Looking for help simiplifying a logic system

Reaction score
    Okay, what I'm trying to do is build a logic system that toggles lights/doors/guns/etc at fixed time intervals and can control as many different things as I feel like hooking into the system.

Here's my current brute force solution:

The top clock is a 4 second interval to the activator below. The left circuit from that activator limits the activator to a single pulse. The right circuit is just a string of delays used for timing, and they hook into a basic memory cell at various points along the path to toggle things on and off. I can extand that bottom line for as long as I want and hook in as many memory cells as I want, allowing me the flexibility to turn anything on and off at any point along the bottom right delay chain.

What I'm hoping is that someone can tell me how to simplify this thing as it can get pretty big pretty quick as you run more stuff into it. I'm leery of using storage-or timers as those don't always work the same time intervals on different servers. But if there's a way to deal with that as well, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So essentially you have a clock into a pulse limiter into a pulse lengthener.

Well first of all your 4 second interval is actually an 8 second clock. It's on for four seconds and off for four seconds so essentially it will trigger a pulse every 8 seconds. If that's what you were going for then that's fine. If you do want it triggered every 4 seconds you'll have to shorten the clock.

There are alternative methods for creating long delays without needing excessively long delay chains. They require a little math to build and are somewhat hard to switch between but can be tuned for specific delays and are more precise and reliable than item clocks. I'm planning on doing a practical logic tutorial on these delays but they are not very high on the to-do list. Anyway, do you know the concept of a "Dueling clock"?

You also could eliminate the entire first clock if you use your long delay as a pulse clock. Send a pulse into that and loop it back into itself at a given point. You can add delay after the loop point if need be.

Reaction score
    Thank you for the reply.

I think looping the single pulse back might actually be the best solution as it simplifies setting up timing by a lot.

And ya, I was considering using a memory cell based clock at one point. I prolly still will do it since you can use it for things like animated in-game clocks. Then we'd just need a way to keep a sector loaded into memory so the logic never stops running :P