Low Framerate Even at 16GB?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Sad.png For some reason, my new laptop isn't running StarMade very well. It's a fairly powerful PC, having 16GBs of RAM, but for some reason, the framerate rarely exceeds 40 FPS and often tanks as low as single digits. I dialed back the settings (lowered render distance, texture pack set at 64x64 resolution, no shadows, etc.), but the framerate is still weak at best. What bothers me most is that I have a desktop PC with the same amount of RAM, and it runs the game at 120+ FPS... even with shadows, a higher render distance, and playing multiplayer!

I'm not expecting to be able to run the game at max graphics on a laptop; that's not what I'm asking for. No, what I want is a game that runs at a framerate faster than a typical slideshow.

Here's my specs if it helps:

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga
    Processor: Intel Core i7-6600 CPU @ 2.60 GHz
    RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 usable)
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Shy.png If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated!

Reaction score
    RAM isn't the biggest factor in running games.

Your desktop PC is probably a lot faster in other areas and, by the looks of it, has a GPU while your laptop relies on the graphics card in the CPU. It's also worth noting that laptop CPUs are slower than desktop CPUs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Bitter.png Well that sucks... My desktop PC is across the United States at the moment, and my family hasn't found a good way to ship it without it getting trashed.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Intel HD Graphics
    I don't care what numbers you put after those words. That's some low end doodoo right there. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a similar card ATM. My performance is similar. In fact, I capped my FPS at 30 to make it behave better.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Update your intel drivers manually and you may see a performance boost (Starmade sometimes has issues with that).
    The game IS entirely playable on intel, as long as you tweak your settings properly, avoid bricknauts, titans and whatnot, and dont have any daft settings for the game. View distance should probably be set around 1000 or less (though I;ve not changed that setting in some time now).

What kind of resolution are you playing at? If you're running 1366x768, try 1200x720 instead.
    Have you tried and tested a new world in single player to see if theres any difference, and in doing so, teleported to a void space to see if the low framrate persists?

Lastly, Windows 10. UGH! This thing has brought me much pain in gaming - theres a loads of crap MS has crammed into it that cuts into system power - especially when gaming. Heard some issues for some people with the latest update as well. May be worth looking into your services etc and seeing if anything is "jamming" Starmade while it runs?!

EDIT: ...and have you checked SM is using the java sdk thingy for 64bit and not the inbuilt / bundled one? - always causes me issues on a fresh install if I forget!