Loading Ramp help?

Zylofan

Dirty Rper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am trying to craft a loading ramp for my ship, I want it to be flush with the exterior or the ship then rotate down to create a ramp for people to walk on.

Like this:

But no matter what I seem to do this design only works if I leave a gaping hole in my ship since the door needs to not be touching anything so it can rotate.

Anyone know of solutions to get around this?

Stike7g5

Mandalorian Shipwright
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Have you tried using basic rails to adjust the location of the ramp. Maybe having one or two basic rails to adjust the location of the ramp in closed position.

Traditionally I use well placed wedges, Not to sound like a promotional ad or anything but I recommend taking a look at my D-5 Mantis Patrol Craft. It uses a ramp based door that may be useful to you

Last edited:

Zylofan

Dirty Rper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks Strike your ship is helpful, though in its design the ship core is visible, im trying to hide mine, but Im starting to think that I cant both do that and have a hole-less ship.

Oh well, say la vi.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You can use some angled door blocks that disappear while the ramp is moving in most designs. This way you don't have to translate your ramp at all. =)

Also, you can rotate this red block but not this yellow one as the red one perfectly fits (Grey is supposed to represent air, but 1/2 and 1/4 slabs also work.):

■■ ███
    ■■
    ■■ ███

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Instead of trying to make the door fit inside the edges of a tube, make it so the door is capping the end of the tube.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The Tutorial Video at this resource by Drakkart is superb. He goes into deep detail on how to make a rotating, well-integrated rear hatch on a small ship, which you should be able to use for your design, scaling up as necessary, starting at about minute 8 of the video. I highly, highly recommend watching it a few times. The key to making it work is that the last row of blocks on the static floor adjacent to the ramp rotor are up-swept wedges, to allow rotation of the door. He hides the door rotor (and anything else he doesn't want seen) in the walls next to the door, so the walls can't be thin. So you'll probably need 4-m thick walls to properly hide the machinery, core, and faction block.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Blocks on a moving entity can be completely flush. The trick is: you cant place a block that contacts another entity but you can add the flush-mount block to the door before assembly. Once each of the entities is complete you can dock the door even if it makes face-contact with the ship.

Zylofan

Dirty Rper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The Tutorial Video at this resource by Drakkart is superb. He goes into deep detail on how to make a rotating, well-integrated rear hatch on a small ship, which you should be able to use for your design, scaling up as necessary, starting at about minute 8 of the video. I highly, highly recommend watching it a few times. The key to making it work is that the last row of blocks on the static floor adjacent to the ramp rotor are up-swept wedges, to allow rotation of the door. He hides the door rotor (and anything else he doesn't want seen) in the walls next to the door, so the walls can't be thin. So you'll probably need 4-m thick walls to properly hide the machinery, core, and faction block.
    Thanks for the link to this video, this is exactly what I was trying to do with my ship and with its help I got the exact kind of loading ramp I was hoping to make.

Reactions: jayman38