Keep Damage Pulses (sorta)

How would you like damage pulses to be kept?

• In the form they are in now

• You can slave stuff to them, but you can't slave them to other systems (like salvage)

• Completely remove them

Results are only viewable after voting.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So if your like me and you have a tonne of power regen left in that power 2.0 ship, you add a damage pulse array. They're awesome. So my thought is that instead of ditching them in the weapons update, make them like Salvage. You can slave other systems (and effects) to them, but they cannot be slaved to other systems. This would remove abuse, and would keep the Pulse around.

Also, if the Pulse it's removed, could it become like Old Power? You can use the ones you have and you can manufacture them, but you can't buy them from shops.

EDIT: Damage pulse should be able to be slaved only to another damage pulse. Otherwise, the range is ridiculously low.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd like to see them remain in the game. I created an NPC faction whose unmanned drones are largely damage pulse and very fast, to fly interference for their larger ships. Damage pulses are also great for repelling boarding parties. I would love to see them tweaked to use as anti-missile defenses, since their area of effect would be excellent against swarms of missiles but not godlike as the short range would give such defenses a low reaction time. This is in addition to all the heavy weapon modifications to other weapon systems. Just my two credits.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'd like to see them remain in the game. I created an NPC faction whose unmanned drones are largely damage pulse and very fast, to fly interference for their larger ships. Damage pulses are also great for repelling boarding parties. I would love to see them tweaked to use as anti-missile defenses, since their area of effect would be excellent against swarms of missiles but not godlike as the short range would give such defenses a low reaction time. This is in addition to all the heavy weapon modifications to other weapon systems. Just my two credits.
    Yes. They should be able to be used as AMS. But I think that they should not be able to be slaved to other systems, especially missile, because pulse nukes are insanely slow. .

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My son and I run around together on a server, and we sat down and hashed out a bunch of stuff to make it less frustrating. One of those were missile speeds. We agreed the nukes should be slower than "explosive" effect, but only a little slower. So we nudged up the speeds in the config file. Missiles versus AMS systems have always been something of a sore spot for both of us, since we both think there should be beam AMS and pulse AMS, and we both grind our teeth at the slow reaction times of point-defense systems. Missile spam is a killer for most ships.

As for other systems, I like the cannon/pulse combo as it makes a great high-tech siege weapon. Beam/pulse kinda made sense, but the long reload is tough to reconcile. Pulse/pulse shows up as anti-personnel weapons in ship/station interiors and on the aforementioned NPCs. I dunno... I can see why you would want them solely as an "effect" block, but I do enjoy the novelty of the occasional pulse weapon. On the other hand, this upcoming minelayer weapon strikes me as redundant to drones studded with warheads.

Who know? Maybe the dev team will really wow us with the weapon upgrade. Whenever it decides to show up...

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    My son and I run around together on a server, and we sat down and hashed out a bunch of stuff to make it less frustrating. One of those were missile speeds. We agreed the nukes should be slower than "explosive" effect, but only a little slower. So we nudged up the speeds in the config file. Missiles versus AMS systems have always been something of a sore spot for both of us, since we both think there should be beam AMS and pulse AMS, and we both grind our teeth at the slow reaction times of point-defense systems. Missile spam is a killer for most ships.

As for other systems, I like the cannon/pulse combo as it makes a great high-tech siege weapon. Beam/pulse kinda made sense, but the long reload is tough to reconcile. Pulse/pulse shows up as anti-personnel weapons in ship/station interiors and on the aforementioned NPCs. I dunno... I can see why you would want them solely as an "effect" block, but I do enjoy the novelty of the occasional pulse weapon. On the other hand, this upcoming minelayer weapon strikes me as redundant to drones studded with warheads.

Who know? Maybe the dev team will really wow us with the weapon upgrade. Whenever it decides to show up...
    Yeah I should change my suggestion you should be able to slave it to itself.

Reactions: Donoterase
    Reaction score
    In my view, damage pulse is pretty much completely useless as a close-range primary weapon - shotguns should be improved enough to take over that role, with a tighter cone of fire so they can still be somewhat effective at up to 500m or so and be able to hit properly. Pulse is only really useful as a secondary system, and even that is pretty situational, and on missiles it's even iffier because it slows them down and makes it so much easier to kill them with PD. It'd be better to have an "alpha" effect chamber of some sort, a bit like overdrive was before, perhaps some fusion of pulse's slow reload and overdrive's increased energy cost to amp up damage - but without necessarily sacrificing range and projectile speed upgrades.

Let's see what the weapon update has planned, because as of right now it's kinda hard to make any suggestions without a good idea of what the new mechanics will be that we'd have to work with. I just hope they're more moddable and server-configurable than the current system.

OfficialCoding

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In my view, damage pulse is pretty much completely useless as a close-range primary weapon - shotguns should be improved enough to take over that role, with a tighter cone of fire so they can still be somewhat effective at up to 500m or so and be able to hit properly. Pulse is only really useful as a secondary system, and even that is pretty situational, and on missiles it's even iffier because it slows them down and makes it so much easier to kill them with PD. It'd be better to have an "alpha" effect chamber of some sort, a bit like overdrive was before, perhaps some fusion of pulse's slow reload and overdrive's increased energy cost to amp up damage - but without necessarily sacrificing range and projectile speed upgrades.

Let's see what the weapon update has planned, because as of right now it's kinda hard to make any suggestions without a good idea of what the new mechanics will be that we'd have to work with. I just hope they're more moddable and server-configurable than the current system.
    Personally, I have a weapon on my titan that is Pulse+Pulse+Explosive 100% and it is really good. Sure, it is extremely close range, but if you can get close enough, it will reek havoc. So they should keep it, but make it so you can only slave it to another damage pulse to prevent Pulse abuse.

Reaction score
    Personally, I have a weapon on my titan that is Pulse+Pulse+Explosive 100% and it is really good. Sure, it is extremely close range, but if you can get close enough, it will reek havoc. So they should keep it, but make it so you can only slave it to another damage pulse to prevent Pulse abuse.
    But would it be effectively better than a Can-Mis-Exp shotgun of the same size?