Logic Bomb?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have a hangar door with blast door blocks and shield blocks, and now when I open either, the system spits a potential logic bomb alert at me. I am unfamiliar with the term and was wondering what steps I should take now?

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    TVTropes' definition of a Logic Bomb.

It's also relevant to real-world computing, too - it's High Nerdish for 'a frickin' paradox.' For instance, think about, "This statement is false!" The statement says that it's false, yet it can't be because it is what it says. It's a paradox.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    TVTropes' definition of a Logic Bomb.

It's also relevant to real-world computing, too - it's High Nerdish for 'a frickin' paradox.' For instance, think about, "This statement is false!" The statement says that it's false, yet it can't be because it is what it says. It's a paradox.

What should I do about it? Opening and closing a door shouldn't cause a paradox, and I haven't connected them to any other logic.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    The recent update added a message displayed to server admins/moderators when a large amount of logic/door/lights are toggled all at once. In this case 'Logic bomb' would be someone creating a logic contraption with the distinct purpose of slowing down the server.
    You can safely ignore that message.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The recent update added a message displayed to server admins/moderators when a large amount of logic/door/lights are toggled all at once. In this case 'Logic bomb' would be someone creating a logic contraption with the distinct purpose of slowing down the server.
    You can safely ignore that message.

Ok, thank you, sir.

That is an unfortunate revelation, however. My vessel in question has five such doors. Hopefully server lag will be compensated for in future updates.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Bah, I've got plenty of things that trigger that alert as well. To be perfectly frank it is quite draconian and if the server detects any actually troubling 'logic bombs' it will automatically freeze logic on an entity for 10 seconds or so. There is really, really, really nothing to worry about unless you're spamming doors every second.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    You can adjust the sensitivity in the server.cfg in case it is too severe for you.

Code:
    MAX_LOGIC_SIGNAL_QUEUE_PER_OBJECT = 250000 //max logic trace queue allowed
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_WARN = 10000 //warn about objects that activate more than x blocks at once
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_STOP = 50000 //stop logic of objects that activate more than x blocks at once. They will enter a logic cooldown of 10 seconds to prevent servers from overloading

Reactions: Kyoretsu
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can adjust the sensitivity in the server.cfg in case it is too severe for you.

Code:
    MAX_LOGIC_SIGNAL_QUEUE_PER_OBJECT = 250000 //max logic trace queue allowed
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_WARN = 10000 //warn about objects that activate more than x blocks at once
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_STOP = 50000 //stop logic of objects that activate more than x blocks at once. They will enter a logic cooldown of 10 seconds to prevent servers from overloading

I am not confident enough in my setting editing skills to do that, lol. I would like to edit it though, I just don't know what a reasonable number would be.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I am not confident enough in my setting editing skills to do that, lol. I would like to edit it though, I just don't know what a reasonable number would be.
    You can safely double/triple the values for:
    Code:
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_WARN = 10000
    MAX_LOGIC_ACTIVATIONS_AT_ONCE_PER_OBJECT_STOP = 50000
    A real logic bomb will set it off although you may get a few seconds more lag before the game kicks in and disables it. It doesn't make much sense to put the above values higher than this one though:
    Code:
    MAX_LOGIC_SIGNAL_QUEUE_PER_OBJECT = 250000

In singleplayer, you could put this extremely high such as a few million (same goes for MAX_LOGIC_SIGNAL_QUEUE_PER_OBJECT)
    because there would be no logic bomb in that world besides your own :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Nice, now i know exactly what is the limit of logic pulses ...

My question now is ... The logical signals, if they are used in doing something (for example turn on/off one light), and dont accumulate in a specific point, would be considered that they dont count on the "accumulate lag" against the stability of the server?

What is the maximum number of logical impulses per "second" in the same entity?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Unfortunately an entity has no way of finding out if something is accumulating or just a one time thing. If can only look at the amount of signals it has to process which might inflate due to branching.

Delayed signals don't add to that count, only when they are firing.

Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Unfortunately an entity has no way of finding out if something is accumulating or just a one time thing. If can only look at the amount of signals it has to process which might inflate due to branching.

Delayed signals don't add to that count, only when they are firing.
    thanks for the info, one question more, instant pulses count for the max signals per second? because i plan to re-do many thing i alrready finnish, and dont want to exceess that limit ( or in other words, i dont want create a logic bomb )