Read by Council Keypads For Locking

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    K so i don't know if someone has addressed this or not but i thought it would be cool to have keypads to open doors and control logic so if you wanted you could lock your doors and still have a faction permission module without having people break in easily. Here's how i think it could work:

When you place a keypad block you get to set the code to like 1 through 5 numbers, obviously the numbers 1-0,
    once you have set the code you cant change it without removing the block and replacing it so that people cant just change the code on you. If you connect it to a door you have to use the keypad to open and close the door. to close the door you just click on the block and instead of entering the code you just hit a button called 'logic off' or something like that. You can still connect other logic blocks to it so you could add a timer or connect it a rail. And you can connect more than one keypad to a door or logic so you can have one to get in and out. This would enable you to add some cool rp elements to ships and stations or you can make apartments that you can rent.

Edit: so i forgot a couple of things that i don't know if i should specify, the keypad would have an enter button to hit once you have a code typed in and then it would enter so that you cant just type numbers till it works. And another to keep people from hacking easily would be to force them to logout and get back on to enter another code if they get the code wrong three times in a row.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would love multiple ways for players to interact with logic other than just a button and activator. These are as simple as computer interfaces acting as logic interfaces so we can make more aesthetic interactions with our systems. While you can make keypads with logic these devices are massive. Personally I would vote for an interface that acts as a number pad and then have some way of wiring each output as we see fit. Essentially if you want this output to be a pass code you build the system using logic but if you want it to be an interface for say selecting a floor on an elevator that would work as well.

Now if were were to get a single stand alone block that acted as a lock system without the need to build complex devices I certainly would not be apposed. I know not all players will be able to build key code systems or have the room to accommodate these devices.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the keypad system needs to be a computer/module system.

The "computer" would be what you interact with to set the code. The "module" is slaved to this "computer" block.
    (Space saving option: the ability to slave, name, and select different "modules" in the same computer.)
    The "module" would be the keypad, which can then be linked to other things, just like any other activation block.
    The keypad should send a low signal with a correct code, but should send a high signal with an incorrect code. (or vice-versa; I selected the opposite signals from what you might expect on purpose, based on door behavior, without needing a "NOT" block)
    That way, you can have it set something off if there is an incorrect input. Of course, you could link this to logic, so that you can store the number of failed attempts with flip-flops or something, and reset the count on a correct data input. A blank code would be an incorrect code, so it would send a high signal (to close the door if it is not already closed). Of course, you can use a NOT block to reverse the correct/incorrect:eek:pen/close behavior for things like brig cell doors.

The "Computer" that sets the code can be placed in a protected area, so that no unauthorized user can even attempt to change the code. The master/slave link between "Computer" and "Module" should not appear. That would be a security risk.

We still either need new door blocks that only open and close via logic commands, or else we need a change to the existing doors that they will only respond to logic commands when logic is connected to them.

It would be interesting to be able to set the "disconnection" and "destruction" behaviors of the module from the master computer, in case something happens to the master computer (E.g. hacked, destroyed, lagged/glitched). Options: Send high signal (automatically close the door if the control computer or keypad module is destroyed, send a low signal if the control computer is destroyed, return the attached (door) to the default, non-logic behavior (manual open/close), or default: do nothing, but keep logic connected)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think the keypad system needs to be a computer/module system.

The "computer" would be what you interact with to set the code. The "module" is slaved to this "computer" block.
    (Space saving option: the ability to slave, name, and select different "modules" in the same computer.)
    The "module" would be the keypad, which can then be linked to other things, just like any other activation block.
    The keypad should send a low signal with a correct code, but should send a high signal with an incorrect code. (or vice-versa; I selected the opposite signals from what you might expect on purpose, based on door behavior, without needing a "NOT" block)
    That way, you can have it set something off if there is an incorrect input. Of course, you could link this to logic, so that you can store the number of failed attempts with flip-flops or something, and reset the count on a correct data input. A blank code would be an incorrect code, so it would send a high signal (to close the door if it is not already closed). Of course, you can use a NOT block to reverse the correct/incorrect:eek:pen/close behavior for things like brig cell doors.

The "Computer" that sets the code can be placed in a protected area, so that no unauthorized user can even attempt to change the code. The master/slave link between "Computer" and "Module" should not appear. That would be a security risk.

We still either need new door blocks that only open and close via logic commands, or else we need a change to the existing doors that they will only respond to logic commands when logic is connected to them.

It would be interesting to be able to set the "disconnection" and "destruction" behaviors of the module from the master computer, in case something happens to the master computer (E.g. hacked, destroyed, lagged/glitched). Options: Send high signal (automatically close the door if the control computer or keypad module is destroyed, send a low signal if the control computer is destroyed, return the attached (door) to the default, non-logic behavior (manual open/close), or default: do nothing, but keep logic connected)
    this would work but i was thinking more of a lock instead of a central control system, the keypad could be used to simply lock doors like for apartments to rent out or other things. so we have something of the same idea but they would be used for different things.