Make repulsors change ship frame of reference [boarding would work]

Reaction score
    Repulsors are super cool mechanics !

I think when they start working you should make the target entity (the entity repulsors repulse you from) a frame of reference. I.e all movement is calculated with it as zero point - just like "aligning" in astronaut mode.
    Currently when parent entity moves shit happens (repulsors are prone to erra , my guess is coz the movement is calculated vs cosmos not vs entity.

Not only this would be more stable but would allow nice mechanics for boarding and attaching yourself to enemy vessel.
    Once you are close to enemy ship and start "hover" over its surface frame of reference of your ship should be changed you attach your ship to the enemy one and move with it.

When you move away of the ship frame of reference changes and you inherit the movement of parent.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zerefette
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This is an interesting idea. Some sort of boarding assist would be handy, but I do worry that if boarding became too easy it would quickly overpower other attack types.

Repulsors are cool; I would almost rather see a second, repulsor-like tool to assist with forced docking and boarding. Some kind of close range tractor beam/repulsor that makes the target the frame of reference.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1. Attach to enemy ship
    2. Fire beams into hull to cut a way in
    3. Deploy the SPAESS MUHREENZ
    4. Profit

Reactions: Alphajim
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is an interesting idea. Some sort of boarding assist would be handy, but I do worry that if boarding became too easy it would quickly overpower other attack types.

Repulsors are cool; I would almost rather see a second, repulsor-like tool to assist with forced docking and boarding. Some kind of close range tractor beam/repulsor that makes the target the frame of reference.
    The ammount of no cost counter boarding options avalible kinda nullifies boarding as a threat in anything but Role Playing unfortunately XD

Reaction score
    The ammount of no cost counter boarding options avalible kinda nullifies boarding as a threat in anything but Role Playing unfortunately XD
    I'm aware of it - I've posted a suggestion to on turn of self-collisions for missiles swarms.

Anyway Starmade has many gameplay-breaking issues - that severly limit viable choices - however this doesn't make this idea invalid.
    I would say one piece of boarding puzzle is alignment of ships.
    Other would be getting rid of missile swarms that kills astronauts.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I'm aware of it - I've posted a suggestion to on turn of self-collisions for missiles swarms.

Anyway Starmade has many gameplay-breaking issues - that severly limit viable choices - however this doesn't make this idea invalid.
    I would say one piece of boarding puzzle is alignment of ships.
    Other would be getting rid of missile swarms that kills astronauts.
    One more potential advantage to defining interior ship areas within bounding boxes or custom defined zones would be that it should become possible to exclude weapons passing freely and harmlessly through the interiors of the ship firing them to hit astonauts or even other entities.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    One more potential advantage to defining interior ship areas within bounding boxes or custom defined zones would be that it should become possible to exclude weapons passing freely and harmlessly through the interiors of the ship firing them to hit astonauts or even other entities.
    Then the difficulty comes to:
    -How to stop Pulses embedded in the ship destroying all life
    -How to deal with interior turrets (I love making them. even if they are never used)

If crew (eventualy) became a thing chances are pulses would no longer be viable.
    More gear/in-depth combat could help regarding to turrets.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Then the difficulty comes to:
    -How to stop Pulses embedded in the ship destroying all life
    -How to deal with interior turrets (I love making them. even if they are never used)

If crew (eventualy) became a thing chances are pulses would no longer be viable.
    More gear/in-depth combat could help regarding to turrets.
    I like interior turrets too and you make a good point. It would suck to have an interior turret limited to firing within a compartment even when directly facing into a hallway with clear LOS to its target. But it would suck less than random crap flying through compartments all the time, IMO.

My thought on pulse is that you can always designate the output at the end of a "ramming arm" if you wanted to use it inter-ship without frying your own crew.

If we wanted to end ships self-scrubbing with pulse, the existence of crew compartments themselves could probably accomplish this long before crew itself was ever implemented, since they would be defining a physical space that could register a pulse hitting them either by taking actual direct damage or for a period of time levelling down the benefits they provide at a rate concurrent to the power of the pulse that affects them (ghost crew got killed).

Reaction score
    I think when they start working you should make the target entity (the entity repulsors repulse you from) a frame of reference
    Plus. It also should also target docket entity frame of reference, so lifts, trains and "belts" would move hover crafts. It even will allow "realistic" spin gravity stations.