Landing Gear/ Repulsors

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Unlike the other guy who suggests practically teleporting your whole ship to the surface i suggest a logic to where you can land you ship on the surface of a planet manually, with landing gear or repulsors to keep your ship from sitting on its belly. I know a repulsor may be more of a frame hit or something of that sort but for those players who think it will be neater for your ships to sit off the ground in something like a hover mode. But with a landing gear block you can actually control it through your action bar with a computer or something to control door blocks, not meaning you have to climb out of your ship and hit r on the landing gear to get it to appear or dis-appear.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That sounds good to me, being able to manually latch onto something. Perhaps it could also have uses boarding-wise, 'landing'/hooking a small vessel to a larger one by sneaking up on them (which is very difficulty obviously). I would prefer for it not to use up an action bar slot, but rather be connected to some sort of hot key while you are in flight mode. E.g. L for Land, or something along that line.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Repulsors should not only push other ships away, but your ship in oppsite direction too.
    It is impossible to use it currently.

Also I think you need repulsors which get exponentially (or at least linearly) weaker with distance or it will be a real pain to keep your altitude.

Activation-block triggered repulsor beams (example) are more for hopping on a land scape - or jumping into space like a hyperactive rabbit, not for constant force.

Please tell me how if you got around these issues.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Repulsors should not only push other ships away, but your ship in oppsite direction too.
    It is impossible to use it currently.

Also I think you need repulsors which get exponentially (or at least linearly) weaker with distance or it will be a real pain to keep your altitude.

Activation-block triggered repulsor beams (example) are more for hopping on a land scape - or jumping into space like a hyperactive rabbit, not for constant force.

Please tell me how if you got around these issues.
    well this was meant as a recommendation post and I personally don't have the skill or ability to script such things, but when I said repuslor's I meant something like a magnetic force that makes the ship hover off the ground say 4-5 blocks or more depending on your preferences. But if I can learn how to script such things I will do so with pride.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't think we can add it.

Schema can by causing an additional push/pull impact on your weapon output with -force.x, -force.y, -force.z.
    It would be not a big change - the most difficult part would be to get the weapon causing a second impact on a fixed position on your ship as well.

A partial solution to the hopping issue could be area triggers.

But I recently noticed that you can't trigger push/pull effects like you can trigger weapons (latest official version).
    Neither you can use thrusters with logic.

Last edited:

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well with repulsion, i was considering more of like a hover field that's like a invisible cushion your ship would rest on so many blocks high off the surface. But again with gear it can be a set length that can be stabilized and less of a hit on computer speed and frames possible.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The landing gear sounds like a good idea. Especially after what happened to me today, my ship was bouncing all over the place on an alien planet.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There a few things that would make it easier:

First: anti-gravity - decrease gravity in %.
    The decrease % should not grow linearly to encourage having everybody a few anti-gravity blocks but only very few full immunity.
    => It would give you and logic blocks more time to react.

BTW (partially offtopic) I would also like a configurable gravity radius to make battles with gravity influence more fun (planets, suns with gravity, black holes). It could be used to alter the importance of anti-gravity effects.

Secondly: area triggers should be on if something is inside their area and off is nothing is inside (instead of toggling on/off if something enters the area, but not if something leaves it)
    That would allow logic to detect your altitude and orientation compared to the ground level quicker and more reliable.

Thirdly: Either a vertical take-off which applies force based of centre of mass vs centre of module array (or vs cpu position) or push/pull which affects yourself in the opposite direction.

If at least #2 and #3 happen, remind me to build a hover-control :)

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There a few things that would make it easier:

First: anti-gravity - decrease gravity in %.
    The decrease % should not grow linearly to encourage having everybody a few anti-gravity blocks but only very few full immunity.
    => It would give you and logic blocks more time to react.

BTW (partially offtopic) I would also like a configurable gravity radius to make battles with gravity influence more fun (planets, suns with gravity, black holes). It could be used to alter the importance of anti-gravity effects.

Secondly: area triggers should be on if something is inside their area and off is nothing is inside (instead of toggling on/off if something enters the area, but not if something leaves it)
    That would allow logic to detect your altitude and orientation compared to the ground level quicker and more reliable.

Thirdly: Either a vertical take-off which applies force based of centre of mass vs centre of module array (or vs cpu position) or push/pull which affects yourself in the opposite direction.

If at least #2 and #3 happen, remind me to build a hover-control :)
    I can see what you are saying, but I dunno if you get the guist of what im supposing
    http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080316031428/starwars/images/5/54/X34-landspeeder.jpg
    that image shows lukes landspeeder in episode of Star Wars but it also shows the repulsor field i was talking about a cushion the craft literally comes to rest upon

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That can be solved if you know the distance of ship<->ground at 3 positions and can apply force smooth enough (should be no problem if area-trigger detection reacts fast enough to trigger your circuit + you use cannon-cannon for a smooth force-application (low reload) ),

Of-course an engine-side solution would be better, but I guess you may not find enough flat land anyway :)
    More desirable is about 3-5 blocks distance to the ground.

Reaction score
    Isn't this what the stop effects secondary effect is for? It works well enough for my 600+ meter battleship.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    that is the intention, but it also slows you down (100% linear dampening if you have enough effect :)

Reaction score
    Ah. My server doesn't use linear dampening, so I never noticed any slowdown.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am used to have just a little locally.
    But I need to test new defaults ;)

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This isnt a server chat purely a suggestion post!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I haven't been fortunate enough to actually have tested a working defensive stop effect.
    Pirates don't like that setting. They skid around, and go everywhere but near you. I had a pirate raid coming my way once, I ran back to my planet waiting to hide, and I noticed that they kept on going. The next raid I came so close to a pirate ship that I could see it, but it was to busy going the wrong way and turning like crazy to fire at me. Look really funny, but it also means that there is a new mentality now: go away from wherever you are, do some weird turns, and watch the pirates fly by.