Recognized by Council Main Menu Background Suggestion

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The new menu looks amazing, and the screenshot in the back looks great, even if it is just a temporary placeholder. But rather than just making the camera move, or maybe cycling through a few different moving shots, why not involve the community?

The long and short of it all is this: use fancy screenshots of the latest, most popular community content submissions for the main menu background.

This would be a great way to keep the Starmade community more engaged with the state of the game, so even if a player doesn't check the StarMadeDock every half hour they are still exposed to what other players are doing. Maybe add in a small detail box in a corner of the screen stating the content's name and creator with a link.

This would also give the devs a real reason to implement an overhaul of the popular content section, which has already been proposed by Aynslei in this thread. "Popular Content" is not relative based on time.

Reaction score
    I have only seen the screenshot in Schema's announcement so I can't really tell how it looks and works in game, but I was wondering... what about having the game take a screenshot at the time of logout (or remember the scene, if it's going to be animated), and use that as the background the next time? There would have to be a fallback of course for the very first time the game is started, or any other time no previous view is available, which could be exactly the content jstenholt suggested.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That would be neat, but it doesn't carry the same benefits that showing off the best of what the community is cooking up any given week. It could change every update.

Reaction score
    Very neat idea----so every update, the devs (OR, even better, we choose which vessels have the coolest screenshots, and give those images to the devs. Involving the community more) put a new series of images in.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ideally, every new update the best ships on the site since the last update would be chosen by popularity, and then somebody, be they a dev or a councilor or just a volunteer would take a nice screenshot and that would be the new background until the next update. So anywhere between 2 and 5 weeks.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Like the concept, not sure if plausible.. but will bump for review!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I personally don't like this idea, because what if I want my own screenshots, rather than the community's? However, I would like a folder from which the Main Menu pulls a random picture, cycling through every once in awhile. Until then, I'll find something nice to replace the default Main Menu background.