Made a 1:10 scale model of a carrier - what do you think?

Reaction score
    So I did some fanatasising about making myself a roughly 300m long carrier.

For this I made a 1:10 scaled small ship model of it, with the main turrets (pipes), walkways (yellow forcefield), and hangar bays (plex door) laid out.

My initital goal was to engineer an easy to model hull shape, that doesn't have to many wedged corners, and would be easy to fill...But then I was kinda in a flow and...I failed with the easy shape part. ^^

What do you think about the idea? Did you ever use small scaled models to get a clue about your next project?

Anyway some questions arrised:

1.) I plan on making my turrets drain power from a docked reactor. My plan is to give each turret the abilit to shoot with 2mill e/s. Imagine having 6 turrets that are doing that. =) The reactors will be 30x30x30m long each, and are indicated with the red hull on the screenshot. I plan on making a base dock, where I put in the power regen, and on top of that I mount the turret base and barrel dock. Does it work like this? I do it like that, because I don't know if the power is going to change, and also I can reuse those turrets on other stations then.

2.) How many and where should I place my auxilary power? (I know there is some golden number where you get the most return, and I am going to look that up.)

3.) Should I make the ship longer? I mean it will turn like a turtle anyway, so having a long profile would be not that beneficial I guess...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hey JinM making the ship longer would give more system room and not increase the frontal surface for pvp,and i'm not sure if docked reactors would work well because the power transfer beams don't work anymore.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    hey JinM making the ship longer would give more system room and not increase the frontal surface for pvp,and i'm not sure if docked reactors would work well because the power transfer beams don't work anymore.
    they do - just not with anything they are docked to

Reaction score
    Use docked power cores below the turrets. Also, making the ship longer increases turning time.
    [doublepost=1494558164,1494558129][/doublepost]
    So I did some fanatasising about making myself a roughly 300m long carrier.

For this I made a 1:10 scaled small ship model of it, with the main turrets (pipes), walkways (yellow forcefield), and hangar bays (plex door) laid out.

My initital goal was to engineer an easy to model hull shape, that doesn't have to many wedged corners, and would be easy to fill...But then I was kinda in a flow and...I failed with the easy shape part. ^^

What do you think about the idea? Did you ever use small scaled models to get a clue about your next project?

Anyway some questions arrised:

1.) I plan on making my turrets drain power from a docked reactor. My plan is to give each turret the abilit to shoot with 2mill e/s. Imagine having 6 turrets that are doing that. =) The reactors will be 30x30x30m long each, and are indicated with the red hull on the screenshot. I plan on making a base dock, where I put in the power regen, and on top of that I mount the turret base and barrel dock. Does it work like this? I do it like that, because I don't know if the power is going to change, and also I can reuse those turrets on other stations then.

2.) How many and where should I place my auxilary power? (I know there is some golden number where you get the most return, and I am going to look that up.)

3.) Should I make the ship longer? I mean it will turn like a turtle anyway, so having a long profile would be not that beneficial I guess...

Where are your hangers? I can't find them

[Edit]
    Ah. Plex Doors. Somehow TLDR'd on 10 sentances.

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    I don't, but that's an interesting approach.

Dammit, missclick, welp I'll edit quickly Done.

That'll work. If I may voice two remarks though:
    - 30x30x30 will be a bit small to easily get those 2m e/s (or even 1m6~1m8 e/s) with a good efficiency (you'll get ~280e/s/reactor block tops if you want to reach 2m e/s) , you may want to make those slightly bigger/wider
    - If you haven't thought about it yet and plan to "embed" the docked reactors in your hull I suggest making the docked reactor pyramidal rather than cubic for two reasons: first you can reasonably fit reactors in a pyramidal shape if you're clever (while saving a bit of space if the pyramid would be "contained" in the cube), second, it'll be easier on the server when they undock because they'll have more degrees of liberty (and will collide with the ship a bit less):
    example.jpeg
    (the colored part is supposed to be a docked entity, docked at the orange point to the ship in black, the black arrows show how the docked entity can move if undocked, you may use wedges to "smooth" the pyramid and mask the 1-block space on the sides)

Where they aren't likely to be hit (I think the "optimal" number in terms of efficiency is something like 9891, but you don't have to use exactly that number)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I don't, but that's an interesting approach.

Dammit, missclick, welp I'll edit quickly Done.

That'll work. If I may voice two remarks though:
    - 30x30x30 will be a bit small to easily get those 2m e/s (or even 1m6~1m8 e/s) with a good efficiency (you'll get ~280e/s/reactor block tops if you want to reach 2m e/s) , you may want to make those slightly bigger/wider
    - If you haven't thought about it yet and plan to "embed" the docked reactors in your hull I suggest making the docked reactor pyramidal rather than cubic for two reasons: first you can reasonably fit reactors in a pyramidal shape if you're clever (while saving a bit of space if the pyramid would be "contained" in the cube), second, it'll be easier on the server when they undock because they'll have more degrees of liberty (and will collide with the ship a bit less):
    View attachment 41762
    (the colored part is supposed to be a docked entity, docked at the orange point to the ship in black, the black arrows show how the docked entity can move if undocked, you may use wedges to "smooth" the pyramid and mask the 1-block space on the sides)

Where they aren't likely to be hit (I think the "optimal" number in terms of efficiency is something like 9891, but you don't have to use exactly that number)
    Yo, the 2mill e/s is way too high, but I aim for the highest I can get out of the 30x30x30 shape.

But after sleeping over it, I think the docked reactors are a bad idea, if I can't make them so that they easily undock from the ship in case of destruction. Engineering the ship with the idea "hey it will never get destroyed" is a little bit odd...

It will be very likely, that I dock them not inside, but in the way of your approach: A shape that can easily pop out.

But I asked myself this important question: Is this even ok for pvp? I mean its absolutely within the game mechanics, and wouldn't lag the server too much, if the reactors are built in a propper way. But is it a honorable way of designing a ship, as it easily bypasses power limitations?