Like Generators, oops i mean The Drug-Forum, an observation of the new forums

Reaction score
    does anyone else think that this new system is making the forums super addictive? its like mark zuckerburg and notch got together to make a robot called schema hell bent on stealing all of our free time. its like facebook, only people give you likes for things other than baby pictures and doctor who references.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You know, most forums have a like system like (pun not intended) we have right now. Sometimes it's just called rep instead :P

I do agree that it makes forums super addictive though, and more fun :D

Reactions: z1967 and caelum19
    Reaction score
    You know, most forums have a like system like (pun not intended) we have right now. Sometimes it's just called rep instead :p

I do agree that it makes forums super addictive though, and more fun :D
    Yep, default XenForo traits.

I'm pretty sure there's a XenForo addon which adds other feedback buttons (eg. Agree, Like, Disagree, Funny) which would be cool to have.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Oh, you should change the title btw. "like generators" where people post random stuff and others like it always get locked with the author getting a warning or ban. Not saying that this thread is one but the title is misleading.

Reactions: caelum19

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, please change the title to "The Drug-Forum" :D

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Compared to other forums the amount of likes being handed out here is pretty underwhelming. fire219

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Moraligus

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Compared to other forums the amount of likes being handed out here is pretty underwhelming. fire219
    I agree, just trying to address concerns the best I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    this isn't that extreme actually. it's only the newer forum-ers who are ogling the new features that a lot of the members have experienced before. i mean it's not hard to get rep on a forum, and i think most people who are on a forum actively for a year or more will get a good amount of +rep/likes and custom member titles unlocked. (been there, done that)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I was always on the old forums a lot even if I wasn't posting or even playing starmade currently. Now I find myself just refreshing the page more than I should just itching for an alert.

Reaction score
    I was always on the old forums a lot even if I wasn't posting or even playing starmade currently. Now I find myself just refreshing the page more than I should just itching for an alert.
    i definitely agree i loved the starmade community always. hopefully this Skinner box wont consume us

Reaction score
    i definitely agree i loved the starmade community always. hopefully this Skinner box wont consume us
    Alerts, posts, highlights—the Dark Side of the forums¹ are they. Easily the flow. Quick to join you in a like. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will!

¹ It's pretty dark in here, isn't it?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I usually want to give likes when I see good posts.

1. But sometimes I forget...
    2. Sometimes I like one part but not the other. If I would give a like, peoples may get it wrong and think I like both parts. So I have to like one part with a post, not the like feature.

Finally, the more likes you give, the less is one of your likes worth.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I usually want to give likes when I see good posts.

1. But sometimes I forget...
    2. Sometimes I like one part but not the other. If I would give a like, peoples may get it wrong and think I like both parts. So I have to like one part with a post, not the like feature.

Finally, the more likes you give, the less is one of your likes worth.
    I agree with that last part, but I believe that there is an issue with that, and that is in a stagnation of sorts in 'likes.' I tend not to use the like as an agree or the actual statement of 'I like this,' but more as an 'I would like to see more of this.'