Just Taking a Moment to Sing SMBEdit's Praises

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just wanted to stop and make a public shout out to SgSkallagrim and SMBEdit.

Its a little clunky to use (dude, I can make you a GUI), but dear god in heaven does it ever make building in Starmade *SO* much easier!

Things like letting you move your core/move your station marker alone are invaluable. My latest ship I've got the core floating way off to the side so I could start building the front of the ship and work my way back. When I get to the point I want to finally put the core in for real, its just a quick script command to switch it to exactly where I want.

Also has things like mass find/replace of blocks. So pretty much like the in-game build mode find/replace, only it works across the entire ship/station at the same time. Makes changing the color of a ship/station a breeze compared to trying to piece it together in-game. Can even mass remove blocks by ID, making it very easy to quickly empty out all of the systems in a ship to get back to just the shell.

Hell, it even does hull smoothing!

So yeah, just wanted to give a shout out for what is hands down the most useful Starmade tool out there that I think a lot people still don't know even exists.

Reaction score
    I once had another tool that let me make voxel based entities compatible with SMBE from 3d models. I forgot its name, just remember that it was initially developed for minecraft and that you needed s***loads of RAM to successfully import anything bigger than a 1:2 scaled Star Wars Victory Star Destroyer to SMBEdit. Anyhow, I totally agree with you on SMBEdit being a very useful tool.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Features:
    1. Auto-shape: Set wedges on edges or tetra/corner shapes on corners automatically.
    2. Change entity type
    3. Change entity class
    4. Exchange all hull blocks with std./adv. Armor blocks or the other way around.
    5. Mirror entity at core/center at each axis.
    6. Move core/center
    7. Remove blocks
    8. Removes outdated blocks
    9. Replaces old style docked entities with rail docked entities.
    10. Replace all blocks of a block type with another block type
    5. Does mirror respect logic-links and array-master/slaves?
    6. You may need it once for a creation
    2. 3. 8. and 9. are useful for converting entities and should be in the default game, but not useful to new builds as build tools
    10. is the same as 4.

The most awesome features are thus:
    1. Auto-shape
    4. Block exchange
    But what I miss is an editor to place arbitrary logic and display text. With that I could write a compile-to-smd :)