Kinetic gun/mass accelerator

Reaction score
    Yes, we already have AMC "cannons", but they don't act like real ballistic weapons... they're just slow partical cannons. What I want is a real mass accelerator that sends hunks of metal plowing into another ship. Unlike AMCs, they could penetrate into the hull, sometimes bounce/reflect off shields, and send other ships flying while producing some serious recoil of thier own. The projectiles could even be affected by gravity, making planetside wars more interesting once vehicles are implemented.

They also fit the upcoming modifier system! As a modifier, the railgun would add a "kinetic" attribute... AMCs could pentrate hulls or shields to some extent (at the cost of sometimes bouncing off shields, maybe adding recoil), or maybe have some shield penetration modifier based on the strength of the shields. Ordinary missiles would turn into lightly guided high speed "bunker buster" missles that bury into hull and do damage with pure kinetic energy. "Mass" beams / force lasers would push other ships away with recoil of thier own, pulsars/repulsors would focus on force over damage, and mines would send ships flying, with a slight chance of knocking turrets off thier docks (depending on thier mass).

The modified kinetic rounds would be interesting as well. AMC = machine gun, missile = shrapnel gun, beam = highspeed/lowAOF, pulsar = slow/strong/highAOF with a long reload, mine = explodes inside the target, and mass driver = high force rounds with alot of recoil.

EDIT: I can't resize the image for some reason... I even resized it on imgr, but the server has it cached.

Also, hulls do need a little buff for this to work well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Finally, a weapon idea that ADDS ON to the upcoming weapon system. I was thinking \"Oh dear, another PEWPEWPEW thread\", but this seems vaguely thought out.

Reaction score
    Yes, this could actually fit in and add some interesting combat elements!

The names do need some work though... Maybe \"Repulsor Beam\" for the laser, just \"Repulsor\" for the pulse.

Also, hulls are a bit unbalanced atm. On large ships, sizable AMC Arrays have no problem \"coring\" ridiculously well armored ships a matter of seconds... something really needs to be done about that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Everything but the Mass-Driver part is already planned for release in the next few updates, all the names are final (As per Calbiri)

Reaction score
    I know, but it wouldn\'t be hard to add in a later update. It isn\'t an overhaul, it\'s just adding a new weapon and modifier to the existing system.

EDIT: The force/recoil part would probably require integration with the physics engine... Otherwise these are very similar to AMCs. That shouldn\'t be too much work.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think the idea was that he was showing how it could be integrated into the system

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    True. I do like the idea, maybe if the recoil is to strong for the ship the ship can start taking damage.

Reaction score
    The names are merely placeholders for the players to comprehend what the combo is. I have no intention of naming each master/slave combination in the game, that will be up to the player based on what they desire to call the weapon on their particular ship, so enjoy!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the idea of using otherwise useless stuff as ammo.

AMC should not have too much recoil. Their main damage part is anti-matter, not the kinetic force upon impact.

I think we should differentiate with names between charge based projectiles (balistic) and inertia based projectiles (only primitive ones (use a lot of mass for ammo) are balistic).