Looking for carrier ship logic help

Reaction score
    So...hmmm...well I want to try and build a carrier for fleet mining since we can do it now, my problem is, I have no clue on how to do 2 pieces of logic I want to do on the carrier after it's done.

I can do basic logic controls (thanks Bench) but the 2 logic arrays I guess I need still escape me in learning them, even when I have a sample of them.

Logic one is a one touch logic system, using the new pickup and shoot out rails, that can launch a set of drones out of the carrier and when hit again, turns off the shoot out rails to allow the pick up points and rails to stand ready for re docking.

Logic 2, is a logic system that will auto pull the cargo from the mining drones to a cargo hold on the carrier it's self, no need for the pilot to leave the ship core.

I how of a ship that can do this already, but the ship and drones are smaller then I want to use and I'd also rather learn to do it myself rather then use someone else' work.

so longish rant aside, anyone know of any good guides/tutorials to building the logic stated above?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Here's what I've got working. The sample should be enough to give an idea of how to make a larger system with it. :)

As for how to get cargo from the smaller ships to the larger one. Just link the rails on the ship being docked to, to the storage you want to dump the cargo into, next link the rail docker on the smaller ships to the storage you want pulled from.

Attachments

Reaction score
    A slight bit to whore out my running design ,but mostly since you're within the logic inclination level I built the design. A few posts down is The Logic School Bus. It has an open display of a few logic items for reference ,but it does have 5 fleet ships attached. Both the 4 'tire' and one 'emergency' ship launches auto reset to allow 0 fuss redocking. The most accessible example is for the tire ships under the hood. Two logic sets ,but it's one for each side mirrored.
    The Logic School Bus
    If you want just the design here's the link from that post.
    https://starmadedock.net/attachments/thelogicschoolbusv1-zip.23712/
    As a side note I'm currently building a mining ship with the specs listed. It's only 30%'ish done atm & fairly ugly. I'll probly post it under shipyard or here ,but it will have 6 fleet miners on a L80,W33,H13'ish carrier. All auto cargo load and one button launch/redock.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some text explination if it helps:

Master = Block you hit C on
    Slave = Block you hit V on

Logic one is a one touch logic system, using the new pickup and shoot out rails, that can launch a set of drones out of the carrier and when hit again, turns off the shoot out rails to allow the pick up points and rails to stand ready for re docking.
    Basic rails tutorials:
    Starmade Rails - YouTube

Specifically this one:

That shows you how to change rails back and forth.

Start with an Inner Ship Remote so you can control your rails from the hotbar while flying the carrier. Slave the Flip Flop into that so that when you hit the remote, you toggle the flip flop. Have the Flip Flop go into a Not, then slave an Activator to the Flip Flop and another one to the Not. Then connect those activators to the rails like they are in the video. What you're going to want to do is have your pickup rail moving in to a standard rail block that is pointing up (so that it doesn't line up with the rest).

<==== /\ <-------

== is the launch rail
    --- is the pickup rail
    /\ is the normal rail pointing up

Use the rail toggle logic in that video to make it so that when you toggle the remote, you go from /\ to <, which will then move your docked drone onto the launch rail. Once everything has launched, hit the remote again to put the rail back to /\ so it catches the drone when it is recalled.

Sounds a little complicated, but its not that hard at all once you get the basic idea of how to control rail switching down. The toggling Flip Flop->Not just lets you flip back and forth between one set of rails and the other. In this case, the Catch rail (the one that points in a different direction than the launch and pickup rails) and the Release rail (the rail that points towards the launch rail).

Later on you can start getting fancy and use activators on the main rail lines to let you queue multiple drones onto the same pickup line, but for now this'll do.
    Logic 2, is a logic system that will auto pull the cargo from the mining drones to a cargo hold on the carrier it's self, no need for the pilot to leave the ship core.
    Ship storage block set to Auto Pull All, slaved to the docking rail. Drone storage block with auto-pull disabled slaved to the Rail Docker.

Reaction score
    Holy mother of god!!! Thank you
    Edymnion, this was exactly what I needed, and Nico and Storm, thank you both for the suggestions as well, all three of you have helped me ALOT. Thank you all so very much for the help.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Holy mother of god!!! Thank you
    Edymnion, this was exactly what I needed, and Nico and Storm, thank you both for the suggestions as well, all three of you have helped me ALOT. Thank you all so very much for the help.
    Glad to help. Make sure you go to the home page for Bench's youtube videos, he's got stuff explaining how to do all kinds of hard stuff that will help you a lot.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Since I don't want to spampost new thread and the topic also fits mine question, I'll just drop it here:
    Is there a way, other than tweaking the server config, to configure the speed at which things are shootout from the shootout rail?
    I'm trying to build a tug that would be able to auto pick up cargo containers and then drop them where needed, near a freight carrier pickup zones for example. So far I can pick up containers, but when I try to drop them, the shootout rail sends my precious cargo flying into the darkness. I made the shootout rail 1 block long and tried rail speed control module, but that seems to have no effect. I considered normal undocking, but the auto pick up instantly docks the container when it's close to tug's pick up zone. I don't want to make my tug extra long just to drop the cargo slowly. Any ideas?

EDIT: Gave up on shootout rail for now. Had to make my tug 5m longer, but it works: automated cargo pick up/drop achived with pick up zone (the blue one) + pick up rail (the green one) + standard rail and some logic, namely 2 buttons (one detects cargo on rail and activates the other, which in turn triggers rail to undock the cargo container.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Nunki : At its present state, shootout rail shoots regardless of block count, is it the last block on the rail or not, is there a speed controller or not. In some (hopefully near) future, it may become adjustable, but as of now it aint. You can call this design limitation. Good to see you've found a workaround. That's the engineer spirit! Congrats!

Reaction score
    I considered normal undocking, but the auto pick up instantly docks the container when it's close to tug's pick up zone.
    I'm assuming you used logic to un-dock your cargo container, have you tried turning the pick-up point off with logic connected to the same logic that does the un-docking?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm assuming you used logic to un-dock your cargo container, have you tried turning the pick-up point off with logic connected to the same logic that does the un-docking?
    You can turn off pick-up points with logic? I didn't know that.

Reaction score
    I'll just throw in another fleetmining-related question.

I need som sort of indicator to show when my salvagerdrones storage is full and it is time to recall them to drop off resources to the mothership.
    My first idea was some blinking red lights on the drones when they reached max capacity.
    Problem is I don't get it to work. According to starmadepedia.net the storage logic signal interaction no longer works, is this correct?

Reaction score
    I'll just throw in another fleetmining-related question.

I need som sort of indicator to show when my salvagerdrones storage is full and it is time to recall them to drop off resources to the mothership.
    My first idea was some blinking red lights on the drones when they reached max capacity.
    Problem is I don't get it to work. According to starmadepedia.net the storage logic signal interaction no longer works, is this correct?
    I have tested with the latest DEV build and unless I'm doing something completely wrong the WIKI is correct.

You can still use logic 'C'->'V' to storage to turn the pull function on and off for that storage block but can no longer link the storage to logic where the storage is the controller and the logic is the slave. It used to be the logic had to be touching the storage block for the logic to get the signal, then I thought it was changed to the 'C'->'V' mechanic. When testing I tried both and neither method worked.