Kill a ship or just maul it?

Reaction score
    I hate it when I have a damaged ship I can't bring myself to write it off. Repairing is a pain in the butt, recycling it isn't much better. If I lose a ship off I go and get a new one.

When you want to inflict pain upon an opponent bearing the above in mind do you kill their ship or just maul it and leave them with something to do for hours?

Reaction score
    Personally I prefer to rip the cockpit/bridge off a ship, remove it's ability to retaliate any time soon then give it a good push and leave it to drift. If the owner ever finds it again, they'll either spend hours rebuilding their precious ship or shed a tear over destroying it and buying a new one!

Nothing like making them suffer :)

Reaction score
    Leave the core to overheat and then mine it like there's no tomorrow. :)

Edit; If there's nothing left, then its the worst. They lose everything :)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Leave the core to overheat and then mine it like there's no tomorrow. :)

Edit; If there's nothing left, then its the worst. They lose everything :)
    They can just buy a new one, but it feels like a waste if the ship is still remotely capable of functioning.

Personally, I kill and mine because I'm not enough of a jerk to make people suffer. Of course, if they do something to deserve it, I'll happily bombard them with dozens of weak missiles for high internal damage and minimal hull damage. That way they'll spend time with astrotech beams or block replacement and possibly not notice that they're missing a lot of their ship's stats until next time they get in a fight.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1 Azereiah :D

But it feels like waste to not mine precious components (energy, thrust, shield, etc)...

The biggest pain is to fix every single power and thruster strip and repair interior you didn't even build yourself.
    I salvage these ships.

It also reduces disk space wastage on the server :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Winterhome

Reaction score
    There's even more pain if the ship was designed in a horribly convoluted manner like most of my earlier stuff.

Throwaway ships with extreme efficiency are difficult to fix - things like winding power rods, oddly placed thrusters, etc. Hence being throwaway. You want an easy ship to fix, you get a brick with nothing but straight line/checkerboard power, easy to identify shield and storage blocks, etc.

Reaction score
    Seize the ship and hold it for a profitable ransom (in credits or components, whatever you wish) at your base or some secret location, proudly mounted on display as a trophy until the bounty is paid in full! Arrr and avast and all that! ^_^

Reaction score
    I core drilled it and then towed it back to my station where I salvaged or refitted it. Unless it was server laggingly big. Then I just destroy those and run some salvage beams over the valuable looking parts.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I only play PVE but I love to blow the crap out of ships and leave them adrift in graveyards.

After I was walking through the wreck of a ship I just destroyed I thought it would be a cool experience to have to live with a ship through thick and thin. Kind of like a co-op mini game where you can only do minor repairs as the ship takes more and more damage.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Kind of like a co-op mini game where you can only do minor repairs as the ship takes more and more damage.
    I would like scavenger-parts vs civilian-parts vs military-parts vs artefacts/rare-parts...
    • You would use artefacts in very save locations on your ship and with much thoughts if you need it on that ship, because of very limited supply.
    • You would outfit military only in the protected centre of your ship, only elite-ships have a full outfit with these.
    • civilian parts are often used in the hull of military ships to catch stray shots and protect the more vulnerable.
    Scavenger-parts are the least efficient and used in vulnerable exterior locations of poor man ships, for quick fixes after a combat before you get to repair your ship or by pirates when they not find better equipment with this particular function.

With this you could go for either elite ships or big ships, but not both. You would always try to get better, but take very long to reach a fully equipped ship.

Reaction score
    If it's a nice enough ship, core it, enter the core to stop the countdown, then faction block it and fly it home. I'm never the aggressor, so if I end up having to fight someone, damn right I'm takin their ship.

Reactions: FlyingDebris

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I would like scavenger-parts vs civilian-parts vs military-parts vs artefacts/rare-parts...
    • You would use artefacts in very save locations on your ship and with much thoughts if you need it on that ship, because of very limited supply.
    • You would outfit military only in the protected centre of your ship, only elite-ships have a full outfit with these.
    • civilian parts are often used in the hull of military ships to catch stray shots and protect the more vulnerable.
    Scavenger-parts are the least efficient and used in vulnerable exterior locations of poor man ships, for quick fixes after a combat before you get to repair your ship or by pirates when they not find better equipment with this particular function.

With this you could go for either elite ships or big ships, but not both. You would always try to get better, but take very long to reach a fully equipped ship.

This would be better if the parts weren't really classified as such, but were pieces of debris that could be cut off and welded to your own ship. Maybe the classification of devices would be determined by their design efficiency. :I

Reaction score
    Depends on how I'm playing. If I'm doing Roleplay, ALL ships are not-to-be-mined and MUST be saved/attempted to be saved ALL the time. This is either for the purpose of managing a "Used Ship" dealer or personal usage.

That means patch jobs in a different color than the hull, damaged stats, and shipyards.

But if I'm just playing for the sake of playing, then all ships I kill get picked apart for parts, because...save money bro.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I salvage at all costs.
    Not only is it saving money, but it takes a lot of time going to each store for like 100 shields block each :P

Reaction score
    I will usually haul my larger kills back to my junkyard to be used for target practice later. If there is a lot of hardened hull, I will salvage and sell it though.

Reactions: Winterhome

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think that heavily damaging it is more evil for big ships.

Basically, the owner will feel forced to either disasemble it or repair it. Both of which can take a significant amount of time (unless he's using a planet eater of course, but even then...).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the most evil is to dock/place a lot of small cores which are your own in it, rename them to "Teamkill", and pull it between the enemy home-base and spawn (or some other well-known location).

Teamkill, because their turrets will shot their own ship by trying to destroy your cores.
    But it will be difficult to place them without killing the faction module or dying before you can get away. Maybe use a cloak-jammed ship to push your cores in it? :mad:

Reactions: FlyingDebris
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think the most evil is to dock/place a lot of small cores which are your own in it, rename them to "Teamkill", and pull it between the enemy home-base and spawn (or some other well-known location).

Teamkill, because their turrets will shot their own ship by trying to destroy your cores.
    But it will be difficult to place them without killing the faction module or dying before you can get away. Maybe use a cloak-jammed ship to push your cores in it? :mad:
    You made me think of a system where you just have a giant carrier with lots of tiny docks on the bottom of the hull and undock them all as you're flying over their base.

Works especially well if they're on planets because then they'll have so many cores to walk over and such. :)

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I prefer to kill their ship, but with MINIMUM damage.

I will not hesitate to take an enemy's ship and use it against them :D