Make planets great again

Reaction score
    Hallo Starmaders
    I have an Idea and if you have a diffrent opinion regarding it please share!!

What if we had a reason to visit planets in starmade, what if there were unknown alien creatures on planets, not all planets support life for examble a planet too far or to close to a star would not meet the requirements for life and what if 1 in every 10 or 20 systems could carry some sort of "intelligent" life "robotic", "humanoid" these intelligent life forms could have cities with intelligent A.I going about their normal daily routines(staxel, stardew valley, just an thought for intelligent lifes daily routine) Or even a long lost destroyed intelligent planet with scars of "war", "astroid impact" you get the idee. What if you could trade with some of those intelligent beings on planets or get rare items from them that could only be found on that planet "like a rare ship design from an ancient race" then you could trade for that design and load it at your shipyard, these are all just thoughts.

At the moment we have planets, but we dont have a reason to visit them, all we do with them is mine for recources, they are not intresting. What do you Starmaders think, if you disagree then share your views, would like to know what you all think.

Reactions: Macharius
    Reaction score
    What if we had non-lagging planets? Let's start with that
    Well I upgraded my graphics card now using a Gtx 1050 ti G1 and my planets are not lagging anymore, what if you upgraded your system :)

yoyo2901

Meatshield
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well I upgraded my graphics card now using a Gtx 1050 ti G1 and my planets are not lagging anymore, what if you upgraded your system :)
    sure.. if you could send me some money.. maybe around 1000 euro's.. don't get me wrong i really like the idea but at this point of time most of the people cant handle planets and around half of that cant afford a expensive graphics card. Schine has to either stop these planets from lagging or make a new one that doesnt lag.

Reaction score
    sure.. if you could send me some money.. maybe around 1000 euro's.. don't get me wrong i really like the idea but at this point of time most of the people cant handle planets and around half of that cant afford a expensive graphics card. Schine has to either stop these planets from lagging or make a new one that doesnt lag.
    I see your point, the bit coin mining causes prices to sky rocket for graphics cards, but the 1050s are not used for those mining rigs, in south africa they are kinda cheap and deliver good performance dont know their price range in your state thought, but its true what your saying, it probably will be fixed but not anytime soon, planets are not actually a priority at the moment the gameplay mechanics are, when those are done then maybe we will see new content regarding planets and so on

Reaction score
    you may be interested in this thread ...its slightly more aimed at the idea of empires in places, but civilisations get quite a bit of talk :) i love the idea and am currently drawing up a ridiculously over-complicated idea for how settlers and colonies could work!

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Planets lag servers. On Aetherion, you get 1000 ping when planet mining. It's only allowed when no one else is online.

Reaction score
    you may be interested in this thread ...its slightly more aimed at the idea of empires in places, but civilisations get quite a bit of talk :) i love the idea and am currently drawing up a ridiculously over-complicated idea for how settlers and colonies could work!
    Cant wait to read your idea on empires, sound like it could make starmade intresting, my idea was just to add a reason why we as players should visit planets, space battles and creative building is the main focus of the game but planets should also have a purpose for being in the game they cant just be there for show and mining that destroyes the point of having planets in the first place, thats just my thoughts

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    making planets non-mine-able would be a decent stop-gap fix, as implemented in many server-rules (at least in the past) > destroy them, or find asteroids, or do it 'on foot' etc...

somebody will inevitabley/always/one-day try to mine a planet with oversized giant-hungry salvage arrays - this will always cause calculation spikes.

low calculation-load methods include gentle strip-mining with a blade-ship or fixed-rail blade...I have tested this my self in the past - very slowly (eg 1m/s)sweeping/drifting over and cutting very deep, without leaving loads of 'crumbs' (ie minimum extra faces to calculate) produces minimal spikes in CPU load...it takes time this way, but is efficient > go make a cup of tea, enjoy the garden, or watch another cat video while you wait :)

Reactions: Wimpie and alij331
    Reaction score
    You have a intresting view
    making planets non-mine-able would be a decent stop-gap fix, as implemented in many server-rules (at least in the past) > destroy them, or find asteroids, or do it 'on foot' etc...

somebody will inevitabley/always/one-day try to mine a planet with oversized giant-hungry salvage arrays - this will always cause calculation spikes.

low calculation-load methods include gentle strip-mining with a blade-ship or fixed-rail blade...I have tested this my self in the past - very slowly sweeping over and cutting very deep, without leaving loads of 'crumbs' (ie minimum extra faces to calculate) produces minimal spikes in CPU load...it takes time this way, but is efficient > go make a cup of tea, enjoy the garden, or watch another cat video while you wait :)
    Dude you kinda missed the whole point of my post or you should climb back up that tree you fell out of, not against planet mining my idea was just to give planets a purpose and not just to let them be one more thing out there in the great galactic universe but that they actually motivate players to explore the universe and all its offerings but in the meen time I will go drink tea and watched cat videos while I wait :)

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Planets are poorly implimented, and require significant fix.
    Previous fixes have made them look better, but have only negativly affected performance.

They apparently have something in the pipes, however weather anything will be brought to fruitian is a completly different story.
    Previous fixes have been rejected due to not being 100% seemless, thus unfortunatly performance seems to not be a major concern (unless they know something we don't, hard to know when communication is spotty at best).

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Planets are poorly implimented, and require significant fix.
    Previous fixes have made them look better, but have only negativly affected performance.
    Current planets are heavily unoptimised, ever since we started work on our new planets, little to no work has gone into current ones. Achieving better performance than the current ones isn't a challenge at all. We have a number of potential systems which could see planet size increase drastically, we're not at a stage to be able to tell if that will work just yet.
    Current planets are not something we've worked on performance wise, a new planet system will completely replace the existing one.

I go into a little detail here: The Importance of Planets

You might be able to find larger more in-depth posts by one of us, there are at least a couple I've written.

Reaction score
    Current planets are not something we've worked on performance wise, a new planet system will completely replace the existing one.

You might be able to find larger more in-depth posts by one of us, there are at least a couple I've written.
    I did not know there was already a debate on planets in one of the threads, that in a sense renders my thread useless, but after reading all the replies on that thread were you replied there are a lot of intresting ideas regarding exploration But the main point of it all is basically to give planets a purpose and reason for existing, whatever you guys are already working on for the game regarding planets im sure it will be for the best of the game, if players want farming and so on they can add it with mods, just an idea, i will definitly get those mods will make my game intresting. In the end i cant wait to set foot on your new planets and to explore whatever it is thats planned to be on them. Planets in my mind is in a sense a "get away" Or relaxing enviroment from space for a short while, were you can just walk around and enjoy the beautiful views and sun sets and when your done taking a break from space head back into the deep void and go battle on again:)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor

Thank you,
    Glad to hear theres a plan in place, can't wait to see what you guys cook up!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Planets lag servers. On Aetherion, you get 1000 ping when planet mining. It's only allowed when no one else is online.
    I, for one, want to see planet mining via ship-based salvage beams to be disabled by default.

As for making planets useful... I have another reason: Pirate spawn fix: Make them "afraid" of trade stations and planets

You don't need a 1050 to see planets. A 800-series, though a 900-series is better. Turning off bloom and other lighting effects helps a lot too.