Kilometers per Second

Reaction score
    The minimum speed for orbiting earth is about 28200 kilometers per hour. That equates to about 7.8 kilometers per second. In StarMade, I am able to fly past a planet in like 5 seconds at 50 kilometers per hour. That puts the average planet in StarMade at about 4 km diameter. The smallest planet in the Solar System is Mercury, which is about 5000 km diameter.

I assume the reason for this crime against physics is the size of the player, and I realize that it's just a game and it doesn't have to reflect reality very closely... but come on. Those numbers are just awful.

Simply changing the units of speed from k/h to k/s will make the game-universe feel much bigger, and it will make interplanetary flight somewhat more exciting IMHO. You don't even have to change the size of the player; after all it's just a game, etc.. I think it's much easier to assume that the player and his ship is misproportioned than that the universe is misproportioned.

P.S. This is a really awesome game :) Great job to the dev team!
    Thanks for reading.
    Zac Slade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would prefer the units be in meters/second. Far more useful when we have to manuver at close ranges.

Reaction score
    That means that either the units would have to change as you gained speed (resulting in some really crazy scaling, based on the way the environment is now), or the planets would be about 50 meters wide. Could you imagine if earth was smaller than a football field? It isn't even big enough to be called an asteroid.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That means that either the units would have to change as you gained speed (resulting in some really crazy scaling, based on the way the environment is now), or the planets would be about 50 meters wide. Could you imagine if earth was smaller than a football field? It isn't even big enough to be called an asteroid.
    "units would have to change as you gained speed"

WHUT What is that suppose to mean I don't even just WHUT

anyway, the planets are about 400m across. Yes, the planets are really small. That is something that should change. However, it makes more sense for there to be tiny planets, asteroids, and solar systems than for a the character to be about the size of a mountain. It makes no sense. Meter-sized cubes is accurate and intuitive to the human scale.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think we should stay with the units which correspond to actual distances in game. Simply because otherwise, it would create confusion and it isn't needed as it actually won't add the immersion of great speeds.

btw

I am able to fly past a planet in like 5 seconds at 50 kilometers per hour. That puts the average planet in StarMade at about 4 km diameter.

50km/h ~ 13,9 m/s

5 s * 13,9 m/s = 69,5 m

Reactions: z1967

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Bad math...

Currently, the only issue with planets is, that I can't fly -for example- through a canyon. To make a canyon not feel detail-baring, it needs to be bigger than a planet.
    This size is also required for detailed ships to fly through a gap.

I miss less the realistic proportions than the feel of awesome that all the details create.

Although it would be nice if capitals not ram into each other before getting into firing range of a fighter at the position of one capital.

Reaction score
    I think we should stay with the units which correspond to actual distances in game. Simply because otherwise, it would create confusion and it isn't needed as it actually won't add the immersion of great speeds.
    Ok. I see your point... What about this:

Make the planets and stations farther apart, make the scope of the navigation system wider, and then add a jump-speed and jump drive to bridge the gap.

That's gonna be way more complicated to implement than my original suggestion. Can you think of a good way to fix the scale of the game?

50km/h ~ 13,9 m/s

5 s * 13,9 m/s = 69,5 m
    Awww man. You caught me. :oops:

Reaction score
    I dont care about the units the speed is showed in, but how about less, but bigger planets? My Base is eating up the Planet im on an i still have ideas for new buildings XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I dont care about the units the speed is showed in, but how about less, but bigger planets? My Base is eating up the Planet im on an i still have ideas for new buildings XD
    Agreed.

Reaction score
    Second.

Although, I want to add, if they're going to make the planets bigger, I think they should also make them farther apart.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    However, it makes more sense for there to be tiny planets, asteroids, and solar systems than for a the character to be about the size of a mountain.
    LOL I was thinking about this the other day and Just assumed that our players were a race of space giants ! Now you tell me my character has only found tiny solar systems.... I like my Mountain sized space man !

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    If it happens it'll be a LONG TIME AWAY.

The current planets are already a lag fest. Imagine if they were bigger? That'd completely destroy at least half the community's chances of playing the game until enough performance improvements were added, and those take a long time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If it happens it'll be a LONG TIME AWAY.

The current planets are already a lag fest. Imagine if they were bigger? That'd completely destroy at least half the community's chances of playing the game until enough performance improvements were added, and those take a long time.
    No, it would actually be unaffected, there would be less...

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    No, it would actually be unaffected, there would be less...
    I'm making an attempt at understanding what you're referring to here.
    I'm failing miserably.

Do you mean there would be less performance updates? I could see that because of, say, schema ragequitting because of community demanding conflicting ideas. Or are you thinking of something else that I cannot decipher?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As to the speeds you travel, I was told that they are incorrect and are actually m/s - 3- cause if you read your speeds like that, they make a hell of a lot more sense.

And there was plans to make Planets Bigger, and have less per Solar system, But I dunno how well that relates to the new Planets (which have more surface area over all). Station Spawn should become Tweakable once we get LUA scripting and the ability for Custom Stations.

Another suggestion I read once upon a time on the old site -> Increase the distance between solar systems (Once FTL/warp gates are added).

Also Vyor The would be more Lag if you were to increase the size of the Planets, because doubling the diameter more then doubles the blocks, which would be fine since only the top 2 layers are rendered (I think?), IF there were no Caves or caverns in the planet (which I think there would be).

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Arkudo

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I vote for (float)x(=1..2) *2^(int)y m/s - displayed as "1.5 *2^ 22 :p

I would read it easily as 1.5*2^2 + 2* 3 zeroes = 6'000'000 = 6 Mm/s

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    As to the speeds you travel, I was told that they are incorrect and are actually m/s - 3- cause if you read your speeds like that, they make a hell of a lot more sense.

And there was plans to make Planets Bigger, and have less per Solar system, But I dunno how well that relates to the new Planets (which have more surface area over all). Station Spawn should become Tweakable once we get LUA scripting and the ability for Custom Stations.

Another suggestion I read once upon a time on the old site -> Increase the distance between solar systems (Once FTL/warp gates are added).

Also Vyor The would be more Lag if you were to increase the size of the Planets, because doubling the diameter more then doubles the blocks, which would be fine since only the top 2 layers are rendered (I think?), IF there were no Caves or caverns in the planet (which I think there would be).
    Unless there are only 1/6 the planets.

Last edited by a moderator: