[Linux] Log Spamming: "Bad File Descriptor" exception

Reaction score
    Description:

StarMade is spamming the log files with a "Bad File Descriptor" exception. This is happening so fast that roughly one new log file per second is created (resulting in 22 unnecessary file operations per second).

This has a really negative impact on Game performance and presumable also on Disk lifespan.

Affected:

It seems that Linux is the only Platform affected (1, 2). This is happening since StarMade 0.14 (not fixed in 0.1401).

$ uname -a
    Linux kenobi 3.13.6-200.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 7 17:02:28 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_51"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (fedora-2.4.5.1.fc20-x86_64 u51-b31)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start StarMade via the Launcher.
    2. Select Single Player (seems to happen on MP, too, though).
    3. Click OK.
    4. -> StarMade will spam the log until exited.

Reaction score
    StarMade 0.1401_20140323_003100 launcher version 9

At 1024x768 resolution and low settings everywhere else, the game managed to produce 83.3 meg in log files in 20-25 seconds from the time I started the server on my Linux box (running Linux mint 16 64bit, 4gig memory, AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640). Win8 doesn\'t seem afflicted, but it has caused 2 overheating shutdowns on 2 different play sessions. Resolution is also 1024x768.

Is there a work around to pipe the log output to /dev/null for local play, a config edit, or something? Would love to be playing this on my Linux box since it doesn\'t seem to try and overheat, but only suffers from lag... hopefully just from all the excessive disk writing?

Sahji

Reaction score
    I found no way to utilize /dev/null for that purpose. :/

Also, restricting StarMade from creating or modifying will cause it to hang during startup. However, I do currently have a ramfs mounted in the logs directory. At least my hard drive can rest now. :D

Regarding lag: It seems to me that currently every platform is affected. If you have shadows enabled, disabling them will bring an incredible performance boost. You will still get this server-lag message, though.

Reaction score
    Shadows are already off. The only thing I have on is procedural background. I have turned that off as well and tried again. mouse seemed to move better for the first couple of seconds, but became bogged down again. Still produces the log files of course. I delete and let them populate as the game starts. Once they get to 80 meg, for me just standing around without even a ship, I shut it down. Would love to be playing this on this box, but I guess I\'ll just have to be patient. The game is awesome. I can wait a while. I always have my win8 box to play on. just have to keep an ear open for my fans reving up.
    Thanks for the help though, anymore ideas... I\'m game if you come accross anything later on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t know if you\'re starting it from a window manager or from a terminal, but try starting from a terminal if you aren\'t—the error appears to occur when there\'s no tty for console output (as there is when running a server through screen or the client from the command line).

Running Linux Mint 16 with OpenJDK 7, I don\'t get the log spam when I start from the terminal.

Reaction score
    I switched to a free tty and started the launcher from there, still getting spammed.

However, if I start the server first (via the provided shell script) and then connect to it, everything works fine. So I guess you\'re still right and the problem lies with how the launcher starts the server.

Reaction score
    Using the shell script did the trick!
    I still have mouse lag, but reducing the view distance helps some.
    the best thing is no more log spamming.
    Thanks again!!