Legit Full Starmade Account under 13?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm trying to make a legit/paid/honest StarMade account for my son. Problem is I can't find a way to get an "Upgrade Token" independent of Steam. And Steam won't let anyone under 13 make a Steam account. My son is 11...

...I understand everyone's first reaction is to lie to Steam, but is it possible to do the right thing here? I know he and I can play together on a private server etc. But I'd love to pay the StarMade team for the work they've done and not have to teach my son to be dishonest. "...Take my money!"?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Seriously, lie. Its a database not your granny.

Playtime with family is more important that an age restriction. My son whose 11 plays has been playing Borderlands 2 for a few years with me now. That horse has bolted.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Buy it outside of steam.

http://star-made.org/buy

And once he hits thirteen, you should be able to create an account, and add the code you got from the above link into Steam, and make it a steam game.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1444698746,1444698608][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Seriously, lie. Its a database not your granny.

Playtime with family is more important that an age restriction. My son whose 11 plays has been playing Borderlands 2 for a few years with me now. That horse has bolted.
    You shouldn't encourage people to do that. Technically it's a violation of the terms of service. If Valve were to decide to enforce the rules, you can lose access to your account. Any money you've spent on it is wasted. And, they will not reverse their decision either.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You shouldn't encourage people to do that. Technically it's a violation of the terms of service. If Valve were to decide to enforce the rules, you can lose access to your account. Any money you've spent on it is wasted. And, they will not reverse their decision either.
    \

Yes, but does that honestly ever happen?

Regardless, yeah, buy it outside of Steam; I generally recommend this whether you have other issues or not. This site has a Download/Buy button independent of Steam.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    \

Yes, but does that honestly ever happen?

Regardless, yeah, buy it outside of Steam; I generally recommend this whether you have other issues or not. This site has a Download/Buy button independent of Steam.
    Yes, it does happen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How is Valve supposed to know your real age?

But in answer to the OP, yes, you can download it off of Steam. Have fun!
    http://star-made.org/buy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oh, I don't know, maybe your father goes online asking places where he can set up a Steam account for his underage (to Steam anyways) son?
    Touché. But Valve can't even be bothered to clean up greenlight, so I doubt it's an issue anyways.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Touché. But Valve can't even be bothered to clean up greenlight, so I doubt it's an issue anyways.
    Eeh, I'd rather err on the side of abundant caution. Especially since he can get it without needing Steam. :P But yeah, Valve has some cleaning to do.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, it does happen.
    Really? And will they really go hunting through the official, non-Steam forums of a minor indie Early Access game trying to find evidence just to delete some kid's account? I doubt that, unless other problems arise first.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Really? And will they really go hunting through the official, non-Steam forums of a minor indie Early Access game trying to find evidence just to delete some kid's account? I doubt that, unless other problems arise first.
    You do realize that there are people out there who bring such posts to Valve's attention right? That Valve does attempt to weed out fraudulent accounts where possible.

Sure, they'd probably not find that one account out of millions. But it's still not a good idea to encourage people to break terms of service. Why risk losing an account over that?

Especially, as I said, it's possible to get the full game without needing steam.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    You do realize that there are people out there who bring such posts to Valve's attention right? That Valve does attempt to weed out fraudulent accounts where possible.

Sure, they'd probably not find that one account out of millions. But it's still not a good idea to encourage people to break terms of service. Why risk losing an account over that?

Especially, as I said, it's possible to get the full game without needing steam.
    of course without viable information like say the 11 year olds account name all they would be doing is grasping at straws lol no way to prove that new account xxximnotreallyan11yearoldxxx is actually Tar's 11 year old son.

Reaction score
    I have lied many times. However if there is an alternative to not lying, you aught to do that. You can simply do what Gasboy said.

When my little brother was 10 he said that he was over 18 on his ps3 account. Once when he had to do a refund over the playstation network, he got banned, as sony saw that he had been playing black ops 2 on his account.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    of course without viable information like say the 11 year olds account name all they would be doing is grasping at straws lol no way to prove that new account xxximnotreallyan11yearoldxxx is actually Tar's 11 year old son.
    Sure. How many 11yo have credit cards?

It is possible, if one really wants to, to get a reasonable guess as to a person's age.

Again, all Valve needs is some proof. They don't need to provide that proof to you, they just need something to hold up in court, should it get that far.

Again, y'all are beating a dead horse. I ain't changing my mind about what I've said.

You want to take the risk, that's your business. But you should not encourage other people to do so. Valve can and does so on a daily basis close accounts for violating the terms of service. Lying about your age is violating the ToS, and they can close your account without warning or explanation.

It's also a stupid idea to post that you're willing to break ToS on a game company's forum.

Think Schine wants people to break ToS? Think they want to hear people saying they're willing to do so?

Status
    Not open for further replies.