Lighting State Changes and Draw Distance

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you build large ships, you have probably noticed this problem already, but I can't find any forum posts about it and I figured it would be a major QoL fix.

Right now, when there's a lot going on, lights that are a certain distance away, around 40-50 meters, do not display any visual changes when switched on or off. They will appear as if they are in the same state you last saw them in until you get close enough for the changes to process.

Is this intentional to cut down on lag?

It's awfully annoying and makes certain things that appear amazing up close look like a jumbled mess from afar.

schema pls fix

Reaction score
    jstenholt said:
    Right now, when there's a lot going on, lights that are a certain distance away, around 40-50 meters, do not display any visual changes when switched on or off. They will appear as if they are in the same state you last saw them in until you get close enough for the changes to process.
    Can't say whether that's a bug or not, but I can say that it operates from your Camera position, so moving around in Build mode can cause it just the same as if you were actually floating around it.

Oh, and Logic-clocks (the simple kind) often go screwy in a similar manner, but those actually do rely on your physical body, the build-mode camera doesn't affect them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Is that on servers, and looking at other people's ships? Because I recall this being an issue a long time ago, but last time I checked it worked fine...

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe it's just me, but when the block count is really up there, the changes in light don't register consistently.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Lower your ray tracing steps for lighting to get the changes to lights to update faster, only tip I have for you.