Jump Drive Range

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I have been looking for an answer without success so I thought I would simply ask.

I have built a survey ship to find asteroid clusters for my planned mining fleet to mine. It is only a small ship and could jump about 15-20km in a single jump. I don't recall the exact figure but it is around that amount.

I found a couple of clusters on the edge of my sector and so jumped back to my homebase to prepare for a mining expedition. It took me a couple of jumps to get there and it got me thinking that there must be a way of increasing the range.

I checked the jump drive and I needed an extra 23 modules. I stopped off at a shop and bought them and fitted them to my ship before taking the last jump home. It was a jump of about 5km further than my last jump so I thought with 100% jump capability I could do this in one.

No such luck! I jumped exactly the same distance as before. My emergency jump with a single module allowed me to jump the last few kilometers home.

I guess it is server specific, but as a rule of thumb, what are the best jump setups and is there any way to increase the range?

It just seemed pointless in adding the extra modules as range stayed the same and charging seemed about the same too. 50+ modules gave me the 15-20km range above but 1 gave me about 3-5km?

Any clues? Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If i remember correctly, jump distances are in sectors, not KM. And by default a jumpdrive can jump 8 sectors.
    As far as i know, the number of modules only affects charge times.

Reactions: therimmer96

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    If i remember correctly, jump distances are in sectors, not KM. And by default a jumpdrive can jump 8 sectors.
    As far as i know, the number of modules only affects charge times.
    Yep, this is the case. IIRC, most servers buff the jump range though because it's so low.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, and more mass or block count(can't remember which) can increase that charge time dramatically, hence the need for more modules. Oh, and if you have enough modules, you can overpower and still charge if someone is running a smaller jump inhibitor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Thanks everyone. It kinda makes sense but it is a shame it cannot be increased (like overdrive does for top speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Or make it possible to slave systems to the JD, FI slave a beam system to increase range and charge time, cannon to reduce both, you you can have a ship with multiple JD's, one to jump large distances slower and several to jump short distances in quicker succession

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    imo, jump drives should look at both ratio and block count.

Overall block count will affect how far, ratio affecting recharge as it does now, providing functionality to carriers with long range jump systems, while a more combat oriented ship may not be able to go as far.