).
    • Upon formation docked entities are removed/overloaded. Very simple to program.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    IMO, using salvage beams on it should give blocks, while buildblocking it should give scrap or nothing.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    IMO, using salvage beams on it should give blocks, while buildblocking it should give scrap or nothing.
    Even if you just used salvage beams, you'll end up with stations that have been carved to bits. Some blocks are more valuable than others, 90% of the time you wont salvage all the basic hulls. At least with the current version you have an incentive if you want to repair and salvage a station to take it all.