Lock Target Key

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It would be nice if you could select a target with the current F key, then press another key to designate a target for your weapons. Forcing your missiles to only lock onto the designated target. Forcing all the turrets set to 'follow' to auto track and fire on only that target, and causing your main weapons to fire directly at that target instead of the cross hair. Pressing the key again while a target is designated would unlock the current weapons target so you could use F key to choose another or shoot normally.

This would also make a nice solution for getting turrets to shoot at followed targets while still allowing you to navigate without your turrets shooting at people.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I kind of agree, but I think it would be a better game mechanic to lock-on by keeping the selected target within a certain cone angle of your crosshairs for a couple of seconds. That way, no button-press is needed, and you generally want to lock onto whatever is in your crosshairs anyway. Once locked, as long as the target is in that cone angle, the main weapons are automatically directed to the locked target. That way, if you turn away, your weapons can start shooting at what you aim at, such as a secondary target.

Setting turrets to aim at your target would be different, and probably needs its own button near AI activation in the structure tab.

I'd also recommend a slightly faster lock for missiles (and any other future lock-on weapon that might be developed) on targets that are already "locked".

This gives lock-on two distinct advantages: auto-aiming and faster missile lock, both of which can make a huge difference in a battle.

Optional idea: would an AI pilot get automatic 100% aim if it locks on, similar to a human pilot? Or excluded from the auto-aim rule? Similarly, would they get a missile lock-on bonus? These bonuses could be game-breaking if applied to AI. Pirates would get frustratingly hard for new players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Ive never seen a player with 100% aim on a moving target. A still target even an AI could hit 100% of the time, just not directly on the core.

My main focus with this idea are two things. Separating targets in a way that you can pick a single target out of a tight group for a missile lock, and giving large ships a way to really manage their guns against smaller ships without lumping on a lot of turrets set to 'auto'. Setting turrets to 'follow' is a bit buggy at best. Sometimes it fires at things you don't want it to, sometimes it doesn't fire at things. And why should we need turrets in the first place when most guns have about 70 degree arc of fire? The problem with using the arc is that aiming at the target turns your ship also. This solution solves that in you will still need to turn your ship some what, but it only enough to bring the target into your weapons arc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't like the idea of auto aiming main weapons. Turrets are for that anyway. I do however think that only the ship that is targeted should get locked onto.it's really infuriating when I'm trying to lock onto target X and target X he is by t u v w y & Z, and it locks on to all of those instead.it takes a lot longer to lock on to something, and there is a chance you will lock on to something that shouldn't be locked onto.