Read by Council Make dark grey hull more dark

Reaction score
    Hello.
    Dark grey hull isn't that dark compared to standard and advanced. I propose that:

1. The current grey hull texture be replaced by the current dark grey hull texture.
    2. Then the dark grey hull texture be replaced by a darker version of the current grey hull texture.

If you look at the picture below

ALL the top 3 armour blocks are dark grey. Notice how the dark grey hull is exceptionally light compared to the advanced and standard variant.

Also notice how the dark grey hull has almost the EXACT same darkness of grey of the regular grey standard armor (the block below the dark grey hull).

The way the current colors are annoys me because the dark grey hull is simply a less heavy version of the grey standard armor instead of an actual dark grey version - which I want for a build, and would be nice if an actual dark grey version of the basic hull existed so that the same colour could be achieved as their standard/advanced cousins but not weigh so damn much.

kupu I see that you are the texture artist so I hope you can give your opinion about this issue I am having.

Last edited:

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    it is intentially like that because of the reason on which you stated
    dark grey hull is simply a less heavy version of the grey standard armor
    it is a dark grey version of grey hull, dark grey standard armour is a dark version of grey standard armour, and dark grey advanced is a dark version of grey advanced armour.

if you notice grey hull is about the same brightness more than the grey standard armour as dark grey hull is of dark grey standard armour. so no change is needed.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hull blocks within each colour grouping are all lighter or have more pastel colours than their standard / advanced counterparts. This gives a second rough colour tone for each colour option if players want to accent their builds disregarding mass and stats.

The difference of these colours is made from block type to block type. Dark grey Hull is darker than Grey Hull. This is so people can differentiate clearly if they want to building within a single hull type due to stats or mass limits.

Even then, Dark Grey Hull is slightly darker than Standard Grey so if people do want to mix greys with less contrast, they can.
    Or perhaps some people would like that similar grey tone but in a smoother variant without the machined pattern...

It's set up to try and give the most flexibility, not uniformity.

I've just sampled the average values of our grey scale blocks (note the lightest grey is actually white, additive lighting brightens it in game).

[
    ]

This is in my opinion a pretty healthy spread without having every unique block a different tone. We don't have both standard and advanced using different tones so players can "aztec"or "greeble" within a single colour range using the surface pattern differences.

I'm always open to colour changes, we've done loads in the past. But do know that i usually sit on them for 4-6 months to make sure it's actually wanted and needed by a large consensus of players and team members.

Reactions: Lukwan

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Going to have to agree with kupu on this one. The colors seem fine to me, and allow for detailing.