Read by Council Language Translating

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by minermaniac447, Sep 6, 2015.

1. minermaniac447

So I had this idea while playing on a server where i'm in a mostly-polish faction (i'm american) that you should add an option to translate all the frequently-used languages (spanish, french, polish, german, english, etc.) into whatever home language that you select.

it might take a while but i'm sure that using some google translate plugin you could pull it off and it'd be rly useful.

EDIT:
      I just realised that i never clarified this. What I meant is that it'd be togglable from in-game using some unused key like Numpad + or something.

#1 minermaniac447, Sep 6, 2015
      Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    2. Lecic

Lecic Convicted Lancake Abuser

Translations of ingame text would be nice. To save time for the devs, they could possibly have it community maintained.

3. Megacrafter127

I think he's talking about translations of chat messages too? Or am I misinterpreting?

4. StormWing0

StormWing0 Leads the Storm

Could just find a way to string google translate into the game's chat and hope it gets it right. XD

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Valiant70

Valiant70 That crazy cyborg

There are a lot of phone games that do this.

6. minermaniac447

Yes, this is what I meant. Glad someone understands it :D

That's kinda what I was thinking, and it shouldn't be too hard for them.

Exactly! They should do the same thing for this game!

7. Megacrafter127

Thanks for confirming this.
      However, I am opposed to this as standard. If it is a free mod/plugin/DLC, I have no problem though.
      I'd also be ok with this, if the entire feature could be disabled with a config setting.
      As to why this is: I have a grudge against every major company in the field of online-services and software.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. CyberTao

CyberTao 鬼佬

I am "meh" because honestly, translators are bad at their jobs, and tend to fail when improper English is used, eh?

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. minermaniac447

So what I was kinda thinking which I didn't really clarify (Sorry :P) is it'd be a togglable option from within the game, using some unused key like the Numpad + or something.

As I just said, it'd be togglable from within the game.

10. Megacrafter127

The numpad + should currently be used to open the 'options' dialog, unless you are writing something in a text-field.

11. Valck

Absolutely. Only it wouldn't help to just have a local option to disable this if others in the same channel use it. I don't want Big G to watch, analyse, digest, and translate any conversation of mine, however insignificant the content may appear to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. minermaniac447

Ok, I didn't know that ( :p ) but I specifically said 'or some key like that.' I meant that as an example.

Ok, so what I meant is that it'd be a togglable option from ingame whether chat messages could be translated, but maybe a better idea would be that if you enable it then your messages can be auto-translated. Also, why would you care if it was translated? If you didn't want them to read it just pm it to whoever you wanted to read it. That clear things up for ya?

13. Valck

I care about the mindless, boundless collection of data by corporations for purposes I don't even dare to dream of.
      Every piece of dirt you give to abc.xyz ends up being processed, analyzed, and used beyond the mere translation that shows up on the surface. I don't want G* to know when I said what to whom and where, period.

It's one thing if that is only available to the comparatively small, immediate circle of people in the chat at that time, it's another thing if the largest multinationals on the planet profile every aspect of my life, and I think everyone needs to be aware of that, even if they don't give a shit about their private information.

Wait, got to go, doorbell is rin...

14. minermaniac447

Ok, look if they really wanted to, they could just develop their own. But I thought that they might want to use google translate or something like that as a plugin b/c it'd make it easier to develop. If they didn't do that, they'd have to design their own to do this one little job, and it'd take them YEARS (prob) to develop, time which they should be spending on developing more features.

If you can think of another translate thing that's got a built in plugin, then I'm open to suggestions to suggest. (Yes, I did just say that.)

15. Valck

Luckily, it was only the postman. Wait what, at half eight in the evening?

I think it is obvious that Schine doesn't have the capacity to develop an in-house machine translation software, as that, like you say, would be a massive undertaking.
      However, there seem to be a few open-source, open-licence (among a host of closed-source, of course) projects.
      I have no idea regarding their capabilities, but all in all it seems to me that a local, non-networked plugin on the user's machine would be preferable to a web-based solution anyway, considering latency and network service availability, privacy issues aside.

#15 Valck, Sep 7, 2015
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. minermaniac447

Fine with me :P

17. minermaniac447

Is this topic dead? when is it gonna get looked at?

18. CyberTao

CyberTao 鬼佬

Well, Mega responded, so one can assume it was looked at. People are just lazy with tagging is all I would guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. minermaniac447

yea but he didn't say yes or no to it so i'm confused :P

20. AssIn9

Hi, I just wanted to necro this thread as it is important! And Pictures of a game with translations.
      [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]